Icing advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Janet H

Certifiable Executive Chef
Staff member
I am baking a cake for a dear friends b-day party. She has requested an orange cake. I make a killer orange cake - no problem there... but for icing I was thinking of something deep, dark chocolate and smooth in appearance - shiny like a ganache (which I have never made). So I need some help.. The cake will be 10 inches and 4 layers and I was thinking of putting either an orange butter cream between layers or maybe some citrus curd. Any ideas, great recipes or tips for the outside?

Janet I don't have any advice but I just wanted to tell you I nearly shorted out the keyboard from the drool just thinking about this cake! Sounds Awesome!

I am baking a cake for a dear friends b-day party. She has requested an orange cake. I make a killer orange cake - no problem there... but for icing I was thinking of something deep, dark chocolate and smooth in appearance - shiny like a ganache (which I have never made). So I need some help.. The cake will be 10 inches and 4 layers and I was thinking of putting either an orange butter cream between layers or maybe some citrus curd. Any ideas, great recipes or tips for the outside?
The citrus curd sounds lovely but will it survive 4 layers?
kades

The citrus curd sounds lovely but will it survive 4 layers?
kades

Prolly not -I might just do this on the top one and use butter cream for the others. As you can see this is still in the planning stages - but since baking commences tomorrow, I need a plan soon. Any advice is welcome.

Janet, I can provide you with recipes that will make your cake extra special. I just need about a half hour to get DH off to work and then I will give you my ganache glaze and Italian buttercream with lemon curd and/or another curd recipe that I used in a four tier by four inches each wedding cake.

Chocolate Ganache

This couldn't be simpler and comes out smooth and shiny.

1 1/2 cups 60% bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Place chocolate in a heat resistant bowl. On low heat ring the cream so a low simmer and take off heat immediately before it scalds. Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave for about 5 seconds. Start to gently stir cream into the chocolate with a wooden spoon until it is all melted and smooth.

Let the ganache sit for a few minutes before pouring over the cake. Try to pour all over where you want it and avoid spreading as it will affect the sheen.

I like to put a base coat (crumb coat) of buttercream under the chocolate. If you do this, make sure that you have the frosted cake very cold when you add the partly cooled ganache.

This couldn't be simpler and comes out smooth and shiny.

1 1/2 cups 60% bittersweet (or semisweet) chocolate, chopped
1 cup heavy (whipping) cream

Place chocolate in a heat resistant bowl. On low heat ring the cream so a low simmer and take off heat immediately before it scalds. Pour the cream over the chocolate and leave for about 5 seconds. Start to gently stir cream into the chocolate with a wooden spoon until it is all melted and smooth.

Let the ganache sit for a few minutes before pouring over the cake. Try to pour all over where you want it and avoid spreading as it will affect the sheen.

I like to put a base coat (crumb coat) of buttercream under the chocolate. If you do this, make sure that you have the frosted cake very cold when you add the partly cooled ganache.

Yum - oh perfect! How long does this take to cool once it's covered? Does this need to be refrigerated after? How perishable is the ganache?

Last edited:
Once the ganache is set (maybe 10-15 minutes in the fridge, it is pretty durable, as long as it isn't out in the heat.

If you put buttercream underneath and between the layers it will all last awhile. I will do the buttercream one next.

Both chocolate and hazelnuts go great with orange flavor. I've made this frosting many times and it gets great reviews.

Goodweed's Chocolate-hazelnut Buttercream Icing

Ingredients:
1/2 cup (12 tbs.) room temperature butter
4 cups powdered sugar
8 tsp. cocoa
1/2 cup milk
1/2 cup Nutella brand hazelnut spread

Combine milk and powdered sugar in a microwave safe bowl and heat for about 40 seconds. Stir until you the sugar is dissolved into the milk. This will make your buttercream frosting very smooth and creamy. Cream the cocoa powder into the butter until all lumps are gone (use a mixer to make this easy). Slowly add the sweetened milk. Combine with the Nutella until all is blended together.

Making a syrup of the milk and powdered sugar removes all graininess from the icing and gives it a truly luxurious mouth-feel. Of course, you can use the same technique to make any flavored buttercream frosting you desire.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Citrus Italian Buttercream

5 large egg whites at room temperature
1 1/4 cups extra fine sugar (berry, not icing/powdered)
1/4 cup cold water
1 pound unsalted butter at room temperature
2 tablespoons limoncello or 1 tsp of either orange or lemon oil (not extract)

Separate egg whites into mixing bowl (preferred stand mixer with whisk attachment but a deep bowl and hand mixer will work).

