"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 11-24-2006, 10:18 PM   #41
Assistant Cook

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicholas Mosher
So who likes corned beef and cabbage? Pretty big up my way. Just grabbed a 3lb hunk of corned beef brisket along with some cabbage and roots.

Just curious how you guys cook yours. I was brought up with the "all in a pot with water" method staggering the addition of the vegetables for proper cooking times.
corned beef stock

hi........has anyone made a successful soup from the left over stock. I hate throwing it out, I have tried to make a soup but it is missing something???
Any suggestions peeps??

Old 11-25-2006, 10:27 AM   #42
Senior Cook

I'm not sure, there are some wonderfully creative people here but for me the left over water contains too much salt to have much use.

Old 11-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #43
Sous Chef

I use it in a 50/50 ratio with milk for the horseradish sauce I listed on the last page. Tastes great with a bit of mustard too. As mentioned above though, it can be a bit salty and a little goes a long way. I'd use some of it combined with other stock to make the base for a soup, maybe in a 50/50 ratio.
Old 11-26-2006, 11:50 PM   #44
Senior Cook

Your corned beef sounds delish CJS, can't wait to try it.
Old 11-27-2006, 04:38 AM   #45
Senior Cook

nick, i'm from rhode island and i grew up eating corned beef fairly often. i think it was referred to as a "new england boiled dinner".

andy m - thanks for the recipe. corned beef is not available here. some years back, before i realized i could look up everything on the net. i tried "winging it". pretty close to your recipe above, but minus the sugar and i only left it in the fridge overnight. it came out kind of ok, but maybe i'll try again this winter.
Old 11-27-2006, 03:51 PM   #46
Cook

"hi........has anyone made a successful soup from the left over stock. I hate throwing it out, I have tried to make a soup but it is missing something???
Any suggestions peeps??"

I've mixed it with low sodium beef broth in vegetable beef soup. A little goes a long way though.
Old 11-27-2006, 11:25 PM   #47
Senior Cook

I've got to try the clay pot method someone mentioned. I love my clay pot for chicken and also fresh herbed potatoes but haven't done corned beef in it. I usually do mine in the slow cooker with Guiness Beer for the liquid. Son says cabbage contamiates it like attie also mentioned so I usually cook the cabbage seperately. But hubby and I love corned beef and cabbage.

Tags
None