Corn Bread Cake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Well this is one that my mom made for me quite a few times. Now that im old enough i can make it for myself, her and anyone else who wants some. It came from The Congressional Club Cook Book, which made the recipe originally for muffins. But I tweaked it (which may be why it doesnt rise all the way up) a bit and now its a cake. Some people might already have all the ingredients on hand.Enjoy!:chef:

1 1/2 cups flour+enough to coat a cake tin
2/3 cup sugar
4 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups corn meal
2 eggs
1 1/2 cups milk
4 tablespoons melted butter+enough to grease a cake tin

Sift flour,sugar,baking powder,salt and corn meal together in a large bowl. Mix together eggs, melted butter, and milk, in a seperate bowl. Add the egg mixture to the dry ingredients, until just well blended, but dont beat. Grease and flour a cake tin, and add the mixture into it. Cook at 450 until a toothpick comes out smooth.

I think it would go good with any kind of pot made food, chili, beans, goulash etc...
Thanks for the recipe.

This is one of those things that I call cake :) To me and my family, corn bread doesn't have sugar in it. BUT I do love corn bread cake :) TY for the recipe Mitch I will try it out for dessert one day.

Wish I'd had some of this last night for dinner, it would have been great with my lentil soup.

And my chickens would have loved the left over crumbs. Corn bread is their favorite treat.:)

IcyMist said:
This is one of those things that I call cake :) To me and my family, corn bread doesn't have sugar in it. BUT I do love corn bread cake :) TY for the recipe Mitch I will try it out for dessert one day.

I always add a little sugar to my cornbread, packaged or homemade. I gives it just little sweetness and keeps it from being bland. I usually only add about 2 tsp per 9 inch or muffins dish.

I guess this goes a little towards what texasgirl said. It's not really to make it that sweet but give it just a little sweetness as to make it taste a bit better, if you know what im trying to say, but of course you could add more to make it sweeter if thats what you want. Also I was thinking about putting cranberries in it. I don't know though i might have to add them while its cooking so they don't sink right to the bottom, i'll try it some time.
Adios.

my mistake

Oh im sorry guys and gals. I think I may have messed up the time and pdswife i think i told you the wrong size I think its a nine inch but an 8 inch might work, i have one in the oven testing it. The time is I think more like maybe anywhere from 20 minutes to 35 at the highest. I am again very sorry.

Back
Top Bottom