Can anyone recommend a good ice cream maker?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I have the Cuisinart Pure Indulgence 2 qt and I love it! Like Breezy I keep my drum in the freezer (I have four so there is usually room) and have often whipped up a batch on the spur of the moment for company or just for me! The one thing is on the 20-25 minute cycle the ice cream is pretty soft, but it is truly edible and if you want it harder and have time, just put it in the freezer for even a half hour.

I have one of the very first Donvier ice cream makers and it does a nice job. I find the ice cream comes out a bit soft, but that could be my freezer. It does not make a lot of ice cream - that is probably for the best. :)

If you have children, this is a way for them to make ice cream, and they will have a blast. I use this basic recipe. I use the beaten egg, but then I am from the generation that grew up on snow cream. Rum-flavored extract makes the ice cream taste like eggnog. If you have very small children, it will cool them down and wear them out during summertime.

~Kathleen

Wow, Kathleen, that home-made ice cream device sounds like something folks would have resorted to in the 1940s. It would be nice if children would spend their time that way nowadays (ie, home-made devices and toys of various kinds) but I think that a giant economic crash would have to happen first.

I remember Ronald Reagan proudly describing how his mother made "hamburgers" out of oatmeal during the Depression. He was trying, I guess, to make a point.

...If you have children, this is a way for them to make ice cream, and they will have a blast. I use this basic recipe. I use the beaten egg, but then I am from the generation that grew up on snow cream. Rum-flavored extract makes the ice cream taste like eggnog. If you have very small children, it will cool them down and wear them out during summertime.

~Kathleen

You KNOW this is a great idea because you can spend $26 to buy a commercial version. Amazon.com: ICE CREAM MAKER GREEN: Sports & Outdoors

I'd stick with the cans.

Wow, Kathleen, that home-made ice cream device sounds like something folks would have resorted to in the 1940s. It would be nice if children would spend their time that way nowadays (ie, home-made devices and toys of various kinds) but I think that a giant economic crash would have to happen first. .

It does sound like it, doesn't it? :) All of my nieces and nephews loved making ice cream this way when they were small. I'd let them pick whatever they wanted to add. Mini-marshmallows, mini-chocolate chips, and mini-M&Ms were very popular. My nephew enjoyed squished up candy bars and one niece liked squished up fruit. The ice cream can be as soft or as firm as you wish it to be. You can really make it very solid. With constant rolling, the ice cream is really a good texture and most tasty. Plus, clean-up is a snap. Rinse the cans and put them in the recycling bin. I was reluctant to re-use the cans after having milk in them. After all, none of the children used to create the ice cream were mine. :)

~Kathleen

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom