Cake Mix Cookies!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

auntieshelly

Senior Cook
Hello Everyone ~
I've always made cookies from scratch, but when I read several posts here about making cookies from cake mix, I decided to try it. Well, I was pleasantly surprised -- the cookies turned out great. I used a yellow cake mix, 1/2 cup oil, and 2 eggs. I added chocolate chips and walnuts. They were delicious -- a little crispy on the outside and cake-like in the center -- and soooooo much easier to make than scratch cookies! Two questions for you cookie experts: I stored the cookies in a plastic container and noticed that they are crispy this morning. I don't mind crispy, but is this typical of these cookies or should they be stored differently? Also, has anyone ever tried using melted butter instead of oil? I'm off to the grocery store now -- they have Betty Crocker and Pillsbury cake mixes on sale for $1 each! I'm storing up for the holidays!!

there are a lot of people here that make cake mix cookies. some have gotten very inventive. don't know why they would get crispy though. butter would work i think, richer taste probably and maybe spread a little more.

there is a thread called "cake mix cookies" do a search and you will find many very unique variations.:chef:

Thanks, Babe, for the information. I bought several flavors of cake mix today and will probably use the spice cake mix next for cookies. I think I will add pecans and golden raisins and instead of 1/2 cup oil, I will use 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup melted butter. I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks, again, for the help.

auntieshelly,
love cake mix cookies, here is another easy one for your spice cake mix i posted awhile back , 2 ingredients only--- spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin (not pie pure pumkin) good with rasins added also

bake 350 8-10 min

I usually bake my cake mix cookies at 350 degrees. Most of the time I bake them for about 13 to 15 minutes, depending on how large the cookies are. I typically get about 3 to 4 dozen out of each batch.

When it comes to combinations, the possibilities are endless. Last week I used strawberry cake mix and added vanilla chips and chopped nuts.

I'm thinking about making some pina colada ones by using white cake mix (or coconut cake mix), shredded coconut and pineapple and some rum or rum flavoring.

You can get loads of ideas by going to the "bits" shelf of the baking section of your grocery store. It's amazing what you can add to cookies.

Here are two I make:

Lemon Cookies
1 lemon cake mix 1 egg 4 oz cool whip

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix ingredients, place in freezer so not so sticky
Roll into 1” balls, roll in powdered sugar
Bake on greased cookie sheet 13 minutes

Coconut Macaroons
1 pint pineapple or orange sherbet, softened 2 t almond extract
1 package white cake mix 6 cups flaked coconut

Mix first three ingredients
Add coconut and drop by spoonfuls 2” apart, cook for 15-20 minutes-350 or until done

Just made a batch of German chocolate ones with Heath bar chips. I did add a teaspoon of water because the dough seemed so dry. Yummy!

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas!! I had no idea that such combinations existed. I'm determined to try them all(!?!?!?!), especially the spice mix with pumpkin. Yum, Yum, and Yum again -- my waistline will never be the same!!! Thanks, again!!!

Again, all these suggestions sound so good and, believe me, I'm bound and determined to try them all!!

Letscook: I love the idea of spice and pumpkin cookies. What size can of pumpkin -- the small one, I presume? No eggs? No oil or butter? This is just tooooooo easy to be true!!!!!

Pdswife: I bake the cookies at 350ºF for 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Is this okay or should I bake at a higher temp.?

Thanks, again, everyone!!!

Shelly, I ended up cooking them for 12 minutes at 350. Hubby said they were a little over done for his tastes.

the pumkin size is the small one i believe 15 oz. remenber not the pumkin pie filling
It was hard for me to belive the first i made them. they are very moist . I made them with rasins and i did frost them once with a maple frosting. it was ok but liked them plain. grandkids inhale them. even the picky eater.

Thanks, Pdswife, for the information. I'll keep a close eye on the cookies and be sure to check them before 12 minutes.

Okay, Letscook, you're on. I'm trying the pumpkin spice cookies this weekend. I wonder who comes up with these recipes?? I'll let you know how the cookies turn out! Thanks!!

i made some today from spice cake mix and put date nuggets (small bit of dates with bit of sugar on them. the figs baked up crisp somewhat like pecans do in cookies, intensive taste. try these for thanksgiving, i am going to make some for then

they have Betty Crocker and Pillsbury cake mixes on sale for $1 each! I'm storing up for the holidays!!

Hi, auntieshelly-
the mixes were on sale here for 59 cents, so I went kinda nuts and now have about 8 boxes of cake mix on the shelf in the basement.

I will have to revisit this thread when I get a baking jones.

Hi Mudbug ~ I can't believe you bought cake mixes for only 59 cents each!! What a deal!! The lowest I've ever seen them here is 89 cents. The mixes will really come in handy during the upcoming holidays -- you'll be the "cookie queen" !!!!

Question for Babetoo ~ I also made the pumpkin spice cookies, but mine didn't spread like other cake mix cookies. They tasted great and everyone liked them, but they stayed in mounds and were soft and cakelike. How did yours turn out? (I followed the recipe on this site and used a small can of pumpkin and the spice cake mix with additons of pecans, and golden raisins -- no eggs or oil in this recipe.)

I've been using a cake mix recipe for a "fruitcake" cookie for the past couple of years.

Very good-even folks that don't care for fruitcake like these. These use butter flavored crisco for the fat.

Very fragile, delicate, but delicious cookie!!

need feed back on an idea. i would like to make egg nog cookies, using a cake mix. would it work if i just subbed the eggs with the egg nog? might have to watch the amount, so would add nog a bit at a time, til cookie dough forms. help help

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom