ISO : Buttered Pecan Cookies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

AllenOK

Executive Chef
We get these things at work. I could buy the cookie dough from my boss, but I'd rather make them myself at home. Does anyone have a recipe? I tried searching my favorite sites, and came up empty.

Brown Sugar Pecan Cookies

3 1/2 c sifted flour
2 1/2 tea baking powder
1/2 tea salt
2/3 c shortening
2 c packed brown sugar
2 eggs
1 1/2 tea vanilla
4 tea milk
1 c finely chopped pecans, toasted for 10 minutes

Sift flour, baking powder, and . Beat sugar, eggs, vanilla, shortening, salt until very fluffy. Add flour and pecans. Shape into 2 or more logs on plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours. Slice 1/4 inch thick and bake at 325 Convection bake for 9-11 minutes until lightly browned.
Bake in regular oven at 350 for 9-11 minutes or until done.
Freeze rolls of dough so you can have fresh cookies anytime. It is better to bake these in small batches because fresh is always better.
I haven't found anyone who doesn't like these

And one more -

PECAN SANDIES
These are melt-in-your mouth – you’ll never buy store-bought sandies again! This recipe is very easily doubled.

Makes about 5 dz.

2 sticks unsalted butter
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1 tsp vanilla
3 oz. ( 2/3 cup) pecans, finely ground
1 2/3 cups AP flour
Pinch of salt

Beat butter and sugar on med. Speed til light and creamy, about 3 minutes. Beat in vanilla. Mix the pecans with the flour and salt, and add to the butter mixture. Beat on low til just mixed, then on medium for about 1 minute – do not overbeat!

Refrigerate the dough for about an hour, til it’s able to he handled. Divide the dough in half and on a piece of parchment, roll into a log about 1 ½ inches in diameter. Wrap the parchment paper completely around the roll, and either refrigerate for 2 hours or freeze.

To bake, preheat oven to 350 and line cookie sheets with parchment. Unwrap, and slice the cookies ¼ inch thick. Place on baking sheets 1 inch apart. It’s important to keep this dough cold while you’re working with it. Return any unused portion to the fridge until you need to slice some more. Bake 15-20 minutes, til just light brown. Cool on racks.

Variations: After you make the rolls, place some Demarara sugar or white baking sugar on a piece of parchment, and coat the rolls with it. Then wrap the rolls in parchment as above. Or, after the cookies are done, sift some powdered sugar on top.

The cookies at work taste like a cookie, but also like Buttered Pecan ice cream. If any of y'all are from down South, you know what that flavor's like.

I may just have to go into R & D mode and, as Alix said, "hatchet out" a recipe. I think I have some Buttered Pecan extract downstairs, although if I do, it's old-old-old, and probably doesn't taste good.

Just a thought, could you buy them once so you could get the ingredient list to use as a starting point. You would also be able to bake a few when you bake you "experiments" to directly compare.

I could probably just walk into the deep freezer at work, pick up a box, and write down the ingredients. That is an idea, thanks!

Thanks for informing me. It is quite cool here also. DH went out to grill some salmon and came back in to get a jacket. I can't believe it is that cool.

Well, I went looking for the ingredients at work. Wouldn't you know it, the last batch my boss cooked were the last cookies! No ingredient list :mad:

Just on an off chance, I went to my little ice cream freezer and pulled up the tub of Buttered Pecan, and then read the ingredients from that. What the??? The second ingredient listed was "Sweet Cream Buttermilk". I tasted a little, thinking about the buttermilk, and thought that I could make that out. Hmmm....maybe now I know? Anyone tried making cookies with buttermilk in the mix?

AllenMI said:
Well, I went looking for the ingredients at work. Wouldn't you know it, the last batch my boss cooked were the last cookies! No ingredient list :mad:

Just on an off chance, I went to my little ice cream freezer and pulled up the tub of Buttered Pecan, and then read the ingredients from that. What the??? The second ingredient listed was "Sweet Cream Buttermilk". I tasted a little, thinking about the buttermilk, and thought that I could make that out. Hmmm....maybe now I know? Anyone tried making cookies with buttermilk in the mix?

I've seen cookie recipes calling for Bisquick and they describe that as buttermilk baking mix.

Allen, there are cookies w/buttermilk in them, but usually they're the soft, 'drop' cookie - not a pecan shortbread type cookie. If it's the softer one you're looking for, I have a recipe somewhere, lemme know and I'll dig it up for ya!

purrfectlydevine said:
I've seen cookie recipes calling for Bisquick and they describe that as buttermilk baking mix.

I was thinking about looking on my box of Biscuick for cookie recipes, or possibly substituting some for some of the flour. I'd have to alter a basic cookie recipe, though, as Bisquick also has salt, leavening, etc., already in it.

marmalady said:
Allen, there are cookies w/buttermilk in them, but usually they're the soft, 'drop' cookie - not a pecan shortbread type cookie. If it's the softer one you're looking for, I have a recipe somewhere, lemme know and I'll dig it up for ya!

I ran a search last night for some cookie recipes, cross-referenced with buttermilk, and got several hits. None of them were exactly like what I was after, though. I'll gladly take a copy of your recipe!

Back
Top Bottom