Cake idea, what do you think??

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

htc

Head Chef
I have just recently started using silken tofu, and made some chocolate mousse with it, turned out GREAT! I liked it so much, I was thinking of using it as a "frosting" on a cake.

Here is what I would use: 1 box silken tofu, 8 oz chocolate, melted, 1 banana & a little maple syrup. (this is what I used for the mousse). I would blend all of this in the blender, when it's done, it's kind of runny.

So how would I go about spreading it on a round cake? Should I wait for it to set just a little? Or try to spread it right away? Once it sets, it's thick and I think will be perfect for frosting. Frosting the top of the cake even when it's runny shouldn't even be that much of a problem, but I'm not sure about the sides.

What do you think?? Thanks!:)

Sounds good to me, htc, but I'm no expert. However, I've been thinking of sneaking some tofu in on my family under the cover of puddings, frostings, etc.

If it's runny after blending, my impulse would be to wait until you have a more spreadable consistency. If you spread immediately on a warm cake, it will be even more runny unless you are going for a glaze kind of thing.

Just my amateur 2 cents.

Sounds like a great experiment, htc! I'd definitely wait until the cake is cool to ice it. Like mudbug said, whether or not you wait for the frosting to set a little is up to the result you want. If you think you can put it on when it's runny and it won't run too much, it could be an interesting ganache. If you want more of a traditional frosting consistency, then I'd be sure to let it thicken some first--that goes for if you want to use it between cake layers, too.

Let us know what you decide to do!:chef:

Thanks for the advice! I was also thinking of the ganache thing. :)

Mudbug, I have found ways to sneak tofu/soy protien into their meals by doing stuff like this. I have one more box of silken tofu and am going to try to use that in a spinach dip. Also, try Morning Star breakfast patties or the fake chicken nuggets. I pack that for my son's lunches all of the time. He never notices the difference. Also do boca burgers w/ a little bacon, that's a big hit too.

I've used silken tofu in fruit smoothies for years. Not too many months ago, I posted a recipe under drinks. I've also used silken tofu as the base for a cream-like gravy, similar to a Bechemel, or more accurately, like the gelled semi-liquid in canned cream of mushroom soup.

I don't know how it would work as a cake frosting. I would add a bit of either fruit pectin, or gelatine in the mix, to give it more body and stabilize the liquid. Otherwise, the sponge-like consistancy of the cake may leach the moisture from the tofu and make the cake soggy. But that's just and educated guess. I don't think temperature of the cake is going to play a major factor, as teh tofu texture isn't really affected by heat. To get an idea of that, compare a cube of cold tofu to some that's been suate'd with some other food. The tofu texture retains the "egg-white" texture and feel.

Like you said, experiment, but think about the nature of the ingredients you are using. That will give you a better chance for success when treading into the unknown. Good luck and great experiment. I hope it goes well.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

htc said:
Thanks for the advice! I was also thinking of the ganache thing. :)

Mudbug, I have found ways to sneak tofu/soy protien into their meals by doing stuff like this. I have one more box of silken tofu and am going to try to use that in a spinach dip. Also, try Morning Star breakfast patties or the fake chicken nuggets. I pack that for my son's lunches all of the time. He never notices the difference. Also do boca burgers w/ a little bacon, that's a big hit too.

Haven't experimented with tofu, but recall reading it takes on the flavor of the ingredients you're cooking with. A stir-fry is one idea of sneaking in the tofu. Think I may have seen some recipes for tofu lasagna. Now I'm wondering how it would be in a flan?

Here's a few more ideas: (Hmmm, tofu cheesecake.)

http://www.quonghop.com/recipes/lasagna.htm

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom