"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes
Old 09-30-2006, 10:53 AM   #1
Chef Extraordinaire
Site Moderator
Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Chocolate Cake for all Chocoholics!

After reading Alix talk about going to the chocolate buffet for dessert last night, I got a serious case of the chocolate cravings. I've had this recipe for about 30 years and got it from a neighbor.

Once a year my neighborhood put on a large "block" cookout. Everyone brought dishes that represented their cooking skills - or not - and their ethnic background. It was fun. Afterwards, someone was charged with getting all the recipes and compiling them into a very crude cookbook. Each family received a copy of the cookbook as a memento. When I said lack of cooking skills, one of the women brought "Addie Van Riper's Love Apples." Translated: a plate of sliced tomatoes. Addie couldn't cook. Anything.

At any rate, the cake recipe I'm sharing with you today is just sooooooo chocolatey and good it will satisfy just about any chocolate craving. Enjoy!

(Serves 10 to 12)

1 (2-layer) pkg. Duncan Hines
devils food cake mix
1 pkg. Betty Crocker fudge frosting
1 (8-oz.) pkg. cream cheese,
1 (6-oz.) pkg. semi-sweet
chocolate chips
1 tsp. real vanilla extract
tsp. salt
1 egg
1/3 cup granulated sugar
cup chopped nuts

Prepare cake mix according to package directions. Pour into a well greased and floured tube pan, not a bundt pan. Set aside. In a medium bowl, combine cream cheese, egg and sugar. Mix until well blended. Add chocolate chips, vanilla, salt, and nuts and mix until combined. Drop cream cheese mixture, by spoonfuls, on top of cake batter. Do not get any on tube or sides of pan, but evenly distributed. Bake in preheated 350 oven for 50 to 60 minutes. Cool in pan for 30 minutes, then remove to serving plate. The cream cheese mixture will have settled to the bottom of the pan, which will make it necessary to turn the cake a second time so that the cream cheese bottom layer is at the bottom on the serving plate. Prepare fudge frosting according to package directions. Frost cake. Eat immediately and refrigerate any leftovers.

P.S. No one knows who Finister is, but don't care.

"As a girl I had zero interest in the stove." - Julia Child
This is real inspiration. Look what Julia became!
Katie H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 11:20 AM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire
Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Finister is my newest bestest friend.

In three words I can sum up everything I've learned about life: it goes on. Robert Frost
pdswife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2006, 03:23 PM   #3
Chef Extraordinaire
at pdswife
Kool Aid - Think before you drink.
mudbug is offline   Reply With Quote