"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 10-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #11
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by David Cottrell View Post
No, you aren't stupid - I learned the hard way to read those reviews - some of the recipes I have looked at seemed great but the reviews stated otherwise so I pass on them. And! the tips are great - worth the time, sometimes I will print off the recipe and pencil in some of the tips I like or need. :)
I normally read the reviews for any recipe that I find online like this... It just never crossed my mind for some reason. I guess I had it in my head I was going to try this no matter what. (Maybe subconciously I was trying to avoid anything that may deter me from trying this recipe... it is meatloaf you know!!!)

Old 10-22-2007, 01:54 PM   #12
Master Chef

Yep, pretty much nothing. I do eat hamburgers and chili, but only once in a while. Actually, there was funny story about the chili. We were invited for lunch ones to friends house and they had served chili. The hostess was extremely proud of her self that she made such a wonderful chili. Well, chili was at best mediocre to begin with, Iíve had some good chilies that even I like, and then she made a mistake of asking me how I liked it. Guess what my answer was. I told her it was addible. We havenít been to their place since. (No big loss).
The only 2 things that I do like are probably spaghetti and chicken meatballs in chicken soup.
In part it might be due to the fact that i do not like beef.

Old 10-22-2007, 02:08 PM   #13
Master Chef

Ahhhh, ok. Now it is making some sense! Wow Charlie... I guess I never knew that about you. I have met folks that don't eat beef, don't eat meat... but I don't think I have ever met anyone that just does not like it. I suppose that half the folks that say they don't eat it don't like it either!! :)
Old 10-22-2007, 02:14 PM   #14
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
The meat I used was very very lean and I knew then that may contribute to a possibly dry loaf. And I know it was not over cooked. I used a themometer and cooked it to 150 and let it stand. I may have cut into it prematurely. And it was a tad dry, but not too bad.
I try to always use 85% lean ground beef for meatloaf, then as soon as I take it out of the oven, I pour off the loose grease and then let it rest. This way, it's moist and juicy, but not greasy, and it slices well. HTH.
Old 10-22-2007, 02:52 PM   #15
Master Chef

Thanks GG... I did not expect that it would turn out perfect the first time around. That is why I tap into you kind and all knowing folks!!!

I may skip the grind my own meat step next time... I about put my food processor in to overuse shock!!!
Old 10-22-2007, 02:56 PM   #16
Master Chef

I do not completely dislike it. If it is a good stake or good rib-eye roast, or some other fancy piece, that is cooked right I like it.
Old 10-22-2007, 03:35 PM   #17
Assistant Cook

I posted a nice reply but now I can't find it?

Anyhoo...I made this same recipe last week and my husband LOVED it and it turned out great.

I probably had only a little over 2 lbs of ground meat (ground chuck and some ground steak - I don't remember what cut). I also only used 5 oz of croutons because I couldn't find garlic croutons in a 6 oz container. I did use 2 eggs. I also doubled the glaze and basted the meatloaf several times while the meatloaf was cooking. I used a chili sauce that provided just the right kick.

I had never made a meatloaf on a cookie sheet before but I will definitely try that again because I liked that it didn't sit in all of the fat as it was cooking.
Old 10-22-2007, 04:52 PM   #18
Master Chef

Awesome Jen!!! Thanks for the tips!!!
Old 11-13-2007, 11:25 AM   #19
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by sattie View Post
I guess the one big problem I had is that the loaf did not hold together as well as I would have liked and when I went to slice the loaf, it came apart in chunks. Any ideas of what I did wrong or what I could do different for next time? I really liked the finished product and would like to make it again.Any tips would be great. Thanks!!!
that is the one common factor in my meatloaves. They don't 'slice'. They break up and it turns to meat chunks on the plate. I hope if I read more, I'll get the answer too. I may just go into chowhound and ask them too for their help.

Have read many things about meatloaves and what makes them correct in the way they turn out and what ruins them also.

I've read that you should never over work the meat mixture.
I've read not too many eggs.
I've read only soaked in milk bread, then squeeze out the milk.
I've read add water and/or ice cube little chunks to the meat mixture.
I've read use a topper such as ketchup.
I've read don't use a topper.
It's the temp of the oven.
It's not the temp of the oven.
I've read a tomato sauce included in the mix.
I've read no tomato sauce in the mix.
I've read reviews that are positive but, [when I made it] my review was negative.

I see what the problems are in making a good meatloaf.
No one can agree on the particulars.
Gad, I'm frustrated.

My next move is to go to America's Test Kitchen site and read their suggestions.

There must be a measurement thing or an ingredient mixing thing that enters in to the mix, maybe also a loose straight on the flat pan or in a loave pan thing. How can one meal be so difficult?

Tags
None