Honey cake and Baking soda

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CharlieD

Chef Extraordinaire
SOS, need advise ASAP.

I have this recipe for honey cake and it calls for soda use and to activate the soda you should use vinegar, and that's all fine, do it all the time, but for this particular situation I will be baking for I can't use vinegar, so I would like to substitute soda for baking powder. The question is how much powder I should use instead of soda? Unit per Unit?

It may not work properly. They aren't totally interchangeable. Can you use lemon juice for the acid?

baking soda = bicarbonate of soda = sodium bicarbonate = bicarb = bread soda Equivalents: One tablespoon of baking soda = 1/4 oz = 7 grams Notes: Baking soda is alkaline, and when mixed with acidic ingredients, it reacts and releases bubbles of carbon dioxide. These bubbles, when trapped inside batter, help baked goods rise. Baking powder contains baking soda, along with acidic salts that react with the soda when they get wet or heated. Recipes that call for both baking powder and baking soda are probably using the baking soda to offset extra acidity in the batter (from ingredients like buttermilk or molasses) and to weaken the proteins in the flour. Omitting the baking soda from these recipes may alter the color or flavor of whatever you're baking, and make it less tender.

Last edited:
Charlie, you will need three to four times as much baking powder to equal the rising power of the soda.

Back
Top Bottom