"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 03-20-2008, 07:54 PM   #21
Head Chef

Thanks Katie, I think I'll do as you suggest tomorrow night. YUM!

Old 03-31-2008, 11:47 PM   #22
Executive Chef

I tried the recipe tonight. It was great! I didn't have any buttermilk, so I jus made some sour milk by adding a little vinegar to sweet milk.

I made this while my other half was out running an errand. I didn't tell her it had coffee in it (she detests coffee). When I finally served it, she ate it. I asked her if she liked it, and she said she did. I looked at my MIL and asked, "Do you want to tell her, or should I?" PeppA started hounding me about it, until a couple minutes later, she said, "Did you put coffee in it?!?!?!" I snickered. She made a beeline for the bathroom and locked the door. Yup, she yacked it back up.

Honestly, if I had waited for several hours, and then told her, she probably would have used me for a punching bag. If I had waited until tomorrow, she would probably have used me for target practice. I think it's all up in her head about not liking coffee.

At least now, all I have to do is make something with coffee in it, and I'll know that she'll leave it alone.

Old 04-01-2008, 12:09 AM   #23
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
I tried the recipe tonight. It was great! I didn't have any buttermilk, so I jus made some sour milk by adding a little vinegar to sweet milk.

I made this while my other half was out running an errand. I didn't tell her it had coffee in it (she detests coffee). When I finally served it, she ate it. I asked her if she liked it, and she said she did. I looked at my MIL and asked, "Do you want to tell her, or should I?" PeppA started hounding me about it, until a couple minutes later, she said, "Did you put coffee in it?!?!?!" I snickered. She made a beeline for the bathroom and locked the door. Yup, she yacked it back up.

Honestly, if I had waited for several hours, and then told her, she probably would have used me for a punching bag. If I had waited until tomorrow, she would probably have used me for target practice. I think it's all up in her head about not liking coffee.

At least now, all I have to do is make something with coffee in it, and I'll know that she'll leave it alone.
Golly darn, Allen. I couldn't have asked for a better endorsement of this cake. Can't wait to recommend it to others.

Sorry she didn't (?) like it. But, more, how did you like it? (Great is okay.) I would be interested. I know you got it ALL to yourself, but was that your intention?
Old 04-01-2008, 09:54 AM   #24
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie E View Post
Golly darn, Allen. I couldn't have asked for a better endorsement of this cake. Can't wait to recommend it to others.

Sorry she didn't (?) like it. But, more, how did you like it? (Great is okay.) I would be interested. I know you got it ALL to yourself, but was that your intention?
ROTFLMAO!!!!!

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2008, 12:22 PM   #25
Executive Chef

It was great. I've got to make it again, preferably with the buttermilk. I only got three pieces (out of twelve). The kids all got a piece, MIL got at least two pieces, and PeppA got once (that made a reappearance). There was one piece that was MIA when I got up the next morning. I'm assuming either MIL or the oldest boy got it. I know my MIL was up at 0500 for a breathing treatment, so she might have "helped herself". She definitely has a sweet tooth.
Old 04-02-2008, 12:44 PM   #26
Senior Cook

Location: NJ for the moment, heading south next spring to be with my family.
Sounds wonderful! I can't help but wonder if 1/2 coffee 1/2 kahlua would work??? Sorry...can't help myself..
Old 04-03-2008, 11:01 AM   #27
Executive Chef

Don't GET me started!

I may have to post a recipe I have for Chocolate Pudding Cake. The resulting product is like a large brownie floating over it's own hot fudge sauce. Can't remember if it gets Kahlua or not.
Old 04-03-2008, 01:33 PM   #28
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by AllenOK View Post
Don't GET me started!

I may have to post a recipe I have for Chocolate Pudding Cake. The resulting product is like a large brownie floating over it's own hot fudge sauce. Can't remember if it gets Kahlua or not.
OH!!!! That sounds wonderful...Please post the recipe!!!

"What we do, more than anything we say, reveals what we truly value the most." - An Unknown Soldier
BettyR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2008, 03:39 PM   #29
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to suziquzie
Katie....
I am going to use this for legogirls' birthday party cake on Saturday...
:)
but I'm turning it into Black Forest and putting cherry pie filling between to layers of it.....
will my filling need to be thickened a bit or will this be a soft enough cake that the cherries wont squish out when I slice it?
Now to find a sinful chocolate frosting......

cake is served at 3 if you can't stand the drooling folks...
:)
Old 11-13-2008, 04:01 PM   #30
Chef Extraordinaire

Suz
this is a wonderful moist cake..We love it and serve it with just powdered sugar on top, if we want to be fancy we put a dollop of whipped cream...You can't lose with this cake.
kades

Tags
None