"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-18-2008, 03:11 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Send a message via MSN to LeafsFan1122
Need Help: Celiac Chocolate Cake

Hey everybody,

I just started culinary college a cuple weeks ago and I have been given an assignment in which I'm having difficulties with.

The assignment is to find a regular chocolate cake recipe and modify it to make it into a celiac-friendly recipe.

Other than replacing our regular flour with gluten-free flour, are there any other obvious replacements that I can make?

Also, I'm confused about "yield" ... how do you calculate the yield when it is not given in a recipe?

Thanks for your help.

Old 02-18-2008, 08:51 PM   #2
Master Chef

Well, I don't know about converting recipes, but here is an existing recipe for chocolate cake from the Celiac website:
One-Bowl Flourless Chocolate Cake (Gluten-Free)
I was thinking that if you found a similar one bowl chocolate cake recipe you could compare them and determine what you have to modify to make it celiac friendly.
IE don't use the recipe I post, but use it as a guideline for how to modify a standard chocolate cake recipe.
Otherwise, browse their website and see if they have the answers to your questions about what has to be replaced and how to calculate yield. Somehow I think there is bound to be a trial and error part to all this...

Old 02-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #3
Senior Cook

As well as substituting wheat flour for gluten free you may have to seek out gluten free baking powder.
Also, you may want to investigate the method you might use. By this I mean experiment with the whisking method of making cakes. In this, eggs are whisked with sugar and flour is folded in. It might be possible to use cornflour or gluten free flour for this method, using either coca powder or melted chocolate.

The yield is determined by how many portions you get out of the cake once it is finished and you will need to make it to find that out as it will depend on the size of tin(s) used and the depth of the finished cake plus what might be considered a reasonable portion.

If you do a google search for "Coeliac Society" you should find some that will provide useful information for you.

All the best with your project,
Archiduc
Old 02-22-2008, 05:56 AM   #4
Cook

Search
1. "celiac" as well as "coeliac"
2. GF
3. gluten-free
[note: wheat-free is not the same as gluten-free because some other grains have proteins so similar to gluten that they cause an allergic reaction as well]

Archduc, your "english roots" are showing ..

Tags
None