"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Candies and Chocolates

Old 12-06-2005, 12:56 AM   #31
Senior Cook

Send a message via AIM to MochaBean04
Andy. .do you have the recipe for the truffles you just made? I just want a diffrent truffle recipe to make for the holidays. . im getting sick of making mine .. lol thanks in advance

Sometimes, the solution to all life's problems is a good dessert.

MochaBean04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2005, 09:40 AM   #32
Certified Pretend Chef

Mochabean:

Sorry, we didn't keep the recipe. We were disappointed with the results so made no effort to record the recipe. S.O. wasn't happy with the end result vs. the effort requied to get there. We had used a recipe from a cookbook from the library.

One of the positives that came from the experience (other than getting to eat a lot of truffles) was the discovery of raspberry extract - we used it to make choc. rasp. truffles. They tasted great. S.O. has since used it in a batch of brownies too!!

Old 12-14-2006, 08:27 PM   #33
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alix
I've used this one successfully, but it is kind of a cheat.

Ingredients

3 cups (18 ounces) semi-sweet chocolate chips 1 (14-ounce) can EAGLE BRAND® Sweetened Condensed Milk (NOT evaporated milk) 1 tablespoon vanilla extract Coatings: finely chopped toasted nuts, flaked coconut, chocolate sprinkles, colored sugar, unsweetened cocoa, powdered sugar or colored sprinkles.

Prep Time 10 minutes Chill Time 3 hours

1. In heavy saucepan over low heat, melt chips with EAGLE BRAND®. Remove from heat; stir in vanilla.

2. Chill 2 hours or until firm. Shape into 1-inch balls; roll in desired coating.

3. Chill 1 hour or until firm. Store covered at room temperature.

Microwave Directions In 1-quart glass measure, combine chips and Eagle Brand. Microwave at HIGH (100% power) 3 minutes, stirring after 1-1/2 minutes. Stir until smooth. Proceed as directed above.
Amaretto Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons amaretto liqueur and 1/2 teaspoon almond extract for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds.
Orange Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons orange-flavored liqueur for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted almonds mixed with finely grated orange peel.
Rum Truffles Substitute 1/4 cup dark rum for vanilla. Roll in flaked coconut.
Bourbon Truffles Substitute 3 tablespoons bourbon for vanilla. Roll in finely chopped toasted nuts.
I have a question about these.

Would I be able to use milk chocolate chips instead of semi sweet chocolate chips?
Maybe it's a stupid question...but I'm having a brain fart week. Especially today.

I just figured if someone was going to be so specific about something like that... it's for a reason. Otherwise they could just say chocolate chips..
Old 12-14-2006, 09:52 PM   #34
Certified Pretend Chef

The chocolate content of the milk choc. is significantly less than the semi-sweet and the taste is different.
Old 12-14-2006, 09:54 PM   #35
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to goboenomo Send a message via MSN to goboenomo Send a message via Yahoo to goboenomo
I'm very aware the taste is different. I the looove milk chocolate chips i have.
Thats why I want to know this. Could I add more or something?
Old 12-14-2006, 10:04 PM   #36
Certified Pretend Chef

Don't know for sure. You could give it a try. You can always eat your mistakes!
Old 12-14-2006, 10:09 PM   #37
Head Chef

Haha, for sure.
I'll give it a shot next time and let you know how it goes.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:16 AM   #38
Senior Cook

I have been making and dipping truffles for many years. You can use the same recipe for wht choc and milk choc. but use only 1 C cream or the centers will be too soft.

500 g bar of good bittersweet chocolate 60% or more... chopped
1 1/2 C heavy cream heated to boiling
Pour cream onto chocolate, stir until melted. Add 2 TBS unsalted butter and 3 TBS liqueur
Refrig until solid or overnight. Scoop out choc and form into small balls (use corn starch on your hands to help prevent sticking), refrig. for at least an hour. Dip into tempered 70% bittersweet chocolate. They will set up in minutes with a nice crisp shinny shell. Store in an air tight contaner in a cool place.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:21 AM   #39
Everymom

Whoops, nearly missed this. Milk chocolate chips are fine gobo, go for it. You can even try the white chocolate chips if you like. This recipe is pretty forgiving.
Old 12-16-2006, 01:29 AM   #40
Head Chef

Ok. So it's fine if I stick with the same amount of chips? Or should I use more?

Tags
None