Making Ice Cream without Ice Cream Maker

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Chopstix

Head Chef
I was recently served an excellent home-made Cinnamon ice cream. It wasn't made with any ice cream making machine. I couldn't get the recipe but was told that it had mascarpone cheese in it.

As I don't have an ice cream maker, I'm looking for ice cream recipes that don't need ice cream making machines. Thank you in advance!

I don't have an ice cream machine, either, but I've made lots of ice cream over the years. The secret is the partial freezing, and beating. While a recipe might tell you to partially freeze and beat only twice, I do it at least 3 times, 4 is better. This prevents the ingredients from separating and going really hard, and gives a flufflier, smoother ice cream. Also, if you use trays, make sure you cover the ice cream with some plastic wrap - actually lay it right onto the ice cream, to exclude air - this helps to prevent icicles forming. [Junket tables are rennet tablets.]

Most of these recipes are as old as the hills and don't give a beginner full instructions. Basically, when it says 'freeze', only partially freeze, a bit firmer than slushy, then beat well again, then partially freeze (as discussed above).

You could try smaller quantities to see how you like each recipe - and I see no reason why you couldn't add marscapone cheese to any of them for a richer result. Ice cream making isn't an exact science, IMO!

Ice Cream (1)
2 tins evaporated milk
1 tin condensed milk

Stir all together and put in freezer until partly set. Beat until creamy, then return to freezer. To prevent icing up of the surface, use an airtight container. For variety, add any of the following: any liqueur; dried fruit soaked in liqueur; cocoa or chocolate syrup; crushed nuts; fruit pieces or crushed fruit (especially mango, strawberries or passionfruit); chocolate pieces and peppermint essence; rum and raisins; crushed butterscotch lollies; or top with crushed peanut brittle, toasted coconut, chopped preserved ginger or other additions to suit.

Ice Cream (2)
300ml milk
90g sugar
vanilla
3 egg yolks
300ml cream or evaporated milk

Warm the milk with the sugar, add a few drops of vanilla and pour onto the egg yolks, beating all the time. Strain the mixture into a double saucepan and heat gently until it thickens, then allow it to cool. Whip the cream or evaporated milk until stiff, fold into the mixture, then turn into freezing trays and freeze.

Coffee Ice Cream:
Substitute 3 tablespoons coffee essence for the vanilla

Almond Ice Cream:
Substitute a drop or two of almond essence for the vanilla, and if liked add a few chopped blanched almonds

Chocolate or Choc-Mint Ice Cream:
Melt 60g sweet chocolate and add it to the milk and egg mixture. A few drops of peppermint essence may be added if liked.

Macadamia Honey Ice Cream:
Substitute honey for the sugar and add a few chopped macadamia nuts.

Rum and Raisin Ice Cream:
Add 1-2 tablespoons rum or rum essence and 1/2 cup raisins.

Ice Cream (3)
5 eggs
3/4 cup brown sugar
1 cup whipped cream

Beat the egg whites until stiff, then beat in the brown sugar well. Add the egg yolks and finally fold in the cream.

Ice Cream (4)
1 1/2 cups milk
1 1/2 junket tablets
1/2 cup sugar
1 cup pure cream
vanilla

Dissolve the junket tablets in the vanilla. Heat the milk until blood heat, add the sugar and stir until dissolved. Add the junket tablets and just stir to combine, leave to set. When completely set, beat it back to milk consistency, add the cream. Beat well and put into trays to set in the freezer. Allow to set, then beat it again, then refreeze.

Hollywood Ice Cream
300ml boiling milk
1/4 tin condensed milk
pinch salt
1 tablespoon sugar
3 rounded tablespoons powdered milk
6 rounded teaspoons gelatine
1/4 cup boiling water
300ml cold milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
1 teaspoon vinegar

Pour condensed milk, salt, sugar into boiling milk. Beat well for at least 2 minutes. Add powdered milk and continue beating for at least 5 minutes. (The long beating results in a fine texture to the mixture.) Dissolve gelatine in the boiling water. Add cold milk and gelatine mixture to the beaten mixture, then add vanilla. Freeze.

As for ourselves we always depend on our ever faithful gelatiera (ice cream maker), however I remember Piccolina saying that she often made fine ice creams without. Apart from using a correct composition of each ingredients, which is essential also when you are using the machine, I think her key technique was to take it out of the freezer a few times during the freezing process and stir in order to attain a right texture.
She didn't tell me her exact recipe and right now she has just relocated and been scarce from the forum for a couple of weeks, but hopefully she can help you in the near future... maybe you can PM her when she comes back...
Good luck!!

