How long to cook brisket

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

texasgirl

Master Chef
How long do you cook brisket??

I got a brisket, but, I threw away the package before I looked at the time to cook. Unfortunately, it's raining off and on and I have to cook it in the oven, so what temp and how long do you think I need to cook it?? It's 7 1/2 lbs. about 12" long,6"wide and about 4"thick

Last edited:
Am not a chef so can't give you an answer that could help, but did find a simple recipe that may help give you an idea how long to cook it. Have not tried out recipe, but looks good to me so may try it out.

Oven Brisket

1 packet dry onion soup mix
1 tablespoon all-purpose flour
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 (5-pound) beef brisket
1 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper
1 (14.5-ounce) can low-sodium beef broth
3 tablespoons Worcestershire sauce
  1. Preheat oven to 300°F (150°C).
  2. Combine dry onion soup mix, flour and garlic in an oven roasting bag; close bag and shake well.
  3. Season brisket with salt and pepper and place in bag. Pour in beef broth and Worcestershire sauce.
  4. Close bag, place in a shallow baking pan and make a few slits with a sharp knife in the top of the bag to vent it.
  5. Bake for 4 hours, or until tender.
Makes 10 servings.

Thank you soooo much, icymist, I was beginning to wonder if I was going to get a reply
2.gif

I went ahead and put it in the oven at 325,so, I guess I wasn't too wrong, I'll just turn it down a little. I have a store bought marinade that is so good, I won't use anything else. It makes the meat so tender and delicious. But, that recipe might be really good on ribs
5.gif

I'll try it next time.

I realize it's probably been eaten by now :)lol:) but I'd probably roast it at 275-300 degrees if using the oven, or throw it in the crock pot on low. Low heat and long cooking is best for brisket, whether dry or wet heat is used.

Not eaten ...yet. Rob, but, it has about an hour left. I just HATE cooking them in the oven. I love them on the smoker though. But with the threat of rain all day, I cooked it in the oven. Of course since I did, It didn't do anything so far but sprinkle!! I just love Texas ;o)

I always hate to advise how long to cook something- the only really good advice I can give is "til it's done!":LOL: I know that sounds smart-alecky, but it's true. Cooking temp varies so much from oven to oven, etc. Cooking to a given internal temp is my regular method for pork & meatloaf, but obviously you need to cook the meat longer on tougher meat like brisket.

Hope it turns out well!:chef:

We took a piece, I think it's too tough, DH, bless him, says it's great :eek:)
I know what you mean about the different temps and ovens. I just cooked it at 300 for 5 hours and then turned up to 375 for the last 2. It'll do, I guess.
We usually smoke them on my mil huge wood smoker, but, when we borrow it, we have to cook 3-4 for them too and we just didn't have time to do that and didn't want to hurt any feelings. We use a really good marinade called Claudes brisket marinade. Anyone in Texas can get it, not sure about other states. If you can, try it, it's worth it!!

I like to cook my brisket in a large crock pot I cut in 2 or 3 pieces add seasoning and cook it about 8 hours on low.Really Yummy.

Have not attempted to fix brisket because I know it is a more difficult piece of meat to cook. I have to be careful of meats, they must be tender or I cannot eat them. Have had stomach surgery so have to be very careful.

Brisket is a tough piece of meat. To make it tender, you need to cook it a long time. And at low temps if possible.

We normally cook ours about 9 hours around the house, about 12 in competition.

Probably need to cook it to a an internal temp of about 195°.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom