"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 09-18-2015, 07:53 AM   #11
Cook

Sued for what?
Well this is her own recipie using the famouse terrys oranges (York uk) and using that as a theme she made a chocolate cake with a hidden layer of orange solidified layer using gelatine. Her invention and it is a well sought after cake. You wouldn't find that recipie on the internet.

Do cake manufactures have interlectual propery rights like car manufacturer's or other things?

Old 09-18-2015, 08:10 AM   #12
Chef Extraordinaire

The written recipe is copyrighted and you can't republish it without permission. But you can try to recreate it. Nothing stops you from doing that.

Old 09-18-2015, 08:25 AM   #13
Cook

would it not make sence to put the chocolate in a the microwave and mealt it first as well as heat the cream. Would spead things up a bit?
Old 09-18-2015, 09:20 AM   #14
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desmond View Post
Yes thanks that is the top part but if you slice it in half you see a thin 1/4 inch yellow orange gelatine. I hope I will not be sued by them as the terries (company) chocolate slices of orange around the top might be patented?
I don't think they would sue if you are just making the cake for your own personal consumption. I would be sued by Hershey's for making smores with their candy bars if that were the case.

Of course, if you were making these cakes to sell for profit, then there would be an issue if they ever found out that their chocolate orange slices were being resold by a consumer for profit.

The cake sounds delicious, by the way.
Old 09-18-2015, 09:21 AM   #15
Cook

Can anyone help on this? In the making of the chocolate cake Carla had a large plastic ring with spokes. The itea is you place it over the cake before it has time to set and leave markings equaly spaced for cutting up the cake.
Old 09-18-2015, 10:28 AM   #16
Ogress Supreme

Site Administrator

This is an American Site, our Copyright Rules have to be followed.

Maybe if you can give us a clear idea of what you are asking, we could be of more assist.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:00 AM   #17
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
would it not make sence to put the chocolate in a the microwave and mealt it first as well as heat the cream. Would spead things up a bit?
When you've never done something before, it's usually best to follow the instructions. Then, if necessary, you can try to improve on it. It only takes a couple minutes for hot cream to melt the chocolate.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:23 AM   #18
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Addie View Post
The gelatin sounds like the old Poke Cake. You poked holes in the top and then poured the gelatin in them.
I remember those cakes. Weren't they popular in the 50's? Gelatin was all the rage and there were recipes for everything using it. I have one of the recipes books that is all gelatin recipes from the 70's and still use it today. I treasure that little book. Some of the flavors aren't available anymore like the vegetable flavor. I so remember at family gatherings someone would have a gelatin dish with shredded carrots in it. I think they used orange gelatin.
The combinations are endless.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:26 AM   #19
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by GotGarlic View Post
The written recipe is copyrighted and you can't republish it without permission. But you can try to recreate it. Nothing stops you from doing that.
I've been published a number of times so I protect my work with a copyright.
Old 09-18-2015, 11:28 AM   #20
Master Chef

Quote:
Can anyone help on this? In the making of the chocolate cake Carla had a large plastic ring with spokes. The itea is you place it over the cake before it has time to set and leave markings equaly spaced for cutting up the cake.

http://www.amazon.com/Ateco-Portion-.../dp/B00504APP6

Tags
cake, chocolate