"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 11-02-2011, 05:15 PM   #1
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Naked Caramels

Last night I screwed up my courage and made caramels! Hot sugar scares me just a little but I LOVE caramels and am always disappointed by the ones from the store. They came out wonderfully but I am wondering about how to wrap them nicely. The recipe says to wrap in bits of wax paper. This works but looks ugly. Any suggestions for finding a better solution next time? BTW - these are amazing and there is NO corn syrup needed.
Ingredients:
1/2 cup cream
1/4 tsp vanilla

6 tbsp butter, cut into a few pieces

1-1/3 cups light brown sugar
Preparation:

1. Butter a small (6x6 inch) square pan.
2. Combine sugar, cream, butter, vanilla, and 1 TBL water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the butter is melted.
3. Bring to boil and cover for 3 minutes.
4. Uncover, but do not stir! Continue boiling until candy thermometer reads 250 degrees.
5. Pour caramel into the prepared pan. Score and cut when mostly cool.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:27 PM   #2
Everymom

I think Michaels has special candy wrapping things you can buy.

Old 11-02-2011, 05:43 PM   #3
Master Chef

If you google candy wrappers you will find many different 3 X 3 inch wrappers available.
Old 11-06-2011, 10:18 PM   #4
Sous Chef

you could probably use clear plastic wrapping paper if you wanted. For the holidays I also like using regular wrapping paper to wrap candies, but it depends on the consistency of the candies. If they're too moist they'll stick to the paper and you'll just have a mess.
Always try to bring a spare set of clothing when you dream about going to work or school. That way, if you encounter someone having that dream where they show up in their underwear, you'll be their hero.
Sprout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 10:33 AM   #5
Senior Cook

These sound terrific! I will have to give this a try!

betterthanabox.org
betterthanabox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2011, 01:45 PM   #6
Assistant Cook

What do you use for your prepared pan? Never made anything like this and you like to give it ago.

Thank you

Nick
Old 11-07-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick85 View Post
What do you use for your prepared pan? Never made anything like this and you like to give it ago.

Thank you

Nick
Butter. I buttered the pan - liberally

Tags
butter, cream, recipe, sugar

Naked Caramels [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Last night I screwed up my courage and made caramels! Hot sugar scares me just a little but I LOVE caramels and am always disappointed by the ones from the store. They came out wonderfully but I am wondering about how to wrap them nicely. The recipe says to wrap in bits of wax paper. This works but looks ugly. Any suggestions for finding a better solution next time? BTW - these are amazing and there is NO corn syrup needed. [/SIZE][/FONT][INDENT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Ingredients:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]1/2 cup cream[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2] 1/4 tsp vanilla[/SIZE][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2] 6 tbsp butter, cut into a few pieces[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]1-1/3 cups light brown sugar[/SIZE][/FONT][/INDENT][/INDENT][INDENT][B][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]Preparation:[/SIZE][/FONT][/B] [/INDENT][INDENT][INDENT][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][B]1.[/B] Butter a small (6x6 inch) square pan.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][B]2.[/B] Combine sugar, cream, butter, vanilla, and 1 TBL water in a medium heavy-bottomed saucepan. Stir over medium heat until the sugar dissolves and the butter is melted.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][B]3.[/B] Bring to boil and cover for 3 minutes.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][B]4.[/B] Uncover, but [B]do not stir![/B] Continue boiling until candy thermometer reads 250 degrees.[/SIZE][/FONT] [FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2][B]5.[/B] Pour caramel into the prepared pan. Score and cut when mostly cool. [/SIZE][/FONT] [/INDENT][/INDENT] 3 stars 1 reviews