"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-02-2006, 08:56 PM   #1
Master Chef

ISO Country Fried Steak recipe

Now I know what you're all thinking. This is an old standby. Goodweed should have this one in his sleep.

Alas, though I've made all kinds of meat dishes, and am well versed in what meat does, how it reacts to temperature, etc. I'm looking for perfect technique using a cast-iron dutch oven in the oven. I'm thinking chuck steak, with a flavorful coating of seasoned flour, quickly fried to golden brown, and then placed in a slow oven for an extended time with aromatics and mushrooms.

My first attempt with this technique (last night) turned out pretty bad. I erroneously reasoned that steam from the raw onions and meat would drip back to the pan surface, causing the dish to braise in its own juices. The flour coating was supposed to turn into a self-made gravy.

What I got was very tender meat whoes bottom side was coated with a hard and crispy crust that adhered to the meat like epoxy on cardboard. And it was about as chewy. The flavor was pretty much gone as well.

Now I suspect that a bit of beef broth added to the mix, say 1/2 cup or so, would have helped tremendously. But I didn't want to alter the natural flavor of the meat, and not having any natural broth or stock handy, didn't want to use a beef soup base.

So I know I have to maybe reduce the oven temp. from 300 to possibly 200' F. I suspect that a half inhc of liquid is necessary to make this work as well.

So all of you Southerners, or cast-iron, dutch oven experts out there (alright, where's a Texan when you need one?), help me out with this one.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2006, 12:23 AM   #2
Master Chef

I sympathize with ya goodweed on this one. Another dish I can't master. I've tried using the cube steak but the meat ends up turning out too tough.......even though I've adjusted the cooking time several times. My problem is mastering the tenderness of the meat, as I can get the gravy part perfect. Sure hope someone chimes in here and helps you out...........ultimately helping me and others out as well.

Old 07-06-2006, 09:11 PM   #3
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
I have found an easy cheater-pants way that always turns out fantastic with people always asking for the recipe. I use round steak, pre-tenderized (evil stuff for any other use though). Bisquick is the secret recipe, jazzed up with bread crumbs or a little cracker meal. I would say I use a 1/4 cup per cup of bisquick. Add some garlic, onion powder, and pepper to taste, and salt if you like, but the soda in the bisquick seems to cover that. Dip the steak in egg with a little milk, and brown in butter or shortening on medium heat, then finish off in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes. I do use a cast-iron skillet for this. Hope this in a roundabout way maybe helps a little.....

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by shannon in KS
I have found an easy cheater-pants way that always turns out fantastic with people always asking for the recipe. I use round steak, pre-tenderized (evil stuff for any other use though). Bisquick is the secret recipe, jazzed up with bread crumbs or a little cracker meal. I would say I use a 1/4 cup per cup of bisquick. Add some garlic, onion powder, and pepper to taste, and salt if you like, but the soda in the bisquick seems to cover that. Dip the steak in egg with a little milk, and brown in butter or shortening on medium heat, then finish off in a 350 oven for 15-20 minutes. I do use a cast-iron skillet for this. Hope this in a roundabout way maybe helps a little.....
Thanks a bunch. I was counting on the extended cooking time to tenderize the meat. But with your technique, using already tenderized round steak (cube steak?), the dish should come out just great. Thanks a bunch.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 07-07-2006, 11:54 AM   #5
Cooking Links Contest Winner

Send a message via Yahoo to shannon in KS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Thanks a bunch. I was counting on the extended cooking time to tenderize the meat. But with your technique, using already tenderized round steak (cube steak?), the dish should come out just great. Thanks a bunch.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North
I think it is called cube steak. Also, although you probably figured it out... looks like I forgot to mention after dipping the steak into the egg mixture, to coat well with the bisquick mixture and press into the steak. Glad it worked well for you!

shannon in KS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 01:16 PM   #6
Senior Cook

Goodweed: If you google "Chicken Fried Steak Recipes" (which is what country fried steak really is) you will find a gazillion recipes. Take your pick.
Old 07-21-2006, 12:21 PM   #7
Assistant Cook

Send a message via ICQ to dhampir Send a message via MSN to dhampir Send a message via Yahoo to dhampir
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
Now I know what you're all thinking. This is an old standby. Goodweed should have this one in his sleep.

Alas, though I've made all kinds of meat dishes, and am well versed in what meat does, how it reacts to temperature, etc. I'm looking for perfect technique using a cast-iron dutch oven in the oven. I'm thinking chuck steak, with a flavorful coating of seasoned flour, quickly fried to golden brown, and then placed in a slow oven for an extended time with aromatics and mushrooms.

My first attempt with this technique (last night) turned out pretty bad. I erroneously reasoned that steam from the raw onions and meat would drip back to the pan surface, causing the dish to braise in its own juices. The flour coating was supposed to turn into a self-made gravy.

What I got was very tender meat whoes bottom side was coated with a hard and crispy crust that adhered to the meat like epoxy on cardboard. And it was about as chewy. The flavor was pretty much gone as well.

Now I suspect that a bit of beef broth added to the mix, say 1/2 cup or so, would have helped tremendously. But I didn't want to alter the natural flavor of the meat, and not having any natural broth or stock handy, didn't want to use a beef soup base.

So I know I have to maybe reduce the oven temp. from 300 to possibly 200' F. I suspect that a half inhc of liquid is necessary to make this work as well.

So all of you Southerners, or cast-iron, dutch oven experts out there (alright, where's a Texan when you need one?), help me out with this one.

That is the same as Chicken Fried Steak if you want the recipe let me know
Old 07-21-2006, 05:07 PM   #8
Master Chef

Send the recipe and I'll giver it a try. Thanks.

Tags
None