Chocolate Chip (Traditional)

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Alix

Everymom
Moderator Emeritus
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup nuts/coconut OR 1/4 extra flour

You know the drill, cream the butter/sugar, add wet, then dry. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

Alix. maybe you can shed some light on a long running mystery.

Why is it that none of the cookie dough ever makes it into the oven?

Grandma B's Vanilla Chocolate Chip cookies

1 cup unsalted butter room temperature
3/4 cup granulated white sugar
3/4 cup firmly packed light brown sugar
2 large eggs
2 teaspoons pure vanilla extract (Gramma used 1/4 cup 100% proof bourbon or 4 Tbsp vanilla)
1 or 2 Tbsp whole milk
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
1 cup toasted walnuts or sugard walnuts
With your hand or stand up electric mixer cream the butter. Add the white and brown sugars and beat until fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time, making sure to beat well after each addition. Add the vanilla and beat until incorporated.
In a separate bowl, combine flour, baking soda, and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the egg mixture and beat until incorporated, adding the chocolate chips about half way through mixing. Chill for 30 min.
*For large cookies, use about an ice cream scoop. With two spoons, drop about 2 tablespoons of dough onto the prepared baking sheets. Bake about 12 - 14 minutes at 350, or until golden brown around the edges. Cool completely on wire rack.

Buck said:
Alix. maybe you can shed some light on a long running mystery.

Cuz Katie lets her husband in the kitchen when she bakes! ;)

I some simple questions. I was making cc cookies last night with a very similar recipe to the ones above. The two above differ in terms of cornstarch vs. milk. Why the differences. Also, a really dumb question. The bottoms started to brown before the upper parts were completely done. Does that mean my oven was too hot? I had it set at 370 not the 350 specified above. Thanks, m

Buck said:
I must own up...I have been known to fill up on cookie dough and not have room for a cookie fresh from the oven:rolleyes::LOL: but my sister who is usually in on the cookie making process tends to get very annoyed when i do this. I have taken to getting the dough out secretly:LOL:

mnsills said:
I some simple questions. I was making cc cookies last night with a very similar recipe to the ones above. The two above differ in terms of cornstarch vs. milk. Why the differences. Also, a really dumb question. The bottoms started to brown before the upper parts were completely done. Does that mean my oven was too hot? I had it set at 370 not the 350 specified above. Thanks, m

Yes your oven was too hot. It doesn't take much to start the bottoms browning. You might want to check that your oven is actually at the temperature you think it is. Sometimes they run hotter. Your pan might be part of the problem too, or where you put the pan in the oven.

I'm not sure about your other question. What do you mean cornstarch vs milk? Can you be more specific for me? Also, posting the recipe might help. Thanks!

If everything is okay with your pan and your oven, you may have to switch to stick margarine or butter flavor Crisco because butter cooks too quickly in your climate. (never use whipped margarine because it contains water.) Alix's recipe might also work better for you because it does not contain the white sugar which can burn the bottoms of cookies.

Take the cookies out when they are lightly browned around the edges. They have to set for 5-10 minutes before you remove them from the baking sheet. During this time, they are hot and will continue to cook for a few minutes longer.

If you want to use a flat cookie sheet that does not have the edge, just turn a metal baking pan like a 9x13 upside down and bake your cookies on the bottom. I'm not the greatest at making cookies but I do have to make my fair share for the school activities. Decent but not glamorous!

I heard putting parchment paper down before you put the cookies on the sheet stops them from browning too fast. Does that actually work? I have yet to try it.

It might Cherry, but really the oven temp is the key to this, as well as the colour of the pan. At least in my experience that is what makes the biggest difference. The parchment paper just makes it easier to take the cookies off the sheets.

