Easy Rugalach - T&T

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
For those who prefer to use cream cheese, I gather one major annoyance with Rugelach is working with the sticky dough that results. I came across this tip during a web search; when I get around to trying my novice hands at making Rugelach, I think I'll get ahold of a pack of gallon-size Ziploc bags, and try it this way:
'Here is the world's best trick for handling rugelach dough, from Gloria Kaufer Greene's "New Jewish Holiday Cookbook":​

After mixing the dough, separate it into 3-4 sections, and put each in a plastic Ziploc bag. Roll the dough into a circle while it's in the bag. (I divided a batch into four portions, and rolled each into a 9-inch circle.)​

Then, put the rolled-out, bagged dough into the refrigerator and chill for an hour or more.​

Remove dough from fridge, and, using scissors, cut the bag open on all four sides and peel the plastic away from the dough disc. Voila! You have avoided struggling with messy, sticky dough, and have perfect circles ready to fill.​

Now, sprinkle the filling over each circle; slice into 8-12 sections using pizza cutter; roll up each section the same way that you would roll a crescent roll, from the outer edge in.​

I've found this technique makes rugelach-making sooooo much easier, no matter which recipe you're using.' [ Copied from community.cookinglight.com, Bold Italics mine]​
Comments, all you pastry experts?

Thank you robgrave. Great tips!:)

Thank you robgrave. Great tips!:)
Well, I'm only passing on the experience of others, mind you. Just how well it works out remains to be seen. When it comes to pastry, I am (I repeat) a novice.

Come to that, just wondering how well Rugelach dough takes to freezing. I'd like to make a full recipe, but bake just a dozen or so cookies, and save the rest of the dough for later. I guess this works with some doughs, but with the cream cheese in the Rugelach dough, would there be any problem with freezing?

I'm thinking that done that way, the dough would stick to the bag. You could, however, try spraying the inside of the bag with baking Pam.

I don't make crescent Rugulach, tho. I roll out a rectangle and make a long strip, the way my friends at Chewy's do it. I think it's more efficient, and I get neat little chunks that are easy to pack in gift boxes. :)

I'm thinking that done that way, the dough would stick to the bag. You could, however, try spraying the inside of the bag with baking Pam.
That might be the better way. But the "tip" I referred to comes with a confirmation from another poster (using Lora Brody's recipe). The whole thread can be found at the community.cookinglight site under Lora Brody's rugelach dough ((I'm not qualified yet to post hyper-links, sorry).

Someone else in the thread mentions, BTW, that the dough freezes well, so I think my question's been answered.

EDIT: ChefJune, I may have misunderstood you. You were talking about spraying the inside of the bag for freezing the dough, perhaps?

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom