"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 10-15-2008, 10:14 AM   #1
Senior Cook

Cake Mix Cookies!

Hello Everyone ~
I've always made cookies from scratch, but when I read several posts here about making cookies from cake mix, I decided to try it. Well, I was pleasantly surprised -- the cookies turned out great. I used a yellow cake mix, 1/2 cup oil, and 2 eggs. I added chocolate chips and walnuts. They were delicious -- a little crispy on the outside and cake-like in the center -- and soooooo much easier to make than scratch cookies! Two questions for you cookie experts: I stored the cookies in a plastic container and noticed that they are crispy this morning. I don't mind crispy, but is this typical of these cookies or should they be stored differently? Also, has anyone ever tried using melted butter instead of oil? I'm off to the grocery store now -- they have Betty Crocker and Pillsbury cake mixes on sale for $1 each! I'm storing up for the holidays!!

Old 10-15-2008, 11:58 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

there are a lot of people here that make cake mix cookies. some have gotten very inventive. don't know why they would get crispy though. butter would work i think, richer taste probably and maybe spread a little more.

there is a thread called "cake mix cookies" do a search and you will find many very unique variations.

Old 10-16-2008, 01:15 AM   #3
Senior Cook

Thanks, Babe, for the information. I bought several flavors of cake mix today and will probably use the spice cake mix next for cookies. I think I will add pecans and golden raisins and instead of 1/2 cup oil, I will use 1/4 cup oil and 1/4 cup melted butter. I'll let you know how they turn out. Thanks, again, for the help.
Old 10-16-2008, 08:11 AM   #4
Head Chef

auntieshelly,
love cake mix cookies, here is another easy one for your spice cake mix i posted awhile back , 2 ingredients only--- spice cake mix and a can of pumpkin (not pie pure pumkin) good with rasins added also

bake 350 8-10 min
Old 10-16-2008, 03:15 PM   #5
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
?? How long did you cook them for
and at what temp?

Thanks!!
Old 10-16-2008, 03:51 PM   #6
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

Location: I live in the Heartland of the United States - Western Kentucky
I usually bake my cake mix cookies at 350 degrees. Most of the time I bake them for about 13 to 15 minutes, depending on how large the cookies are. I typically get about 3 to 4 dozen out of each batch.

When it comes to combinations, the possibilities are endless. Last week I used strawberry cake mix and added vanilla chips and chopped nuts.

I'm thinking about making some pina colada ones by using white cake mix (or coconut cake mix), shredded coconut and pineapple and some rum or rum flavoring.

You can get loads of ideas by going to the "bits" shelf of the baking section of your grocery store. It's amazing what you can add to cookies.
Old 10-16-2008, 05:24 PM   #7
Executive Chef

Send a message via Yahoo to Michelemarie
Here are two I make:

Lemon Cookies
1 lemon cake mix 1 egg 4 oz cool whip

Preheat oven to 375 degrees
Mix ingredients, place in freezer so not so sticky
Roll into 1 balls, roll in powdered sugar
Bake on greased cookie sheet 13 minutes

Coconut Macaroons
1 pint pineapple or orange sherbet, softened 2 t almond extract
1 package white cake mix 6 cups flaked coconut

Mix first three ingredients
Add coconut and drop by spoonfuls 2 apart, cook for 15-20 minutes-350 or until done
Old 10-16-2008, 11:48 PM   #8
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via AIM to pdswife Send a message via MSN to pdswife Send a message via Yahoo to pdswife
Just made a batch of German chocolate ones with Heath bar chips. I did add a teaspoon of water because the dough seemed so dry. Yummy!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:09 AM   #9
Senior Cook

Thanks, everyone, for the great ideas!! I had no idea that such combinations existed. I'm determined to try them all(!?!?!?!), especially the spice mix with pumpkin. Yum, Yum, and Yum again -- my waistline will never be the same!!! Thanks, again!!!
Old 10-17-2008, 01:03 PM   #10
Senior Cook

Again, all these suggestions sound so good and, believe me, I'm bound and determined to try them all!!

Letscook: I love the idea of spice and pumpkin cookies. What size can of pumpkin -- the small one, I presume? No eggs? No oil or butter? This is just tooooooo easy to be true!!!!!

Pdswife: I bake the cookies at 350F for 12-15 minutes or until light brown. Is this okay or should I bake at a higher temp.?

Thanks, again, everyone!!!

Tags
None