"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-29-2009, 01:29 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Exclamation Help!!! wet cake?

Hi,

Help!! My sponge cakes come out of the oven lovely, the knife comes out of the cake clean so I know there cooked, but after they have cooled I put them in a sealed cake tin, but they go wet why????

Old 03-29-2009, 02:26 PM   #2
Senior Cook

the only thing i can imagine is that they couldn't have been completely cool. Have you considered using a cake stand with a lid? The extra room may make the difference. This is just a guess...

Old 03-29-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Senior Cook

I am going to go with snack_pack85 and say that the the cake was still somewhat hot when you put it away. Just let it cool longer next time. How long did you let it cool? Also can you be more specific on what you mean by wet cake. Do you mean its like someone came and poured water all over it, that wet?
Old 03-29-2009, 03:34 PM   #4
Certified Pretend Chef

My SO used to get impatient with cooling cakes and had the same problem. After some effort she learned that 'completely cooled' meant room temperature, not still warm to the touch.

If you want to be positive, use a thermometer to check the cake in its center. It should be the same temperature as the room it's in.
Old 03-30-2009, 10:48 AM   #5
Assistant Cook

Thanks for all your help,

I thought I had cooled the cake for long enough, but maybe not, it's not wet as in soaked, just sticky wet, i'll leave them out for longer next time. A very helpful site.

Thanks again
Old 03-30-2009, 11:28 AM   #6
Executive Chef

I get impatient with my angel food cake. I have learned I have to just force myself to walk away sometimes. It's hard but cooling takes quite a long time.
Old 04-05-2009, 07:34 AM   #7
Assistant Cook

I find the best way to test if the centre of the cake has cooled enough is to cut a slice and eat it . I also often put a slice of paper towel in the bottom of my tins- though typing this I realise I have no scientific evidence for this, just habit I guess.
Old 04-05-2009, 05:31 PM   #8
Head Chef

Make sure your cake is really done. Some cakes will pass the "clean knife" pr toothpick test an still not be completely done. Most cakes are done when they just begin to pull away from the sides of the pan and bounce back when lightly pressed in the center. If it doesn't pass all three tests, I give it another 5 minutes.

Tags
None