"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 09-13-2004, 11:34 AM   #11
Senior Cook

Marmalady, thank you for sharing the great recipes and tips!
I LOVE the paper towel holder idea!!! I have ended up with flat-edged supposedly round cookies many-a-time!
Have copied everything & hope to make this a Cookie Christmas to remember!!!

Thanks again!

Old 09-13-2004, 12:27 PM   #12
Executive Chef

You are most welcome, WW! I think my next 'batch' here will be bar cookies - another easy 'no-brainer'!

Old 09-13-2004, 01:10 PM   #13
Master Chef

Send a message via MSN to crewsk
Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
Crews - How many does your recipe make? Hve you ever doubled it?
I have no idea how many it makes, sorry. But I have doubled it. This gives me a good excuse to make them this week so I'll know how many it makes. For some reason, I've never really thought about it.
Old 09-13-2004, 06:29 PM   #14
Senior Cook

here's a little tip to test the freshness of baking soda or baking powder...

Add 1 teaspoon to 1/3 cup hot water; the soda or powder should fizz and bubble furiously. If not, it's time for some new stuff!

also came across this on the web, (don't know why I never thought of it?)
but think not all kinds of drop cookies would do well with this approach - still, think I might try one.
"Her suggestion for freezing cookie dough is to drop it onto a baking sheet and freeze until solid. Then transfer the dough drops to freezer-proof wrapping (whatever that is...I never use it, just put everything in Tupperware). Place frozen dough on cookie sheet, cover w/wax paper and thaw."
Old 09-14-2004, 07:52 AM   #15
Executive Chef

WW - I'd never thought of freezing the drop cookies like that, but I do use that method for other things, and it works just fine.

I think the only thing you'd have to be careful of is to keep that bag in the freezer and only pull out enough to fill the sheets for one oven batch; if they start thawing in the bag, you'll have a real mess!
Old 09-15-2004, 02:08 AM   #16
Senior Cook

here's another one for the freezer - not very "Christmasy" but good!
(from Make a Mix)

Slice & Bake Peanut Butter Cookies

2 cups vegetable shortening
2 cups granulated sugar
2 cups brown sugar, packed
2 cups creamy or chunky-style peanut butter
4 eggs
2 tsp. vanilla extract
5 cups all-purpose flour
4 tsp baking soda

Cut four 14"x12" pieces of waxed paper or plastic wrap and set aside. In a large bowl, cream shortening, granulated sugar, brown sugar and peanut butter. Beat in eggs and vanilla until light an fluffy. In a large bowl, combine flour and baking soda. Gradually stir flour mixture into egg mixture until blended.
Divide the dough int 4 pieces. Shape each piece into an 8 to 10 inch roll. Wrap each roll in 1 piece of the waxed paper or plastic wrap. Place in a plastic freezer container with a tight-fitting lid, or wrap airtight in a 14'x12" piece of heavy duty foil (or use a freezer bag like I did). Label with date and contents. Store in freezer. Use within 6 months. Makes 4 rolls of dough or about 12 dozen cookies. (each roll will make 3 dozen cookies)

To make cookies:
1 roll of frozen cookie dough above slighlty thawed

Preheat oven to 375º (190ºC). Lightly grease 2 large baking sheets; set aside. Cut dough into 1" slices. Cut each slice into fourths. Roll each piece into a ball. Place balls on ungreased baking sheet about 1-1/2" apart. Use fork tines to flatten cookies in a criss-cross design. Bake 8 to 10 minutes until light browned around edges. Remove cookies from baking sheet and cool on racks.
Old 09-15-2004, 04:07 AM   #17
Executive Chef

TY! I've been looking for a 'slice and bake' for PB cookies! I'm thinking to 'gussie' them up, drizzle some chocolate over them after baking.
Old 09-20-2004, 12:23 PM   #18
Senior Cook

cute for kids for Christmas

Rudolph the Red-nosed Cookie
Old 09-20-2004, 08:12 PM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmalady
TY! I've been looking for a 'slice and bake' for PB cookies! I'm thinking to 'gussie' them up, drizzle some chocolate over them after baking.
Well, I don't really bake much for the Holidays, other than the occasional batch of peanut brittle or fudge.

However, I was going to make a suggestion for display or presentation of the tray of assorted cookies, but it looks like marmalady beat me to the punch. You can dip cookies into chocolate, and lay them out onto a sheet pan lined with wax paper. I would only dip half the cookie into the melted chocolate, leaving the other half bare, so guests can identify them. Use both White, Milk, and Dark chocolates for this, on cookies where the color helps with the contrast, and maybe even the flavor (Chocolate Macadamia cookies dipped into White chocolate, Peanut butter cookies dipped into Dark Chocolate, etc.). You can also drizzle cookies with chocolate, like marmalady mentioned. Also, if you can get some dry powder food coloring, you can color molten white chocolate, and do Red, White, and Green colors in chocolate with the cookies.
Old 09-20-2004, 09:02 PM   #20
Assistant Cook

Here's one of my favorites.

One bowl brownie cookies

Preheat oven to 325 degrees

6 squares semisweet chocolate
4 squares unsweetened baking chocolate
6 Tbsp butter
1 1/4 c sugar
2 tsp vanilla
3 eggs
1 c flour
1/4 tsp salt
1 tsp baking powder
2 c toasted chopped walnuts

Microwave chocolate & butter in a large bowl on high for 1 1/2 to 2 min., until chocolate is almost melted, stirring halfway through. Stir until chocolate is melted and smooth. Stir in sugar until blended. Mix in vanilla and eggs. Stir in flour, baking powder and salt. Fold in nuts. Dough will be soft. Drop by rounded tablespoons, 1 1/2 inches apart , onto ungreased cookie sheet. Bake 12 minutes, or until set. DO NOT OVERBAKE!! Cool completely on wire rack. Store in airtight container.

Tags
None