Chocolate Chip Cookie

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
My friend Flora's dad owned a bakery. This is her chocolate chip recipe.

Flora's Chocolate Chip Cookies

1-1/2 c shortening (Crisco)
1-1/4 c granulated sugar
3/4 c brown sugar
3 eggs
1 - 2 tsp vanilla extract
1 tsp butter flavoring
2 tsp baking soda dissolved in 2 T water
3 c plus 3 T AP flour
1 package chips

Directions:

1. Using an electric mixer, cream together the shortening and sugar until very fluffy.
2. Add the eggs (I whisk them before I add them).
3. Add vanilla extract, butter flavoring, and dissolved soda. Blend briefly.
4. Blend in flour and and chips.
5. Bake at 375 for 8 minutes on a lightly greased cookie sheet.
6. Remove from oven and leave cookies on the cook sheet for 2 minutes.
7. Remove and allow to cool on paper toweling.

Note: To make oatmeal-raisin cookies that are soft, follow the above but add 1 tsp cinnamon, 1/2 tsp nutmeg, 1/4 tsp ground cloves, and 1/4 tsp ground allspice to the flour. Use 3 c oatmeal instead of chips and 1/2 - 3/4 c raisins. Bake following the directions. You must let them cool on the cookie sheet for 2 minutes before transferring to the paper towels. These are soft cookies. I've made this recipe many times and it always works. Thanks Flora!
Over the years, I have modified this recipe. I use 1 stick softened butter, the rest Criso. I omit the butter extract. I made a batch on Saturday. Today my Dad told me that they were the best he's had in years. He usually has the homemaker who comes for 3 hours on Friday mornings make him cookies from a store mix. I keep telling him that I can make better ones from scratch. He will have forgotten by Friday he thought these were the best he's ever had...

Thanks CWS - copied and saved!

I not a big cookie baker - sorta stopped when the kids moved on but recently my sweet tooth has re-energized itself. :rolleyes:

Thanks CWS - copied and saved!

I not a big cookie baker - sorta stopped when the kids moved on but recently my sweet tooth has re-energized itself. :rolleyes:

Don't know if this will be of interest but, when I get a cookie craving and don't want to tempt myself with too many, I go to Christina Lane's dessert for two cookie page..

https://www.dessertfortwo.com/?s=cookies

Ross

Last edited:
Thanks Just Cooking. Hadn't been to that site before (I don't think).

i once found some recipes for just 2 cookies. I didn't like the fact you only used one part of the egg, necessitating finding a rcipe for the other half. Then the cookies baked up so huge! LOL they almost overflowed the sheet in the toaster oven! That particular recipe was for Choc Chip and all the chips were in the middle of the cookie - making an almost solid centre of choc and the cookie around the outside. Very weird.

At the moment my favourite cookie is on the bag of Salted Caramel Chips. I make those up, roll them into a couple of logs, wrap and freeze. Slice off whatever I crave - more often than not, the oven doesn't even get turned on. ;)

Thanks Just Cooking. Hadn't been to that site before (I don't think).

i once found some recipes for just 2 cookies. I didn't like the fact you only used one part of the egg, necessitating finding a rcipe for the other half. Then the cookies baked up so huge! LOL they almost overflowed the sheet in the toaster oven! That particular recipe was for Choc Chip and all the chips were in the middle of the cookie - making an almost solid centre of choc and the cookie around the outside. Very weird.

At the moment my favourite cookie is on the bag of Salted Caramel Chips. I make those up, roll them into a couple of logs, wrap and freeze. Slice off whatever I crave - more often than not, the oven doesn't even get turned on. ;)
Christina has a section devoted to one part of the egg as many of her recipes uses one or the other.. I save yolks or whites, in the freezer, for just that reason..
Her cookies are often larger.. I just use a smaller portion than suggested.. A couple more cookies but, the size I like.. :)

This lady is a jewel for small batch sweets.. :yum:

Ross

Cookie recipes are one thing I don't scale. I will often freeze the dough (already formed in balls and ready to go). My Dad will eat all the cookies in a week...Mom might have 2 or 3. I don't eat sweets.

Back
Top Bottom