ISO Meatloaf adventure help

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

legend_018

Head Chef
Do you see anything that doesn't look right with the recipe below? Any suggestions?

I already make a pretty decent meatloaf. Usually just (ground beef, onion, bbq sauce, sometimes ketchup, eggs, breadcrumbs, garlic, and spices) for the most part. You can't really go wrong.

However, There is this butcher place that makes and sells meatloaf. They have these white things all over the meatloaf that my DH loves. I called them last night and found out it was Hoffman's Cheddar Cheese.

I also found this recipe on the internet. I was thinking about trying it. Anything sound strange about it? I think I might at least add swirls of bbq on the top. I never only used 1/4 cup of dry bread crumbs. Usually it needs more to hold together. hmmmm. I did see another meatloaf topic that I did glance through. It has something like 15 pages to it.

Recipe

1 Egg; beaten
1/4 c Dry bread crumbs
3 sl Bacon cut in 1/4" pieces
1 sm Chopped onion
2 oz Cubed cheddar
1/2 ts Seasoned salt
1/2 ts Pepper
1 1/2 Lean ground beef
1/2 lb Bulk pork sausage

Preheat oven to 450°.

Combine. Form into loaf and bake until no pink
remains.

other than the heat being a little high (I cook mine at 350 F), the recipe looks doable. Looks like there will be lots of grease to pour off with the pork sausage and the bacon.

The only thing I notice is that when I make meatloaf I use 1 1/2 cups bread crumbs when using 2 lbs of ground beef. It really helps it stay together and not be so greasy. Maybe you could up the amount of bread crumbs.

Tip* put slices of bread on the bottom of your pan and then top with the meatloaf, then cook. This really helps in soaking up the grease.

I agree with cjs, 450°F seems rather high. At least cover the meatloaf so the exterior won't get dried out, just taking it off at the end to get it browned.

I would use a bit of spice, nutmeg, mace or ginger instead of salt. sausage and bacon will give enough salt to the meatloaf already.

I'm not making this until Friday, but I went to the market a few minutes ago. I decided to use ground turkey instead of the sausage. But, I will still use the bacon. I got the hoffmans cheddar at the deli. I forgot to ask for it whole and she sliced it. oh well.

;)

You'll be giving up a lot of flavor by eliminating the sausage.

Also, I don't see any veggies in there. I'd include some chopped garlic in addition to the listed onion. Also, consider some green pepper and mushrooms.

It's your recipe now!:) Change the bits you don't fancy ( as you are planning to do) and leave the bits you do. What a good idea to put bread on the bottom first. I usually put grated carrot in mine as well as the onion and garlic. (DH doesn't like peppers) and some parsley ..fresh if you have it, dry if you don't. Oh and the nutmeg as has already been suggested.
Do post and let us know what you thought of it.

I use a loaf pan to shape the meatloaf then turn it out onto a foil covered rack in a cookie sheet. All the fat runs off and you get a nice crispy crust on 5 of the 6 sides.

Since I'm doing ground pork instead of using the sausage.....I was also thinking about cooking pepporini on the stove for a good 1/2 hour and than just use the drippings for the meatloaf.

But, I'm also thinking, than I should of just kept with the sausage instead of switching to ground pork. I do want the flavor to be yummy. My basic meatloafs actually don't have any sausage or bacon in it and it's still good though.

I think Italian sausage would give a better flavor than breakfast sausage (also very good).

I recommend just chopping up the pepperoni and mixing it into the meatloaf mix.

I have a meat loaf pan. Can't remember where I got it. It looks like a regular loaf pan with an tray that fits inside. The tray sits slightly above the bottom of the pan to catch the fat from the ground meats. It certainly makes for a better meatloaf with less fat.

The addtion of garlic, pepper etc. would be a definate addition to the posted recipe.

Enjoy!

Last edited:
legend_018 said:
I'm not making this until Friday, but I went to the market a few minutes ago. I decided to use ground turkey instead of the sausage. But, I will still use the bacon. I got the hoffmans cheddar at the deli. I forgot to ask for it whole and she sliced it. oh well.

;)

Are you using turkey or pork?

IMO, pork is better than sausage but that's a matter of taste. I like meatloaf mix, myself.

Turkey will need a lot of seasoning.

450 is much too hot, IMO. You'll burn the outside before the inside is cooked.

I would change a few things, but that's just me.

First, I would increase the number of eggs to two, one for each pound of meat. But, I wouldn't use eggs. I would use 1/2 cup of Better-N-Eggs egg substitute, but that equals two large eggs. I would also increase the bread crumbs to 1 cup, and I would make them with fresh slices of whole grain bread in my food processor, or I would replace the cup of bread crumbs with a cup of rolled oats to increase the healthiness factor. I would increase the amount of cheddar cheese to six ounces, and I would use low fat shredded, not cubed. I would also leave the bacon strips whole and put them on top of the meatloaf to impart a mositness (albiet a greasy moistness) into the finished product. I would, however, not use turkey bacon to make it more healthy. Turkey bacon is disgusting! Last but not least, I would stuff it all into a loaf pan, but the loaf pan would just be a mold for the meatloaf. I would turn the meatloaf pan upside down onto a broiler pan, remove the loaf pan, and bake it in a 350F oven for 1 hour. The broiler pan allows the fat and grease from the meat to drain away so the meatloaf doesn't boil in it.

Last edited:
Ya know, I forogt that I have transferred all my recipes to my work computer, just in case I need to make a shopping list before I go home. Here is my low carb, low fat, meatloaf recipe.

LOW CARB/LOW FAT MEAT LOAF

1 pound ground beef
1 pound ground turkey breast
1 cup oatmeal
½ onion, diced
½ bell pepper, diced
2 celery stalks, sliced
2 garlic cloves, pressed
½ cup egg substitute
1 Tbs oregano
½ cup tomato sauce
1 Tbs olive oil

Sauté onion, bell pepper, and celery in olive oil until soft. Add garlic and continue to sauté until onions are transparent. Add tomato sauce and simmer on low heat for 30 minutes or more. Put egg substitute in a large bowl, add ground beef, ground turkey breast, and oregano to bowl and mix thoroughly. Add the cooled sauce to the bowl and combine. Pat tightly into a loaf pan, then invert onto a broiler pan and remove the loaf pan. Bake in 375F oven for 1 hour. Makes 8 servings.

Total protein per serving – 17.0g
Total carbs per serving – 3.5g
Total fat per serving – 9.0g

I have ground beef and ground pork that I'll be using. I am replacing the sausage it calls for in the recipe with the ground pork.

legend_018 said:
I have ground beef and ground pork that I'll be using. I am replacing the sausage it calls for in the recipe with the ground pork.

You do realize that the sausage has herbs and spices in it that you're not gonna get with plain ground pork, right?

Caine said:
You do realize that the sausage has herbs and spices in it that you're not gonna get with plain ground pork, right?

Yes, I'm hoping extra bacon and cut pepporini will make up for it.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom