"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #1
Assistant Cook

Beef broccoli - fishy?

So I've made this beef broccoli recipe before:

Thai Beef Broccoli

It turned out well, but it seems a bit fishier than I would like, and I *think* the oyster sauce is to blame, since I know what fish sauce tastes like. Any recommendations based on that recipe? I'm thinking something slightly sweeter and less fishy but I'm not quite sure.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #2
Head Chef

I don't use oyster sauce and only use fish sauce rarely but it seems to me that you could just switch the amounts of fish sauce and oyster sauce around in that recipe. Just a guess though.

Old 02-24-2011, 10:59 PM   #3
Head Chef

I'd skip the fish sauce entirely, and split the oyster sauce 50/50 with soy sauce.
Or keep the fish sauce (which I dearly love), reduce the oyster sauce to 1/3 and
use soy to taste.

GrillingFool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2011, 11:12 PM   #4
Senior Cook

I have a question 'bout that fish sauce. I have never used it before, nor ever felt the need to. But, however, I recently started watching Luke Nguyen's show from the Food Network. I like the show alot, &, just enjoy it to bits, but, I noticed that the main "staple" ingredients that he uses are fish sauce, chili/chili oils, sugar & vinegars & such.
Well, at some point in time, I decided that I too, should give this fish sauce a chance, &, bought a bottle of KAME fish sauce. Couldn't wait to get it home to open the bottle up. Well, once home, & opened, I took half of a sniff of the concoction, &, very nearly almost immediately wanted to cut my nose straight off from my face. No offence intended to any who DO like it/use it, but...I am at a cross-roads for myself now. I simply just can't even bring myself to give this stuff a taste, but...can't help but wonder if any out there have had a similar reaction, but, then got "over-it"?
PS - the chili oil turned out to be a nice surprise!
Old 02-24-2011, 11:17 PM   #5
Certified Pretend Chef

Ravich, what kind of oil did you use? Was it canola?

Fish sauce is to Thai cooking what soy is to Chinese. Don't hesitate to use it. Also, oyster sauce won't give you a fishy taste/smell at all.
Old 02-25-2011, 01:01 AM   #6
Assistant Cook

Yes, I used canola oil. I'll try it with soy instead of fish sauce and see what happens. I dont mind fish sauce in the slightest when I use it in curries, peanut sauce, etc for the record.

Can I substitute soy sauce for fish sauce at a 1:1 ratio?
Old 02-25-2011, 02:01 AM   #7
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
... but...can't help but wonder if any out there have had a similar reaction, but, then got "over-it"?
Yeah, it definitely has a distinct aroma. But it does not taste like it smells at all. I thought I would hate it too. But I found a great fried rice recipe on Steamy Kitchen that I was determined to make. I'm so glad I did! It turns out perfectly every time. Just don't inhale through your nose when you pour it. I swear you'll love whatever dish you use it in.

But if you're really really scared just start with half of what the recipe calls for and taste. =) You'll probably end up putting close to the full amount in to get the right flavor.

We are fed by a food industry which pays no attention to health, and healed by a health industry that pays no attention to food - Wendell Berry
Zereh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2011, 02:27 AM   #8
Senior Cook

@ Zereh....wow...thanks for the boost of confidence that I was looking for. After I purchased my bottle, then watched Lukes' episodes, I was quite critical....I even began to think that I MUST have bought the wrong kind of stuff - JINKIES :(
I suppose that I will give the sauce a "proper go" just to be fair ~ thanks for the encouragement!!!
Old 02-25-2011, 06:44 AM   #9
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_Merlot View Post
@ Zereh....wow...thanks for the boost of confidence that I was looking for. After I purchased my bottle, then watched Lukes' episodes, I was quite critical....I even began to think that I MUST have bought the wrong kind of stuff - JINKIES :(
I suppose that I will give the sauce a "proper go" just to be fair ~ thanks for the encouragement!!!
I love the stuff but you do not want to see how it is made...
Old 02-25-2011, 06:45 AM   #10
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ravich View Post
So I've made this beef broccoli recipe before:

Thai Beef Broccoli

It turned out well, but it seems a bit fishier than I would like, and I *think* the oyster sauce is to blame, since I know what fish sauce tastes like. Any recommendations based on that recipe? I'm thinking something slightly sweeter and less fishy but I'm not quite sure.
I would cut back on the oyster sauce and add a bit of soy.

Tags
beef, broccoli