Tie-dyed Red Velvet Cheesecake

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Constance

Master Chef

Attachments

• tie-dyed red velvet cheesecake.JPG
    tie-dyed red velvet cheesecake.JPG
    14.4 KB · Views: 308
I was looking for something a little different and came across this thread so I decided to make one…. Well I actually made two, I’m going to give the other one to my sister…. She’s just had surgery and she needs a little pick me up.

It is really good but it didn’t turn out the way I expected. I ended up with a red velvet cake with cheesecake frosting. The dessert it total heaven; your eyes roll back in your head when you take a bite but it’s still not what I was looking for.

I made the Red Velvet Cake from scratch then I doubled the cheesecake recipe and divided the cheesecake batter between the two pans.

Next time I’ll cut the cake recipe down to 1/4 it’s original size and double the cheesecake recipe for one pan.

img_530538_0_074e3404e5193bb9949f43899931bf3b.jpg

img_530538_1_aa6a8548c1891327d96c26c2743a410b.jpg

Thanks for giving it a trial run, Betty! My daughter is the cake baker, and I haven't given her this recipe yet. I'll send it on to her!

This was a lot of fun to make and I really can’t decide if I like it the way it is or if I should go for more cheesecake and less cake next time.

Everyone that I’ve given some to so far has loved it the way it is; so I may just leave well enough alone.

OOOOOOO thank you!
I try to make a new cake for each kid's party. The boys are next week and I think I found it!

What kind of coloring did you use? I see gels and liquids and powders:wacko:

Also, if you froze the cake first could it be cut cleanly like the first picture? The first picture almost looks like its only cake and no cheese cake. Could I do the same thing with a yellow cake mix, then ice it?

(sorry for all the questions, I cant bake for shitake mushrooms)

What kind of coloring did you use? I see gels and liquids and powders:wacko:

Also, if you froze the cake first could it be cut cleanly like the first picture? The first picture almost looks like its only cake and no cheese cake. Could I do the same thing with a yellow cake mix, then ice it?

(sorry for all the questions, I cant bake for shitake mushrooms)

I used the Wilton gels; they sell them at WalMart in the craft section of the store.

If by the first picture you mean the one that Constance posted at the very beginning of this thread that picture is all cheesecake and very little cake at the very bottom. It's very easy to cut a cheesecake and then clean the edges up.

Yes you could make a yellow cake and color the batter and then put the batter in the cake pans one spoonful at a time and make a tie-died cake.

When you put the batter in the cake pans you want to arrange the colors by placing them in the pans one dollop at a time and then don't swirl them.

If I were going to do that I would color my frosting 3 different colors and frost each layer of the cake a different color.

This recipe will give you 3 very nice layers using a cake mix.

Three Layer Cake From A Box

1 box cake mix (I use Duncan Hines)
1-teaspoon baking soda
1 stick of butter – softened
3 large eggs
1-tablespoon vinegar
1/2-cup sour cream
Enough milk to make 1-1/3 cup
1-tablespoon vanilla

Preheat oven to 350° or 325° for dark or coated cake pans.

Prepare 3 / 9-inch cake pans by cutting wax or parchment paper rounds to fit in the bottom of the pans. Spray or butter the pans then place the paper rounds into place; spray or butter the paper.

In a 2-cup liquid measuring cup place the 1 tablespoon of vinegar and the 1/2-cup of sour cream then add enough milk to make 1-1/3 cups; stir to combine. Add the vanilla to the sour cream mixture.

Put the cake mix and baking soda in an electric mixer bowl; stir well to mix the ingredients. With a pastry cutter cut the butter lightly into the cake mix; DO NOT OVER WORK. Add the eggs and sour cream mixture. Beat on low speed for 30 seconds to combine, stop mixer and scrape the sides of the mixer bowl; then beat on medium speed for 3 minutes.

Divide the batter equally between the pans and bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until tooth pick inserted into middle of cake comes out clean

Remove the pans from the oven and allow them to cool on cooling racks for 15 minutes then remove the cakes from the pans and allow them to cool completely.

This cake was made with this recipe and I added cinnamon to the batter and the frosting to make a Snickerdoodle cake.

img_531003_0_33c32b389b2500b7bcf7fe481444d9e2.jpg

So here's my 2 cents on the tye-dye cheesecake.
Skip the cake layer, stick with the same ol' graham cracker crust. You cant taste the cheesecake. I even made 1 1/2 the recipe for the cheesecake part just because I have a bigger springform pan.
It did get ooohs and aaahs when I set it on the table though, and my 4yo LOVED making all the colors.
And no way no how could I cut thru it cleanly. :( The knife ruined the effect inside the cake.

So here's my 2 cents on the tye-dye cheesecake.
Skip the cake layer, stick with the same ol' graham cracker crust. You cant taste the cheesecake. I even made 1 1/2 the recipe for the cheesecake part just because I have a bigger springform pan.
It did get ooohs and aaahs when I set it on the table though, and my 4yo LOVED making all the colors.
And no way no how could I cut thru it cleanly. :( The knife ruined the effect inside the cake.

Sorry it didn't turn out the way you wanted it. :(

Shut the front door!:LOL:
THAT IS GORGEOUS, I may have to try it just to see if it actually works!:wacko:
BettyR, thanks for putting that in here for us to emulate, your version.
Constance, thanks for putting this in here for us.
I will try this at either my sons house, or at my daughters house.
I am forever trying to come up with something amazing for dessert to knock everyone's socks off. This would do it, lock/stock/barrel.

This looks great, I can't wait to try it. Thanks a bunch for the idea. I'm thinking I'll just alter my regular cheesecake recipe (I usually make a spongecake crust, which I'll replace w/ red velvet.) Then I'll take Jeekinz' advice and try freezing the cake before slicing it. I can see how all the colors would gooze together when slicing...

This cake would be perfect with variations for the Super Bowl... Show off your favorite team's colors! Also will be nice for Easter, Christmas, or with gradient reds and pinks over red velvet at Valentine's Day (ooh la la).

Back
Top Bottom