Frosting

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mumu

Senior Cook
I am having a problem with the following rec......
Basic Confectioners sugar frosting

2 cups conf. Sugar
2T. Milk
1t. Vanilla
Place the above ingr. in a bowl with only 1/2 of milk. Mix together,gradually add remaining milk 1T at a time, till desire consistency.

To make the above into a glaze add 1 more T. Of milk to thin frosting.

Can the above rec. make a frosting to put on a small cake or cup cakes? I have been trying and I just keep getting a thick drippy like frosting. How is this suppose to be a frosting? I have played with the ratios and still no luck? Is it possible to get the kind of frosting you can put on a small cake. This came from a site called Barry farm......... Basic Confectioners sugar frosting. I am looking for frosting like you would get out of a can of frosting from the store. What kind of consistency should I be looking for from this rec. Thanks.

Last edited:
In order to make frosting with confectioners' sugar, you need butter. Cream sugar & butter, then add vanilla & milk until spreading consistency.

Yup, ya need fat!

Here is a basic recipe from the folks at Domino.

Buttercream Frosting | Domino Sugar

When we were little my Mother used to mix up a teacup sized batch of this basic frosting and spread it on graham crackers.

Be sure to check out the simple variations listed in the recipe.

If you run out of confectioners sugar you can make a small amount in your blender or food processor instead of racing to the store. I find that I need to run my machine a little longer than they do in the video, but it works in a pinch!

Transform Plain White Sugar into Powdered Sugar at Home

Last edited:
In order to make frosting with confectioners' sugar, you need butter. Cream sugar & butter, then add vanilla & milk until spreading consistency.
You do, indeed. I've just spent 5 minutes staring at Mumu's recipe knowing something was missing but unable to spot what it was. Time I went to bed, I think!

You do, indeed. I've just spent 5 minutes staring at Mumu's recipe knowing something was missing but unable to spot what it was. Time I went to bed, I think!

Sometimes the most obvious is planted right on the edge of a wide board waiting to be applied with firmness squarely on top of our head. :angel:

I quit making frosting with powdered sugar when I discovered this:

http://tastykitchen.com/recipes/desserts/thate28099s-the-best-frosting-ie28099ve-ever-had/

For the DH's b'day party I frosted the cake with this made as a chocolate version. All the women asked for it because they really don't like powdered sugar frosting. It is easy to make and you don't need powdered sugar. Yes, it uses a lot of butter, but this makes more than enough to frost a 3 layered cake, so I cut it in half. And it always works, at least for me it does.

Back
Top Bottom