Sponge Candy Question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

MochaBean04

Senior Cook
My aunt had asked me a question about tihs and i have to clue what to tell her so im coming to you guys. Everytime she makes it it turns out rock hard. She checked the bakeing soda and follows the directions step by step. The only thing i can think of not turning out is the elevation or humidity. please help. . .

I think this is what we in Scotland call 'puff candy'....

I'll find my recipe and you can compare. (I haven't made any since my children left school - it was always a favourite at cake sales and Fayres...!)

thank you. that is a diffrent recipe than what i have but ill give it to her and see if she likes it and if it works better for her. this is the first one that uses honey so maybe that will work better. Thank you daisy

Here's the Scottish version!

4 tablespoons granulated sugar
2 tablespoons Tate and Lyle Golden Syrup
1 teaspoon bicarb of soda

Put sugar, syrup in a pan, bring to boil stirring constantly. Boil for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally. Remove from heat, stir in soda quickly until it froths. Pour into well-greased tin and cool. Break up when cool, store in airtight container.

If you want to make it more fancy, dip the cooled pieces in melted chocolate to make a homemade 'Crunchie' bar.:chef:

Last edited:
Ah, but you've gotten such good advice!

Sponge Candy is a bit of a fuss. Here is my recipe and method from my great-grandmother's cookbook (she a Confectioner of some notoriety in the Mother Land. Tried a myriad of times and highly true, but pick a day with humidity below 50% to make it, and the vinegar is an absolute necessity:

Sponge Candy

1 cup Golden Syrup

½ cup granulated sugar

1 teaspoon cider vinegar

1 tablespoon baking soda

Butter a 10-inch square pan and line the bottom and sides with parchment paper; butter the parchment paper and set the pan aside.

Combine the syrup, sugar and vinegar in a large, heavy pan and stir over medium heat until the sugar is completely dissolved and the mixture comes to a boil.

Clip a calibrated candy thermometer to the inside of the pan. Cook, without stirring, until the mixture reaches 300 degrees (F). Immediately remove the pan from the heat.

Sift the baking soda over the top of the hot mixture and very gently, very slowly stir. Be careful because the mixture will foam and rise.

Pour the still foaming syrup immediately into the prepared 10-inch pan. Do not spread the mixture – just let it settle naturally, or you will deflate the bubbles!

Allow the candy to cool completely. Remove from the pan and break into bite-sized pieces. Wrap each piece in waxed paper and store in an airtight container at room temperature for up to 1 week. Alternatively, dip in tempered chocolate

**I have also made a Maple-based version of this by reducing the Golden Syrup to ½ cup and adding ½ cup of Grade B Amber Maple Syrup with the vinegar.

So many differetn ways...when I seen Sponge Candy my mouth watered and I hoped someone would send me some.....mmmm sponge candy......nw I have to try them all

Back
Top Bottom