Chopstix said:
I was recently served an excellent home-made Cinnamon ice cream. It wasn't made with any ice cream making machine. I couldn't get the recipe but was told that it had mascarpone cheese in it.

As I don't have an ice cream maker, I'm looking for ice cream recipes that don't need ice cream making machines. Thank you in advance!

Chopstix, mascarpone ice cream & cinnamon sounds delish! I don't have an ice cream maker either, so, I'm glad to see your post. One idea (although not home-made) for cinnamon ice cream - get a good quality vanilla ice cream, let it defrost a bit and mix in cinnamon, to taste, and freeze. Serve with hot apple pie. Yum.

I went into my frozen files for some recipes I would like to try and hope they might be of interest. Some are not 'ice cream' recipes, but a few ideas to experiment with.

Espresso and Mascarpone Icebox Cake
Serving Size : 12

3 cups chilled heavy cream
1/2 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
1 cup mascarpone cheese (about 9 oz) at room temperature
1 (9-oz) box chocolate wafers such as Nabisco Famous
1 tablespoon instant-espresso powder*
9 1/2 to 10-inch springform pan (about 26 cm)

Beat 2 cups cream with 6 tablespoons sugar in a bowl with an electric mixer at medium speed until it just holds soft peaks, 2 to 4 minutes. Reduce speed to low, then add mascarpone and mix until combined.

Spread 1 1/4 cups mascarpone mixture evenly in bottom of springform pan and cover with 14 wafers, slightly overlapping if necessary. Spread with another 1 1/4 cups mascarpone mixture, followed by 14 more wafers arranged in the same manner. Spread remaining mascarpone mixture on top. Smooth top with a metal offset spatula, then cover pan with foil and freeze until firm, about 1 hour.

Transfer from freezer to refrigerator and chill, covered, until a sharp knife inserted into center cuts through softened wafers easily, about 8 hours. Pulse remaining chocolate wafers in a food processor until finely ground.

Beat remaining cup cream with espresso powder and remaining 3 tablespoons sugar using electric mixer at medium speed until it just holds stiff peaks, about 3 minutes. Remove foil and side of pan and frost cake all over with espresso cream. Sprinkle edge of top lightly with wafer crumbs. Serve cold.

• Cake, without espresso cream, can be chilled up to 2 days.
• Cake can be frosted with espresso cream 4 hours ahead and chilled, loosely covered with foil.

Parmigiano-Reggiano "Ice Cream"

1 cup heavy cream
2 cloves of garlic, peeled & sliced in half lengthwise
1/4 teaspoon of nutmeg
2 cups grated Parmigiano-Reggiano
Aged Balsamic Vinegar

Accompaniments:
Multigrain raisin or crusty French Bread
Red Grapes
Pear or apple slices
Walnuts
Spicy greens such as Arugula

Bring Cream, garlic and nutmeg to a boil in a heavy saucepan over medium-high heat, watching constantly. Remove garlic from cream. Add Parmigaino Reggiano, 1/2 cup at a time, stirring constantly until all cheese is incorporated

Continue stirring until all cheese is melted, about 1 minute. Remove from heat, pour into a shallow heat resistant dish and cool to room temperature. Cover dish and refrigerate until cheese stiffens

Scoop portions of "Gelato" with an ice cream scoop onto 6 salad plates. Garnish with your choice of accompaniments listed above. Drip a few drops of aged balsamic vinegar over the gelato and serve.

Berry Blender Ice Cream

1 Package (10 ounces) frozen sliced strawberries in syrup
1/4 Cup Whipping Cream
1 Egg
1 Teaspoon Lemon Juice

Dip package of frozen strawberries into hot water; remove strawberries and cut into chunks the size of ice cubes. Combine cream and eggs in blender or food processor fitted with metal blade; whirl 2 seconds. Drop in frozen Strawberries, a chunk at a time. Whirl until smooth, turning on and off and scraping side of container as needed. Stir in lemon juice. Spoon into serving dishes.

Note: Ice cream can be made ahead, covered, and stored in freezer. Remove 15 minutes before serving. Makes about 1 1/4 cups.

This dessert looks so good, wanted to toss it in as well:

Italian Lemon Semifreddo

1 (15.75-oz.) can lemon pie filling
1 cup whipping cream, whipped
1 pint lemon sorbet, softened
1 (13 3/4-oz.) pkg. soft coconut macaroons, coarsely crumbled

Place pie filling in large bowl. Fold whipped cream into pie filling until nearly blended.

