"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Desserts, Sweets & Cookies & Candy > Frozen Desserts & Ice Creams

Old 08-03-2005, 03:02 AM   #1
Assistant Cook

Homemade Ice Cream Recipe

I am sure that someone has probably already posted this recipe, but itís too good to pass up. It is a slight variation on the Eagle Brand recipe posted on their web site. This recipe is for a six quart maker.

Ingredients;

Two 14oz (wt) cans of sweetened condensed milk

One quart (16oz) of heavy whipping cream

Two and a half tablespoons of vanilla extract (or to taste)

Two and a half cups of sugar (or to taste)

One gallon of whole milk

Also need (of course);

Ice (two or three bags usually gets it done for me, but temperature and humidity will effect and determine how much is actually used)

Rock salt (you probably wonít be able to find any because my wife bought it all the last time we needed some. Iíve got enough rock salt for years of ice cream making. Maybe we will get some snow and ice this winter I can use it to salt my steps.)

Mix your ingredients in the ice cream can (you will not use the entire gallon of milk), insert the dasher and install the cover. If you have the room in your freezer and are going to be making ice cream on a hot, humid day, Iíve found that putting the mixture in the freezer for fifteen or twenty minutes helps speed up the freezing time.

Install the can into the bucket and add some ice. Put about two or three inches of ice and then a layer of salt. Donít be stingy with the salt, put on a nice layer. Then repeat the ice Ė salt step until you reach the top. This goes without saying, but ÖÖ. be careful not to get salt in your mix or the ice cream once youíre done.

Now your ready to plug it up or start cracking and it you are hand cracking you have my respect. I have had this freeze as quick as forty five minutes and as long as one hour and thirty five minutes. Another optional step once finished mixing is to carefully drain the water, pack in more ice and let it sit for about thirty minutes (firms it up a little more). Good golly Miss Molly, pass a spoon!

One side note, Iíve found the recipe very good for adding fresh fruit (peachís, strawberries & etc) to it. Oh boy itís goooooood.

Enjoy.

Old 08-03-2005, 05:19 AM   #2
Senior Cook

Send a message via MSN to msalper
WELCOME TO DC!!!
I'll try it for my nephew... Thanks thmoneypit!!!

Tags
None