"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Cookies

Old 03-16-2010, 08:42 AM   #11
Head Chef

I use the butter crisco recipe all the time. I find it better then the toll house one.

Old 03-16-2010, 02:14 PM   #12
Master Chef

I've had this argument with my wife about soda in baking for ever, finally she started listen to me. To promote the reaction of baking soda the recipe needs an (I think it is called) levaning agent, i.e something sour. I recomend vinegar in this case. Otherwise soda doesn't do what it is supposed to do. It just seats there inside the dough and makes it taste bitter. I finally convinced her to try and now her CCC are the best ever.

Old 03-16-2010, 05:23 PM   #13
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Vinegar eh? .. how much? What else could be used to activate the baking soda?
Old 03-16-2010, 05:38 PM   #14
Master Chef

Anything sour would probably work, like yougurt for example, depending on proportion.

Vinegar, I would put your baking soda in a serving spoon and start pooring vinegar very slowly, as soon as reaction stps you've added enough vinegar, I would even mix it a little bit. For 3/4 tsp of soda I think you'd need a full Table sspoon if vinegar, aproxcimately.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:41 PM   #15
Certified Pretend Chef

Josh, the brown sugar in your original recipe contains molasses. That provides the acidic environment needed to activate the baking soda. No need to doctor the recipe.
Old 03-16-2010, 05:46 PM   #16
Senior Cook

Send a message via ICQ to Joshatdot Send a message via AIM to Joshatdot Send a message via MSN to Joshatdot Send a message via Yahoo to Joshatdot Send a message via Skype™ to Joshatdot
Thanks CharlieD, I'll experiment on my next batch, 3/4tsp BS + 1tbsp vinegar.

Andy M, I am trying to puff up my cookies..I am not going to use the Crisco version, I'll try 1/2 of the neman-marcus recipe, alone..then maybe try the vinegar on the other half...or maybe 1/4 the whole thing...hehe
Old 03-16-2010, 08:26 PM   #17
Master Chef

Andy, I challenge you to try adding vinegar, molasses in brown sugar alone is just not enough. If you are using baking powder it is a different story, but to promote reaction in baking soda you really need to push it harder. It took me 5 years to talk my wife into doing this, now she wouldn't even start the batch if she doesn't have vinegar. And she makes pretty darn good cookies. Even I like them.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:07 PM   #18
Certified Pretend Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieD View Post
Andy, I challenge you to try adding vinegar, molasses in brown sugar alone is just not enough. If you are using baking powder it is a different story, but to promote reaction in baking soda you really need to push it harder. It took me 5 years to talk my wife into doing this, now she wouldn't even start the batch if she doesn't have vinegar. And she makes pretty darn good cookies. Even I like them.
Thanks Charlie but it was Josh who was not satisfied with the height of his cookies, not me. My recipe i in an earlier post in this thread and it works great for me.
Old 03-16-2010, 09:11 PM   #19
Senior Cook

I wasn't satisfied with the Crisco CCCs, thought it could have been my fault, 2x the CCs & I added raisins. I kinda started this to see if anyone else tried Criscos', and if they liked it or not.
Old 03-17-2010, 11:13 AM   #20
Master Chef

Hey, there is always room for improovement.

Tags
None