Ginger Flank Steak with Sake-Glazed Veggies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mish

Washing Up
Here's one that came up on my cooking radar screen, that's on my list.

Ginger Flank Steak with Sake-Glazed Veggies
Serve with a fruity Zinfandel
Serves 4

1/2 cup soy sauce
1/2 cup sake
1/4 cup (packed) dark brown sugar
3 tablespoons minced peeled fresh ginger
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar
4 garlic cloves, crushed
1 2-pound flank steak
1 pound asparagus, trimmed, cut into 1 1/2-inch lengths
3 tablespoons peanut oil
2 red bell peppers, cut into 1-inch-wide strips
1 1/2 pounds crimini mushrooms, halved, each half cut crosswise into 1/4-inch-thick slices
4 green onions, cut into 1-inch lengths
2 teaspoons cornstarch

Combine first 6 ingredients in 13x9x2-inch glass baking dish. Add meat. Cover and refrigerate at least 2 hours and up to 1 day. Let stand at room temperature 1 hour before continuing.

Cook asparagus in large pot of boiling salted water until crisp-tender, about 4 minutes. Drain. Rinse under cold water to cool. Drain again. (I'd steam em.)

Heat 2 tablespoons peanut oil in heavy large skillet over medium-high heat. Add red bell pepper strips and sauté 3 minutes. Add crimini mushrooms and sauté until mushrooms are soft, about 5 minutes. Add green onions and asparagus and sauté until vegetables are tender, about 2 minutes longer. Transfer vegetables to serving platter. Tent with foil to keep warm.

Heat remaining 1 tablespoon peanut oil in same skillet over high heat. Remove steak from marinade; reserve marinade. Add steak to skillet and cook to desired doneness, about 4 minutes per side for medium-rare. Transfer to cutting board. Tent with foil and let stand 5 minutes.

Meanwhile, place reserved marinade in small saucepan. Whisk in cornstarch. Whisk over high heat until sauce thickens and boils, about 3 minutes. Remove sauce from heat. Season sauce to taste with salt and pepper.

Cut steak across grain on diagonal into 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange steak slices atop vegetables on platter. Spoon some of sauce over meat and vegetables. Serve, passing remaining sauce separately.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom