Cannelloni lasagna/stuffed cannelloni.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

CakePoet

Head Chef
This is how I made the dish, so it smaller portions then said and for us, this enough for 4. It asks for Barilla cannelloni, but it doesnt seam it being sold USA so I guess any type of cannelloni will do.

10 cannelloni tubes.
butter

Sauce:
1 pound ground beef
1 onion chopped finely
1 -4 garlic cloves chopped.
14 ounce can finely chopped tomatoes
4 tablespoon tomato paste
3 tablespoon chopped flat leafed parsley
3 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
½ cup water
1 cube beef stock
salt and pepper to taste.
oil

Cheese topping:
15 ounces of ricotta
1 egg
8 ounces shredded mozzarella
1/4 cup grated Parmesan
salt and pepper.

Extra stuff needed:
Piping bag with wide open nozzle or ziplock bag.
Casserole dish 11x 7 inches.

Start with the sauce: Heat up a little oil in a deep frying pan. Fry onion and garlic until soft and sweet smelling, add the ground beef and use a fork and mush it up and fry until brown. Add the tomatoes, paste , water and stock cube, stir and simmer for 10 minutes. Add the herbs and salt, pepper and let it simmer for 20 minutes more. Taste and season if needed. Now leave to cool.

Heat the oven to 400 F.
Grease the casserole dish. For the cheese topping, add 2/3 of the mozzarella to the ricotta, add the Parmesan and stir. Taste and season. Now stir in the egg.
If need be precook the cannelloni ( I cooked mine 4 minutes even if it said it didnt need too).
Add the sauce to the piping bag with nozzle or ziplock with a corner cut off.
Fill the tubes and lay in the dish, mine takes 8 in a row and two on the side. Any left over sauce can be piped around the side of the cannelloni. Now spread the cheese topping over them and sprinkle the last of the mozzarella on top. Bake for 25- 35 minutes until golden and bubbly.

So you don't fill the shells with the cheese?

You fill them with the sauce and put the thick cheese mixture on top?

That's the opposite of how I make mine ....

Yes, you fill it with meat sauce, sorry it wasnt clear. Then spread the cheese topping on top, that why I thought it sounded good.

Sounds good. Might have to give it a try but will probably have to reduce the quantity since it's just the two of us.

Here in the U.S. the pasta tubes are labeled as "manicotti" shells. Same thing.

I've seen manicotti but I thought those were the tubes, and the shells were just shells. I make shells stuffed with ricotta cheese and covered with tomato sauce occasionally. I never had the patience to stuff the manicotti.

But I will definitely try the cannelloni lasagna. I go to the store again in two weeks and that one will definitely be on the list. Thank you, Cake Poet!

*EDIT: I just read Flour's link and I can see where I was confused, too. Apparently it's Stouffer's that doesn't know the difference between cannelloni and manicotti. Now I know the tubes are cannelloni and the shells are manicotti.

Do I have that right now?

Last edited:
Isn't manicotti a crepe wrapped around a cheese filling? I know they sell "manicotti tubes", but isn't that the same as canneloni? :ermm:

I bet that if I wanted to make a hundred canneloni, I could put the cheese mixture in the sausage stuffer and make quick work of it!

Last edited:
Isn't manicotti a crepe wrapped around a cheese filling? I know they sell "manicotti tubes", but isn't that the same as canneloni? :ermm:

I bet that if I wanted to make a hundred canneloni, I could put the cheese mixture in the sausage stuffer and make quick work of it!
That's the only way I make them--with crepes.

I think manicotti has a cheese filling and sauce that can have meat and/or veges, and cannelloni has a cheese/meat/vege filling and then a plain sauce, butI certainly won't swear to it.

I believe in Italy they use the term crespelle (crepe) for manicotti and it's a cheese filling. We occasionally make the crepes and fill them with moz and fontinella, with a basic t-sauce and grated parm on top. I often fold them into quarter circles instead of rolling them if I don't want to grate the cheese and just slice it.

Get pasta tubes, any tubes will do and the meat goes into the tubes, oki. The cheese mixture on top.

I've seen manicotti but I thought those were the tubes, and the shells were just shells. I make shells stuffed with ricotta cheese and covered with tomato sauce occasionally. I never had the patience to stuff the manicotti...

*EDIT: I just read Flour's link and I can see where I was confused, too. Apparently it's Stouffer's that doesn't know the difference between cannelloni and manicotti. Now I know the tubes are cannelloni and the shells are manicotti.

Do I have that right now?

If I'm not mistaken, you're describing three different types of pasta ;)

- manicotti - flat sheets of pasta or crepe dough rolled around a filling
- cannelloni - tube-shaped pasta
- conchiglie - shell-shaped pasta

I took an Italian cooking course when I was in university. We did all kinds of dishes every Monday--3 hours. My favorite was the night we made manicotti. I have done the recipe we did in class with the "noodles," too thick, I prefer the "crepe-like" pasta for the manicotti. Not hard to do.

If I'm not mistaken, you're describing three different types of pasta ;)

- manicotti - flat sheets of pasta or crepe dough rolled around a filling
- cannelloni - tube-shaped pasta
- conchiglie - shell-shaped pasta

Well, see there - I learned something today!

Maybe I should send a note to Stouffers. :LOL:

You know, that makes sense, though. A shell in Spanish is a concha, I think, and we call it a conch shell.

But I have a question: how do you know, if you see a tube shaped pasta with filling in it, whether it's a stuffed cannelloni, or whether it's a wide roll of manicotti rolled around a filling and and cut into sections?

But I have a question: how do you know, if you see a tube shaped pasta with filling in it, whether it's a stuffed cannelloni, or whether it's a wide roll of manicotti rolled around a filling and and cut into sections?

I think you would have to ask whoever made it ;) And I think that's probably why Stouffer's and maybe some other manufacturers put both manicotti and cannelloni on the packages - to account for people who know one word or the other and don't know the difference.

Back
Top Bottom