ISO - One Pan Yellow Cake Recipe

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Does Kelly Anne have an in the pan yellow cake recipe??? I'll check the KA website...

Not likely...I don't think she even knows what a stove or oven are. A fridge holds Coca Cola, food comes from delivery or drive through.

Update

Finally got around to this project again. I gave up on a one pan classic yellow cake and decided to focus on a great recipe instead.

I searched a ton via Google and collected recipes from the King Arthur site, Pillsbury, Martha Stewart and DC. After some thought, I went for a Martha recipe as her quick chocolate cake recipe was such a winner.

The recipe was for two 9" cake pans. I made the full recipe and put it into one 9" springform pan. I didn't use all the batter. I suspect this decision may result in a less than great result as I had to bake it for a really long time. If I use this recipe again, I'd halve it.

I plan on topping the cake with a chocolate glaze and we'll have it for dessert after dinner tonight with my daughter and her family. I'll let you know how it came out.

I find that a recipe that calls for a 9x13 or 2-8" pans does well in a 10" round pan.

bc, I am so glad this subject came up. I presently have two aluminum 8" cake pans. They work fine for me, but I would like to get new ones. Preferably darker ones. So, should I stick with the 8" or go up to the 9"? Most of the cakes I make have a lot of batter. I am going to be making a lemon poppy seed cake with cream cheese frosting and the directions call for a large loaf pan. I want to make it a layer cake. Which pans should I go for? :angel:

I find that a recipe that calls for a 9x13 or 2-8" pans does well in a 10" round pan.

The cake turned out dry and dense as I suspected. It also didn't taste all that good. It had the texture of bread. Next time I'll try one of the other recipes without fiddling so I have a better chance at success.

The cake turned out dry and dense as I suspected. It also didn't taste all that good. It had the texture of bread. Next time I'll try one of the other recipes without fiddling so I have a better chance at success.

Sorry to hear that Andy. I still say the best Chocolate Cake is Hershey's. On the back of the Hershey cocoa can. It is even more richer tasting if you use the Dark Chocolate Special cocoa. So moist and light. Even their frosting recipe is perfect. Not too sweet and real chocolate tasting. You will find it right below the cake recipe. Or you could go to the Hershey site.

https://www.hersheys.com/celebrate/holidays/recipedetail.aspx?id=8108

:angel:

Sorry to hear that Andy. I still say the best Chocolate Cake is Hershey's. On the back of the Hershey cocoa can. It is even more richer tasting if you use the Dark Chocolate Special cocoa. So moist and light. Even their frosting recipe is perfect. Not too sweet and real chocolate tasting. You will find it right below the cake recipe. Or you could go to the Hershey site.

https://www.hersheys.com/celebrate/holidays/recipedetail.aspx?id=8108

:angel:

Thanks Addie but I'm ISO a yellow cake.

I have a yellow cake recipe, for a two layer and it is not mix in the pan.

I would just use a white cake recipe for a mix in the pan and add two egg yolks.

I think my mom used to make a cake from the fannie farmer cookbook that was a lot like this - and it was my favorite as a kid. The Labor Saving Cake. She made hers in a 10 x 10 pan.

Here's a cool write up about it: Vintage Labor Saving Cake Recipe with Broiled Icing | Bake This Cake!

There's a riff on this cake called a lazy daisy cake and is often served with the same toasted coconut icing.

None of these cakes are mixed in the baking pan. The reason for this is the need to cream butter and eggs with sugar. But all of these can be done in one bowl and are pretty easy.

I found some recipes:

Lazy Daisy Cake - Cheater Chef

Lazy Daisy Cake | Never Enough Thyme — Never Enough Thyme - Recipes with a slight southern accent.

bc, I am so glad this subject came up. I presently have two aluminum 8" cake pans. They work fine for me, but I would like to get new ones. Preferably darker ones. So, should I stick with the 8" or go up to the 9"? Most of the cakes I make have a lot of batter. I am going to be making a lemon poppy seed cake with cream cheese frosting and the directions call for a large loaf pan. I want to make it a layer cake. Which pans should I go for? :angel:

nine times out of ten I use 8". If you get straight sided pans with 2" sides you'll get a good, thick cake layer. Run of the mill cake pans with slightly sloped sides (they nestle nicely into each other) usually fall short of 2" usually 1 1/2, they are geared toward cake mixes. The Hershey's chocolate cake recipe bakes a nice thick layer in the 8", and it bakes well.

I really prefer silver aluminum uncoated pans for cake, they bake very evenly without over browning. If you want a darker, non-stick pan, look at USA Pans, they are sold at Amazon, Bed Bath and Beyond, and other outlets. They make a line for King Arthur Flour too, they are excellent pans.

Thanks Janet. I realized early on that a mix-in-pan yellow cake is not feasible for the reasons you stated. Now I'm just looking for a great recipe to add to my repertoire.

I usually make a single layer cake and frost/glaze it. A layer cake it too big and goes stale B4 it gets finished. I'm shooting for a tender, moist and flavorful cake. The Martha recipe I made didn't fill the bill. It's time to move on.

I appreciate the links.

... I have great vanilla cake recipes but they are always technique driven...

bakechef, I'd appreciate your sharing your vanilla cake recipe.

Is there a difference between a vanilla cake and a yellow cake or is that just two names for the same thing?

Thanks Janet. I realized early on that a mix-in-pan yellow cake is not feasible for the reasons you stated. Now I'm just looking for a great recipe to add to my repertoire.

I usually make a single layer cake and frost/glaze it. A layer cake it too big and goes stale B4 it gets finished. I'm shooting for a tender, moist and flavorful cake. The Martha recipe I made didn't fill the bill. It's time to move on.

I appreciate the links.

You can always bake two layers and freeze one, cake freezes very well. You'll have a quick start to a dessert if you need it.

I highly recommend that you try the reverse creaming or "paste" method, it's kind of a backwards way of making cake but produces a light, tender cake and is really EASY to make. I made our wedding cake with this method because of its simplicity, and great texture.

Check this one out.
Plain & Simple Golden Cake | Flourish - King Arthur Flour's blog

bakechef, I'd appreciate your sharing your vanilla cake recipe.

Is there a difference between a vanilla cake and a yellow cake or is that just two names for the same thing?

I just use the term vanilla cake to describe yellow cake. Where I work, we have a lot of immigrants from India and other places and they aren't familiar with the term "yellow" cake, so I always describe it as vanilla cake.

The recipe that I posted is similar to mine.

Here is another that I've tried and enjoyed, it has a tighter texture like pound cake, but lighter texture overall.
All-Occasion Downy Yellow Butter Cake Recipe | Epicurious.com

I'd like add, I use all purpose flour for most of my cakes with good results. The reverse creaming method works well with all purpose since the butter coats the flour and inhibits gluten formation, keeping it tender.

Back
Top Bottom