Put 1 cup of sugar and the water into a small heavy bottomed pot with a candy thermometer. Heat over medium heat and partially cover the pot with a lid to trap evaporating water which aids in stopping sugar crystals forming on the sides of the pan. Do not stir syrup. You want the syrup to reach 245 on the thermometer.

Have softened butter and an ordinary tablespoon ready, as well as the remaining 1/4 cup sugar ready. .

On high speed, start whipping the egg whites to stiff peaks, like a normal meringue. With the mixer still running, add the 1/4 cup of sugar and flavouring. When the sugar syrup has reached 245 degrees, slowly add the syrup to the meringue while mixer is still on high. After a few minutes reduce the mixer speed to medium for 3 minutes or until the meringue is cooled. Add the butter a spoonful at a time on medium speed. When done, increase the speed to high for 2 minutes or until the butter is fully incorporated and the frosting is fluffy.

Once cooked and mixed, this is a very versatile and durable frosting. You can use it as a filling or crumb layer and it will not break down or go bad when sitting out for hours.

You can add 1 teaspoon vanilla, 1/2 cup dark chocolate or 1/3 cup raspberry puree if you like instead of the limoncello or orange oil.

Hope this helps!

Oh, I get the citrus oils from a little gourmet shop but you may get it at high end grocery stores or restaurant supply stores. It is expensive but a little goes a long way for very natural flavours and you can use it in so many things!

Last edited:
Both these recipes look great! Thanks so much for the prompt responses.

Janet, what about a raspberry swiss meringue buttercream, and a chocolate ganache glaze... Would you be kind enough to post cake recipe, sounds wonderful... :):):)

Today I gave this a whirl and I have increased respect for cake bakers! I got chocolate everywhere.

The ganache recipe was a snap. But... I see that some practice is needed to perfectly judge the cooling temp...next time I will use it a minute or two sooner. Anyway - here are some pics... The icing has shredded orange peel in it and you can see the strands. I added some fun chocolate decorations as this cake is for a b-day party. There will be no writing on the top - only some candles - it's just too pretty to pipe onto.

There was left over ganache and so I dipped a few berries as well.:chef:

Attachments

• marys cake1.jpg
    marys cake1.jpg
    72.4 KB · Views: 184
  • marys cake 2.jpg
    marys cake 2.jpg
    51.9 KB · Views: 189
  • leftovers.jpg
    leftovers.jpg
    58.9 KB · Views: 405
As promised - the cake recipe:

2 buttered and floured 9 inch cake pans
oven - 375

1/2 C butter
2 eggs
2 Cups sugar
2 tsp vanilla
2 T shredded orange peel
1/4 tsp orange extract
1/4 Cup plain or vanilla yogurt

3 Cups all purpose flour - do not sift
1 Tbl baking powder
a little grated nutmeg
pinch of salt.

1 1/2 Cups milk

---
In mixer cream the first 7 ingredients till smooth
Mix the dry ingredients in bowl or bag to combine.
Add dry ingredients to butter mixture 1/3 at a time with each addition followed by 1/3 of the milk
Scrape bowl after all is combined and beat for a minute or two more.
Pour into pans and bake - aprox 25 - 30 minutes.

-------------------------
Make a syrup from 2 Tbl lemon, 2 TBl orange marmalade and 2 Tbls orange liquor and bring to boil to melt and combine.

Make an orange scented butter cream icing.

To assemble:

Trim round top off cakes so that they will be level and smooth. Brush each round with the syrup.

Build cake using butter cream between layers and then coat cake with butter cream in a thin layer (crumb coat). Refrigerate until fully chilled and then add ganache to top (see earlier post for recipe). Chill again for 10 - 15 mins to set ganache. serve at room temp.

Thank you for the recipe Janet, I plan on making it for Dads birthday, however i'm not sure I can make it as beautiful as yours was... My god girl do they call you the acecettes of cake??? :):):)

Thanks goes to and note given for the great ganache recipe from LPBeier which makes a plain layer cake look swanky. I didn't mention in recipe but that cake is made from 4 layers, doubling the recipe to get good height on this cake

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom