"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates
Click Here to Login

Old 10-15-2017, 06:42 PM   #11
Head Chef

Polypropylene is used in making clothes, namely warm undergarments. But I would assume that would be an entirely different chemical composition.

I wish I could help you, Bikeking, but I've never hear of propylene used as a flavoring for food before. Do you have any links for it in recipes? I'd be interested in reading about it.

------------------------
I cook because my pots and pans are the closest thing to a chemistry experiment that I have. So far I haven't blown up the kitchen!
rodentraiser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM   #12
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodentraiser View Post
Polypropylene is used in making clothes, namely warm undergarments. But I would assume that would be an entirely different chemical composition.

I wish I could help you, Bikeking, but I've never hear of propylene used as a flavoring for food before. Do you have any links for it in recipes? I'd be interested in reading about it.
Propylene glycol is a solvent used to carry color and possibly flavor.

Old 10-16-2017, 08:36 PM   #13
Assistant Cook

I apologize, and thank everyone for the bumps. Since this is apparently a rather new thing, I'll explain a bit more.

I started with white and milk chocolate, looked into how I could flavor it. Extracts "seize" chocolate as they're water or alcohol based. It was suggested to try PG flavorings. So I ordered a bunch from LorAnn oils and GetSuckered, who claim to have super concentrated flavors good for baking and candy making. They definitely smell right but don't taste like much of anything.

Adding them to the melted chocolate, I didn't taste anything, same with the buttercream frosting I made. I'm still hoping to incorporate flavors such as Bordeaux, Apple Pie and so on into my candies and if i find something that works I'll definitely share.
Bikeking8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 02:37 PM   #14
Master Chef

Why not try oil-based flavoring?
Old 10-19-2017, 10:00 AM   #15
Master Chef

Sorry can't help. Tend to use things like sugar, fruits and berries for flavoring. PG is good to moisturise the walls of my humidor.
Old 10-19-2017, 12:34 PM   #16
Certifiable Executive Chef

Site Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by jennyema View Post
Why not try oil-based flavoring?
+1

There's a big selection of candy flavoring (oil based) available and I've used them often. That said, I've found that as with extracts most are somewhat disappointing. The exceptions are citrus flavors and mints.

I've found that aside from the few above sometimes flavors seem to morph when combined with other ingredients and you don't always get what you expect in the finished product.

PG based flavors have been used for a number of years in sodas and other products and there a bunch of them around. If you've ever had flavored syrup in coffee you've surely had some PG flavoring.

Food - Propylene Glycol Sector Group

Food and Flavorings | Dow Propylene Glycols

PG Propylene Glycol Flavors

The big question I have is that PG is water soluble... would it not seize chocolate?

Tags
other