Powdered sugar artwork?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SwedishChef

Assistant Cook
So I'm going to make a "kladdkaka", a Swedish cake whos closest comparison is the brownie, the 27th for a baking competition, and I want to have it look nice aswell as taste divine.

The tasting divine-part I've got down. Apart from my regular recipe, I'm going to try and find a special chocolate that was sold this summer (regular milk chocolate, with freeze-dried strawberries in it), and have it melted on the cake.

Instead of just putting pieces of it on the top and letting it melt, I thought I'd make some pattern or artwork on the cake, using powdered sugar and then carving out a "moat" on the top and filling that with the melted chocolate.

So the question is what artwork should I have? I don't want something like a soccer ball, a flag, or a cross, or a house, but rather something more like real art.

I'm very good with photoshop, so I can make black & white silhouettes of a picture etc, so it doesn't have to be a ready-to-print form. Any idea, picture, something you've done yourself, or just a general tip or experience on the subject is welcome!

A snowflake would be pretty. You can cut a pattern from a piece of newspaper, lay it on top of the cake, then sprinkle with the sugar. I would stop there.
If you want to use the chocolate, why don't you melt it, drizzle it all over the top of the cake and garnish with fresh strawberries. You could brush the berries with egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar to make them glisten.

A snowflake would be pretty. You can cut a pattern from a piece of newspaper, lay it on top of the cake, then sprinkle with the sugar. I would stop there.
If you want to use the chocolate, why don't you melt it, drizzle it all over the top of the cake and garnish with fresh strawberries. You could brush the berries with egg white and sprinkle with granulated sugar to make them glisten.
Great ideas, but I think I'll skip the strawberries. At least until the summer when I can use our own strawberries. Storebought strawberries are just big and tasteless compared to real Swedish strawberries. I hate the weather in Sweden, but it does make the strawberries taste oh so much better :chef:

Unless something better comes along, snowflake it is! Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom