"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-20-2006, 01:12 PM   #1
Cook

Need Cake Baking Advice

I was wondering if anyone could help me with some cake advice. Several months ago I made a white cake from scratch and the recipe called for the whole egg instead of just the whites. I cooked it in my clear, glass pan in my so called "oven" lol and it came out way to heavy. I absolutely adore heavy cake but this was TOO heavy. My oven is an overgrown toaster oven with two burners on top which is very common in Bulgaria and works fine for most things but I'm wondering if there is an adjustment in the temperature and baking time I should make due to the oven and glass pan. My oven is about 15" long and 12" tall.

Old 05-20-2006, 05:48 PM   #2
Senior Cook

hmm would have to look at the recipe.. can u post it?

Old 05-20-2006, 06:43 PM   #3
Cook

Cake recipe

This isn't the one I made that came out heavy but it's one that I want to make so it's more important lol. This is a pineapple upsidedown cake which is a bit different from the one I made but I definitely don't want it to come out heavy.
Old 05-20-2006, 06:48 PM   #4
Cook

Recipes

LOL silly me, I forgot to paste the recipe. I found the one I made that came out heavy. Here it is:
2/3 c butter
1 3/4 c sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 vanilla
3 c flour
2 1/2 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1 1/2 c milk
Bake at 350 for 30-33 mins in 9x13 pan (my pan is oval but the same size)

Here is the pineapple upsidedown cake recipe that I want to make now
1/4 c. butter
1/2 c. packed brown sugar
1 c. cake flour
1/2 c. sugar
1 tsp. baking powder
1/4 tsp. salt
1/4 c. butter, softened
1/2 c. milk
1 egg
1/2 tsp. vanilla
1 can pineapple slices in syrup
Bake at 375 for 30-35 mins
Old 05-20-2006, 07:08 PM   #5
Senior Cook

You have me stumped!HOWEVER The recipes look normal. In #1 recipe you might try half or all cake flour. Your flour may be high protein and high gluten that is best for breads. I assume that you cream your butter and sugar and eggs well before folding in dry ingred. alt. with milk. Flour can make a very big difference and flour varies in different areas/countries of the world.
Old 05-20-2006, 07:54 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana
I was wondering if anyone could help me with some cake advice. Several months ago I made a white cake from scratch and the recipe called for the whole egg instead of just the whites. I cooked it in my clear, glass pan in my so called "oven" lol and it came out way to heavy. I absolutely adore heavy cake but this was TOO heavy. My oven is an overgrown toaster oven with two burners on top which is very common in Bulgaria and works fine for most things but I'm wondering if there is an adjustment in the temperature and baking time I should make due to the oven and glass pan. My oven is about 15" long and 12" tall.
Hi Arcana. I seem to recall a post long ago re a similar oven and adapting recipes. Did the oven come with a manual or recipes? If not, perhaps you can get one from the manufacturer. Cake/baking can be tricky in the best of circumstances - proper pans, temp, etc. Hope someone has an answer.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:31 PM   #7
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Timeloyd
Your first recepie reminds me of a cookie recepie except for the milk. I think you should have used more liquids.

Basic Cookie Recepie

! Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar
3 Cups Flour
1 Egg
1 tbs Baking Soda
2 tbs Baking Powder or more if cutting back on Baking Soda.
Add Choc Chips, Oatmeal, etc.

To the cake recepie try adding 1/3 cup oil in place of the butter and adding 2 1/2 Cups soda pop, cold cocoa, or other liquid to it instead of 1 1/2 Cup milk. More liquid should make it lighter.
If you use a flour made from nuts like Acorns can also mqake it heavier. I think you may need more liquid.
Old 05-20-2006, 10:34 PM   #8
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Timeloyd
Your first recepie reminds me of a cookie recepie except for the milk. I think you should have used more liquids.

Basic Cookie Recepie

1/2 Cup Butter
1 Cup Sugar
3 Cups Flour
1 Egg
1 tbs Baking Soda
2 tbs Baking Powder or more if cutting back on Baking Soda.
Add Choc Chips, Oatmeal, etc.

To the cake recepie try adding 1/3 cup oil in place of the butter and adding 2 1/2 Cups soda pop, cold cocoa, or other liquid to it instead of 1 1/2 Cup milk. More liquid should make it lighter.
If you use a flour made from nuts like Acorns can also mqake it heavier. I think you may need more liquid.
Old 05-21-2006, 10:16 AM   #9
Cook

Cake Flour

Thanks for all the tips everyone:)
Swann, you probably have a very valid point about the flour. Making bread is a big deal here so maybe I should get some cake flour but, if I do, do I need to lower the amount of baking powder? And if so, how much?
Old 05-21-2006, 03:47 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arcana
Thanks for all the tips everyone:)
Swann, you probably have a very valid point about the flour. Making bread is a big deal here so maybe I should get some cake flour but, if I do, do I need to lower the amount of baking powder? And if so, how much?
No you do not need to change the amt of baking powder. You could add 1/4 tsp of baking soda to the cake. I know that European flour is very different so when I make spatzle I mix high protein flour with all purpose flour and semolina for the right texture. Pie crust here I mix half cake flour with all purpose to lower the protein.... it is best made with soft wheat flour. I buy bread flour of hard winter wheat.

Tags
None