"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cakes & Cupcakes

Old 05-11-2006, 05:00 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Unhappy What did I do wrong? My cake was gooey instead of cakey.

I found this recipe for a chocloate chip cake in a magazine. The ingredients are
200 grams flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2teaspoon baking soda
140 grams sugar
110 ml oil or melted butter
1 cup condensed milk
100 grams chocolate chips

sifted the dry ingredients together
mixed sugar, melted butter and condensed milk. at this stage i added an egg, though not mentioned.
mixed in t he dry stuff and then folded in the chocolate chips
preheated oven at 180 degrees celcius. then i put the mixture into a 9 inch square tin.
the book said it would take 30 mins, but even after 20 mins the toothpick came out all sticky whereas the top was browned.
to prevent further browning i covered the tin with a foil till it was completly baked (total time 45 mins as compared to what was mentiond, i.e. 30 mins)

when the cake was in the oven it looked nice and well risen in the but after i removed it sank in the centre whereas the sides were perfect and tall..

finally the texture was gooey instead of cakey.

i liked the taste though
I don't know what I did wrong. Can somebody please help me?

Old 05-11-2006, 07:15 AM   #2
Assistant Cook

It could be just a bad recipe. It could be a missing ingredient. I don't think there is much way to tell unfortunately.

Old 05-11-2006, 08:58 AM   #3
Executive Chef

Sounds like the oven temperature was too hot, causing the top to brown and the inside uncooked. Try lowering the temperature if you try this recipe again.
Old 05-11-2006, 09:50 AM   #4
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Seems to me, too much liquid (1cup of condenced milk!?) with too little solidifying agent (no eggs?). You went in a right direction, IMO, to add an egg, but I would think more (about 3) and less condenced milk, or partially substituting with powdered milk may help, though it is hard to tell exactly how much...
Old 05-11-2006, 10:12 AM   #5
Senior Cook

What do I do to make the cake rise well? Not just for this cake, its happened once or twice. How do I make sure it never happens? (i've tested my baking powder before putting it in the cake, so thats not the problem I'm guessing)
Old 05-11-2006, 10:15 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
I often mix AP flour with either corn or potato starch (anywhere from 3/4-1/4, to half/half, if you want it really fluffy). This contributes to the rising power, usually.
Old 05-11-2006, 11:24 AM   #7
Everymom

I'm with urmaniac on the too much liquid thing. 200g of flour and 140g of sugar is not much for one full cup of condensed milk. I'm thinking you could up the flour a bit and it would solve the issue. BTW, does it bug you a bit when recipes bounce between metric and imperial? I wish they would just stick to one when they print them.
Old 05-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaheen
I found this recipe for a chocloate chip cake in a magazine. The ingredients are
200 grams flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2teaspoon baking soda
140 grams sugar
110 ml oil or melted butter
1 cup condensed milk
100 grams chocolate chips

sifted the dry ingredients together
mixed sugar, melted butter and condensed milk. at this stage i added an egg, though not mentioned.
mixed in t he dry stuff and then folded in the chocolate chips
preheated oven at 180 degrees celcius. then i put the mixture into a 9 inch square tin.
the book said it would take 30 mins, but even after 20 mins the toothpick came out all sticky whereas the top was browned.
to prevent further browning i covered the tin with a foil till it was completly baked (total time 45 mins as compared to what was mentiond, i.e. 30 mins)

when the cake was in the oven it looked nice and well risen in the but after i removed it sank in the centre whereas the sides were perfect and tall..

finally the texture was gooey instead of cakey.

i liked the taste though
I don't know what I did wrong. Can somebody please help me?
The problem might be adding the egg, since you mentioned the recipe did not call for it.

What do I do to make the cake rise well? Not just for this cake, its happened once or twice. How do I make sure it never happens? (i've tested my baking powder before putting it in the cake, so thats not the problem I'm guessing)

Beating the egg(s) may have something to do with it not rising. Think you want to incorporate air -- make it airy and light. If you're beating whites separately, for let's say a souffle, make sure there is no yolk in the whites, beaters are clean, eggs are at room temp. Don't overbeat the whites - I think this causes them to break. They should be glossy. If recipe says to fold in the ingreds (dry & wet), do it gently, but make sure everything is combined thoroughly so it will bake evenly. Hope that helps.
Old 05-11-2006, 02:06 PM   #9
Executive Chef

The recipe sounds more like a 'chocolate chip cookie bar' to me, than a true 'cake'. Maybe it was supposed to be gooey? Where did the recipe come from?
Old 05-11-2006, 07:53 PM   #10
Cook

Send a message via MSN to Timeloyd
I have a way to get moisture out of a cake which I consider the secret part of my recepie and so don't include in my recepies. It is very simple.
When the cake is done I leave it out until the cake pan is real cool. Then leaving it uncovered I put the Chocolate Cake (you can use any kind)
in the refrigerator on the botton shelf for a day or two. The refrigerator pulls moisture out of any open foods in it. Thus it removes moisture from my cake since it is uncovered.. Never leave anything uncovered in refrigerator unless you want the refrigeator to remove moisture from it.
I then remove the cake from the refrigerator and cover with the iceing and return it uncovered to the bottom shelf of my refrigerator and leave it another day or two d epending on how I want it. I go by site~texture . It takes 2 to 4 days to remove moisture from cake this way so I usually make my Chocolate Fudge Cake a week before I need to serve and share it. It
is also one of the reasons my recepie is hard to duplicate.
If you leave a Chocolate Fudge Cake in the refrigerator uncovered too long it may come out like a Brownie, instead of a Chocolate Fudge Cake with Iceing, etc....

For my Trekken Double Chocolate Fudge Cake RECEPIE IN CAPITAL LETTERS, and the JOURNAL OF THE USSChocolattaa, how she turned into Chocolate and what happened to her go ~=O
http://community.webtv.net/Timeloyd/USSCHOCOLATTAA

Timeloyd Rich

Time is an illusion. Lunch time doubly so.
Ford Prefect ~ The Hitchhiker's Guide To The Galaxy

Tags
None