"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 02-20-2006, 11:46 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Thumbs up TNT French Apple Cake

Like an upside down apple cake. It is delicious!!!
French Apple Cake
¼ cup (½ stick) unsalted butter
1 ¾ cups sugar*
1/3 cup water
¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
2 large Granny Smith apples (about 1 ¼ pounds), peeled, cored, thinly sliced
1 cup all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
¼ teaspoon salt
3 large egg yolks
2 large eggs
3 ½ tablespoons Grand Marnier
2 teaspoons vanilla
½ cup (1 stick) unsalted butter, melted

1. Preheat oven to 350°F. Butter 9-inch-diameter cake pan (or pie pan) with 2-inch-high sides. Coat pan with sugar; tap out excess.
2. Melt ¼ cup butter in large skillet over medium-high heat. Stir in 3/4 cup sugar, water and cinnamon and bring to boil.
3. Add apples and cook until apples are just tender, turning frequently, about 15 minutes. Remove apples, using slotted spoon, and arrange evenly and if desired decoratively in bottom of pan. I just pour them in and it still looks great.
4. Continue boiling liquid in skillet until thick and syrupy, about 4 minutes. Pour over apples.
5. Sift flour, baking powder and salt into small bowl.
6. Whisk remaining 1 cup sugar, egg yolks, eggs, 3 TBS Grand Marnier and vanilla in large bowl to blend. Gently stir in dry ingredients. Fold in 1/2 cup melted butter.
7. Pour batter over apples in pan. Bake until toothpick inserted into center of cake comes out clean, about 45 minutes.
8. Cool cake in pan 5 minutes. Brush bottom of cake with ½ TBS Grand Marnier.
9. Run small sharp knife around side of pan to loosen cake. Turn cake out onto platter.
Serve warm or at room temperature with vanilla ice cream or whipped cream.
*by the way, I made this last night and thought it was too sweet. When I make this again, I'll reduce the amounts of sugar. Maybe 1/2 cup with the apples and 3/4 in the cake. I think I'll also up the apples, maybe 4 next time.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:26 AM   #2
Executive Chef

Cora, this looks luscious! The Grand Marnier must give the cake a whole new flavor. Saved for a special occasion. Thank you!!! Ooh-la-la.

Old 02-21-2006, 01:29 AM   #3
Contest Winner

Do you think another kind of apple would work for this? Braeburn or golden delicious, perhaps?

I really dislike granny smith apples, but this recipes sounds yummy.
Old 02-21-2006, 05:42 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Other apples would be fine, just pick one that holds its shape during cooking; ie, a MacIntosh would just turn into applesauce when cooked, but something like a Fuji or Braeburn would be fine. I'm not partial to the 'delicious' apples, because I think all their deliciousness has been bred out of them!
Old 02-21-2006, 06:19 AM   #5
Head Chef

Not one use to cooking with alchol, other then wine once in a awhile. What is Grand Marnier and is there something to subsitute it with. This sounds good and would like to try it.
Old 02-21-2006, 06:36 AM   #6
Head Chef

Corazone 90
Did some research on Grand Marnier- orange flavored liqeur and found this at
http://homecooking.about.com/library.../aa092302a.htm
If you don't want to go to the expense of using the liqueur or just do not want to use an alcohol, orange juice concentrate can usually be successfully substituted in most recipes.
My next question using the orange juice concentrate - will it really change the taste?
thanks
Old 02-21-2006, 07:25 AM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
YUM!! I love apple cakes in all forms, always looking for a new variation... this certainly looks like a winner!!
Old 02-21-2006, 12:58 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Apple cakes are so good. Thanks for the recipe.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:26 PM   #9
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by letscook
Corazone 90
Did some research on Grand Marnier- orange flavored liqeur and found this at
http://homecooking.about.com/library.../aa092302a.htm
If you don't want to go to the expense of using the liqueur or just do not want to use an alcohol, orange juice concentrate can usually be successfully substituted in most recipes.
My next question using the orange juice concentrate - will it really change the taste?
thanks
lets cook! I'm not so sure about the oj. I think you'd have better luck omitting the Grand Marnier altogether. I think I made it like that years ago, but frankly I just can't quite remember.
Old 02-21-2006, 01:39 PM   #10
Executive Chef

I would not alter/change a thing! The combo of the oj, grand marnier, and apples, to me, is what makes cora's original recipe A+ If a recipe appeals to me, I make it in it's entirety. That is not to say one could not sub ingredients... but I think the recipe as it stands would be compromised in flavor, baking time, etc. if major ingredients are substituted.

Tags
None