Icing?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Magia

Cook
I'm one of those people who feels that the best part of any cake is the icing, for sure. But I'm picky... I HATE whipped cream icing (i.e. coolwhip = YUK :sick: !!), I HATE pudding toppings and I HA-HA-HATE gelatine and fruit toppings (unless it is culis or fruit jam -WITHOUT any jelly bits- , on top of a cheese cake, or such). I say sugary, fluffy icing, that's what I'm talking about :pig: ! Now, for some weird reason, I am NO good at putting together a nice confectioners sugar, butter and milk icing... :ermm: I always manage to screw it up and it always comes out too runny. Anyone with a good recipe, recipe tips and flavour variations for GREAT cake icings? Chocolate, lemon, orange, plain white... ?????????

THANKS!

Last edited:
I usually just let about 1/2 cup butter warm up to room temp, then get the beater and whip it. Add about a cup or so of icing sugar, and when it starts to glob up I put a few drops of milk in to loosen it up. Then some cocoa til it looks good, and more icing sugar, then more milk...you get the idea.

Magia, I have several recipes you may be interested in. They're just not saved on my computer so I'll have to dig through my recipe cards later this week and post them for you.

I just use 1 cup icing sugar and just a teaspoon or so of MELTED butter. Mix in any of the following to desired consistency (adding it a teaspoon at a time): water, milk, fruit juice, liqueur, or a combination of any of these. A teaspoon of vanilla added is good too. A drop or two of colouring if desired.

For chocolate icing, I add 1-2 tablespoons cocoa and a pinch of instant coffee.

For passionfruit icing, just toss in the pulp of a couple of passionfruit - possibly no extra liquid will be required.

Mix icing with a knife, or use a stick blender for ultra smoothness (no need for sifting, then)!

If you add too much liquid, add more icing sugar. Just add small quantities at a time.

This is an old recipe I've had around for years; was looking for a frosting recipe that a) wouldn't turn 'hard'; b) would keep a few days; and c), wasn't too, too sweet. Experimented with this, and love it!

FRENCH CREAM FROSTING

In small saucepan, make a paste of 2T flour and ½ cup milk; whisk together to keep smooth over low heat, bring to a boil, and cook til thick. Cool to almost room temp..

In a bowl, cream 4 minutes - ¼ cup crisco, ¼ cup butter, ½ cup sugar. Don't skimp on the creaming - it helps dissolve the sugar!Add 1 tsp. vanilla, and the flour mixture and beat another 4 minutes - again don't skimp; more than 4 minutes makes it even better!

For chocolate, add 1/3 cup cocoa or up to 4 oz melted semisweet..

Makes about 2 ½ cups

Buttercream Icing

From Wilton cakes:

Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:
1/2 cup solid vegetable shortening
1/2 cup butter or margarine*
1 teaspoon Clear Vanilla
4 cups sifted confectioners' sugar (approx. 1 lb.)
2 tablespoons milk**
Cream butter and shortening with electric mixer. Add vanilla. Gradually add sugar, one cup at a time, beating well on medium speed. Scrape sides and bottom of bowl often. When all sugar has been mixed in, icing will appear dry. Add milk and beat at medium speed until light and fluffy. Keep icing covered with a damp cloth until ready to use. For best results, keep icing bowl in refrigerator when not in use. Refrigerated in an airtight container, this icing can be stored 2 weeks. Rewhip before using.

YIELD: 3 cups

*Substitute all-vegetable shortening and 1/2 teaspoon Wilton Butter Flavor for pure white icing and stiffer consistency.

**Add 3-4 tablespoons light corn syrup per recipe to thin for icing cake

Do you like cream cheese based frosting? Cream cheese frosting is my favorite. Here's what you do:

1/4 cup of butter - at room temp
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup of cream cheese - room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all together and voila you have a great frosting! This is tried and true. It is my topping for my cinnamon rolls.

Add more sugar for a sweeter flavor. Less for a more cream cheese type flavor.

Can I jump in with another question? When a recipe calls for a box of powdered sugar, how much is that? I always buy bags of powdered sugar.

My pet hate is recipes which call for 'a box of..' of 'a packet of...'.

I generally interpret that for icing sugar 'a box of...' means 500g (1 lb), or roughly 3 1/2 cups (sifted).

Icing sugar, powdered sugar and confectioner's sugar are all synonyms for the same thing.

Thanks, Daisy! You're a life saver...in the past I've just guessed...mixed in powdered sugar till I thought the consistency was right.

mrsdove said:
Do you like cream cheese based frosting? Cream cheese frosting is my favorite. Here's what you do:

1/4 cup of butter - at room temp
2 cups of powdered sugar
1/4 cup of cream cheese - room temp
1/2 tsp vanilla

Mix all together and voila you have a great frosting! This is tried and true. It is my topping for my cinnamon rolls.

Add more sugar for a sweeter flavor. Less for a more cream cheese type flavor.

Thanks! I LOVE cream cheese based frosting, but as I did not have a recipe, I always messed it up... This one sounds great! Thanks to everyone for sharing their recipes, as well.
:-p

Back
Top Bottom