I found a bag of chocolate chips in the pantry a few nights ago. Well, you got me in the mood to make cookies. It will be 1/4 extra flour since I did not find any nuts. Now that I'm in the cookie mood, there will be an assortment. Did I hear anyone say Snicker-doodle? :-p

Alix said:
1 cup butter
1 1/2 cups brown sugar
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
2 cups flour
1/4 cup cornstarch
1 tsp baking soda
2 cups chocolate chips
1 cup nuts/coconut OR 1/4 extra flour

You know the drill, cream the butter/sugar, add wet, then dry. Bake at 350 for 10-15 minutes.

I made this recipe tonight and they are the best cookies that I have ever baked. The cookie dough is much easier to work with and the chocolate chips incorporated evenly throughout the dough.

Good Cookies in the Spring Time! Priceless!!! :)

StirBlue said:
I made this recipe tonight and they are the best cookies that I have ever baked. The cookie dough is much easier to work with and the chocolate chips incorporated evenly throughout the dough.

Good Cookies in the Spring Time! Priceless!!! :)
well now you got me wishing that i had picked up that bag of choco chips that i saw at shoppers tonight!:chef:

The cookie dough is the type that you can use for Rocky Road or Monster Cookies...the possibilities are endless. I will make Chocolate Chips most often. :)

mnsills said:
I just made some cc cookies from Alton Brown's "I'm Just Here for More Food" book. I'm not quite the baker yet but I wanted to experiment a little bit.

The ingredients are basic.

Dry:
2 1/4 cups AP flour
1 tsp Baking Soda
1 tsp Salt (I used kosher)

Wet:
3/4 cups Sugar (I used natural cane sugar)
3/4 cups Brown Sugar
1 cup unsalted butter (I actually used 1/2 salted butter and 1/2 cup unflavored crisco)
2 egg yolks (fresh from my friend's organic farm!!!)
1 teaspoon vanilla extract.

Extras:
2 cups Semi Sweet Morsels

As mentioned before Cream wet ingredients, add the dry.....

yeilds 3 dozen 1 oz cookies

I like a good contrast between sweet and salty so that's why I didn't omit the salt when using salted butter which would be the standard MO.

I also used what's known as Oven Spring. I started the oven at 400 degrees for the first few minutes and brought it down to 375 for the rest of the cooking time about 15 minutes all together.

Here is where the experimentation came in (kind of inadvertantly). I used a pretty thick heavy duty cookie sheet, and thinner cheaper cookie sheet, and then for the third dozen I forgot to bring the temp down from 400 degrees.

The bottoms of the cookies made on the the thin sheet where very dark brown...burnt but edible. The cookies baked at 400 degrees for 15 minutes...forget about it...unedible. The ones baked on the heavy duty cookie sheet came out perfect. Not over cooked on the bottom at all, and they were on the bottom rack!!! They are really good!!! Think Chips Ahoy in terms of texture as opposed to Softbatch, but way better than any store bought CC Cookie

It seems to me that the using a high quality denser cookie sheet will keep those bottoms from burning. I'll be heading out to my local restaurant supplier to pick up some "half sheets". They are the size of most "civilian" models where as the full sheets in the restaurant industry are pretty large, like a hotel pan. They are made out of aluminum and are really heavy duty, and don't warp in the oven like some of the cheap models.

Last edited:
CherryRed said:
I heard putting parchment paper down before you put the cookies on the sheet stops them from browning too fast. Does that actually work? I have yet to try it.
Hi Cherry, Sorry, I just found this thread so maybe this is too late. I always had this problem until I bought a Silpat and now my cookies are perfectly browned. Silpat is a flexible silicone coated baking mat made in France and available in several sizes. You lay it on your cookie sheet. It is like permanent parchment paper. A mat is good for about 3000 uses and you can buy them at a restaurant supply, Amazon, ebay, or any kitchen type store. There are other brands which I assume are as good. You can get a half-sheet size Silpat for about $15 if you look around and I think they are worth every penny. Nothing sticks to these mats and all of your baked goods will bake and brown more evenly. I keep mine rolled up in a cardboard paper towel tube. HTH
Terry

Is there anything you can use instead of corn starch or leave it out at all? Haven't seen that at the shops don't think, might have a more indepth look when i go next. thx :)

Back
Top Bottom