"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 11-12-2007, 03:08 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Cookie problem - too flaky?

I've made this chocolate chip cookie recipe many times and they turn out well. There is instant pudding in the recipe. Last night after making the dough I realized I didn't have any pudding so I left it out. They turned out flaky - difficult to stay together and not moist. Can anyone explain why? What does the pudding do anyway? I refrigerated the dough until I buy more pudding. Hopefully, they will come out better tonight. What could I have substituted for pudding? Thanks!

Old 11-12-2007, 03:25 PM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
What's the exact recipe you use? I make chocolate chip cookies all the time, but I haven't experienced this flaky quality you seem to have stumbled upon. If you post the recipe, I'm sure someone will be able to help.

Also, welcome to DC! :)

Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #3
Certified Pretend Chef

Your particular recipe depends on the pudding to make it work right.

There are other recipes that also make good cookies and don;t depend on pudding but other ingredient combinations instead.

You can get good cookies either way.
Old 11-12-2007, 04:34 PM   #4
Assistant Cook

I hadn't had this problem either till the omission of the pudding. That's why I was wondering what it did for the recipe. Here it is:
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cups butter, softened
  • 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.
I thought I'd finally found the perfect recipe till this!
Old 11-12-2007, 06:01 PM   #5
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to CherryRed
My recipe is relatively similar. The only differences are no pudding mix, a teaspoon of salt, 3/4 cups white sugar instead of 1/4, and 2 cups chocolate chips. I've made this recipe with pudding mix as well, substituting that for the vanilla extract and the granulated sugar. My cookies come out fine both ways. I'm not sure why your cookies came out too flaky without the pudding mix. . . sorry! Maybe someone else can help?
Old 11-12-2007, 07:05 PM   #6
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2nzigo View Post
I hadn't had this problem either till the omission of the pudding. That's why I was wondering what it did for the recipe. Here it is:
  • 2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
  • 1 teaspoons baking soda
  • 1 cups butter, softened
  • 3/4 cups packed brown sugar
  • 1/4 cup white sugar
  • 1 (3.4 ounce) packages instant vanilla pudding mix
  • 2 eggs
  • 1 teaspoons vanilla extract
  • 1 1/2 cups semisweet chocolate chips
  1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F (175 degrees C). Sift together the flour and baking soda, set aside.
  2. In a large bowl, cream together the butter, brown sugar, and white sugar. Beat in the instant pudding mix until blended. Stir in the eggs and vanilla. Blend in the flour mixture. Finally, stir in the chocolate chips and nuts. Drop cookies by rounded spoonfuls onto ungreased cookie sheets.
  3. Bake for 10 to 12 minutes in the preheated oven. Edges should be golden brown.
I thought I'd finally found the perfect recipe till this!
Why do you think it's not the perfect recipe. You said it turned out well every time you make it. You can't fault the recipe for not working if you leave out a key ingredient.

The pudding seems to act as a moisturizing and binding agent.

Tags
None