Gradually add spoonfuls of sorbet, mixing at low speed until blended. Reserve 1 cup macaroon crumbs; fold remaining crumbs into whipped cream mixture. Pour mixture into 13x9-inch (3-quart) baking dish. Top with reserved macaroon crumbs. Cover tightly with foil. Freeze at least 4 hours or overnight until firm.

Before serving, refrigerate 1 hour or let stand at room temperature for 30 minutes or until slightly thawed. Cut into squares. Store in freezer.

and in case you don't have available refrigeration, don't forget the endothermic reaction of salt, ice, and water.

Thanks Daisy for those recipes. A friend and her family have gone to the highlands of Papua New Guinea as missionaries and she sent us a request for icecream recipes that don't contain fresh cream as they can't get it easily. I am cutting and pasting her your recipes.

I saw a way of making ice cream in a trashbag once. You put your ingredients in a big ziplock bag then place that bag in a trashbag with ice and tie it up. Then you toss the bag around from person to person for about half an hour or so (just play catch with it). By the end of the 30 minutes you have ice cream.

The show I saw that technique on also tested this product which is basically the same concept. They tested the two side by side and liked the ice cream from both equally.

I've used tinned cream and long-life (UHT) cream and milk, and tinned evaporated milk. Never a problem.

Qsis, that sounds absolutely yummy! Exactly what I was looking for! Thanks! And thanks for the other inputs too!

mish;

I imagine that it wouldn't be problematic to substitute cream for condensed milk and maybe a 10% cream for evaporated milk??? Am I close???

Qsis, I made your Paul Dean Oreo Cookie Ice Cream and it was a certified HIT! I think next time I will omit the sandwich filling to cut down the sweetness a bit (just a personal preference, mind you.) Also, the ice cream froze pretty nicely -- not rock hard at all! I garnished each ice cream bowl with an oreo cookie minus the filling. It was beautiful! Somebody praised it as the best ice cream he's ever had and asked for the recipe. (The recipe is so easy it's actually almost embarassing to reveal it! )

Thank you Qsis!!!

Well, Chopstix, on behalf of Paula Dean, "you're welcome". :)

Be nice to play around with other kinds of cookies, candies, nuts, fruits, flavorings,etc. to vary the ice cream. I bet a mint chocolate chip one would be delish!

Lee

Ya! Am also thinking brownies, choco chip cookie dough, chocolate nut bars....etc! The darker and more bittersweet the chocolate is, the better. The oreo cookie's rich dark chocolate taste works so well against the sweetness of the ice cream.

Daisy mentioned above about whipping it a few times during the freezing process.

When whipping, is it ok to use a electric egg beater style tool to whip it up? Or just use a fork and get aggressive.

I imagine the whipping would get harder as it gets colder.

No "Whip it good" jokes ok!

Hello Chopstix :)

I think you can use the same receipes for making icecream without the icecream maker as for with it.

When you make icecream without the icecream maker be sure to stir it every couple of hours while you are freezing it. The idea is to get as much air into it as possible. I sometimes make icecream but have never made it with an icecream maker. I want an icecream maker so hopefully I will get one soon. I am a bit lazy about going out and finding things like that.

Mel

All you need are two ziplocks. A gallon bag and a quart bag.
Put 1-2 cups of the ice cream you want to freeze in the quart bag and seal. place in the gallon bag. Around that quart bag inside the gallon bag add crushed ice and course ground rock salt. Seal the bag and agitate for 10 minutes or so. It will freeze the the mixture quite nicely..Just keep it moving.

We make simple ice cream camping this way. 1 cup milk 2 tbls sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla in the quart bag..

The more mix the longer it takes to freeze. Don't try it with more than 2 cups. If the ice all melts, add more to the gallon bag along with more salt.

Put 1-2 cups of the ice cream you want to freeze in the quart bag and seal. place in the gallon bag. Around that quart bag inside the gallon bag add crushed ice and course ground rock salt. Seal the bag and agitate for 10 minutes or so. It will freeze the the mixture quite nicely..Just keep it moving.

We make simple ice cream camping this way. 1 cup milk 2 tbls sugar, 1/2 tsp vanilla in the quart bag..

The more mix the longer it takes to freeze. Don't try it with more than 2 cups. If the ice all melts, add more to the gallon bag along with more salt.

That sounds great for a camp situation, but at home I think I will stick to the freezer for mine.

I am planning on making this tomorrow. If all you have to do is airate it every few hours to keep it fluffy, then I am assuming an electric egg beater on slow would work for this.

I'll bet you could make more using a 1 gallon bag inside a 2 gallon bag. You would just need to play catch for around 15 minutes longer.

Besides, just think, you could work off the calories before you ate the ice cream! :LOL: What fun!

Back
Top Bottom