Ice Crystals in Homemade Ice Cream

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

camb908

Assistant Cook
Does anyone know how to prevent ice crystals from forming in homemade ice cream? Is there a method to it or is there a certain type of container I should be using to freeze it? Thanks very much ~

Does anyone know how to prevent ice crystals from forming in homemade ice cream? Is there a method to it or is there a certain type of container I should be using to freeze it? Thanks very much ~

It could be the amount of sugar in your recipe. More sugar controls crystal formation.

The faster you freeze the mixture, the smaller the crystals will be. I don't think the container makes a difference.

Two things. First, try chilling the mixture thoroughly before running it through your ice cream machine. As Andy points out, this will enable it to freeze more quickly.

Second, a higher percentage of milk fat will also help prevent crystals. Less water means less ice.

Two things. First, try chilling the mixture thoroughly before running it through your ice cream machine. As Andy points out, this will enable it to freeze more quickly.

Second, a higher percentage of milk fat will also help prevent crystals. Less water means less ice.

Ditto.

A little alcohol also prevents ice crystals from forming by lowering the freezing point of the ice cream. You can add about 1 oz. per quart batch.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom