ISO - TNT Recipe for Swedish Meatballs

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
Okay, the word I was looking for is something that is called "sky" in Swedish :ROFLMAO:. It is for example the fluid that has gathered in the roasting tray after roasting a chicken, the fluid that came out of the meat. Is there a better word for that?

Drippings

Maybe I am too late, but here's a basic recipe from one of the most common Swedish cook books. Swedish meatballs, or "köttbullar".

Intructions:
Put hot water in the frying pan after finishing frying the meatballs, to make the gravy. Put the gravy in a pot, and add the stock cube and let it dissolve. Mix the flour and the milk or water. Add that mix to the pot while stirring. Boil for about five minutes. Put in the soy and cream to your taste and season if needed.

If there is something unclear don't hesitate to ask me. English is not my native language, and I had to look up some cooking terms. Please tell me if I am making language mistakes. HTH!

I would write, "After removing the meatballs, deglaze the frying pan with water. Pour the deglazing liquid into a pot." Someone else here may have a better expression than "deglazing liquid".

I would just make the gravy in the frying pan. Then you wouldn't need to worry about what to call the liquid with the fond in it. E.g., "After removing the meatballs, deglaze the frying pan with water. Add the stock cube..."

Juices, renderings... those are a couple.
Yeah, but don't those terms imply that they came from roasted meat and still liquid or that they leaked onto the frying pan and are still liquid without deglazing?

Exactly! You put some hot water in the pan to "make" some gravy. But the sauce can also be made without gravy. A stock cube is usually enough to get taste. If you want to make it without the gravy you can just put water instead. I often make it like that. :)

Thank you Ezil!

Thank you Ezil!
My grandma sometimes added a dollop or two of sour cream to the gravy...she passed away over 40 years ago. I think the gjetost was something my aunt who is 100% Norwegian (and an amazing cook) introduced to the recipe. I can't recall my grandma leaving it out, so that would be her "secret" ingredient. In my family, we add sour cream, grated gjetost, and lingonberry sauce to roast beef gravy and venison gravy too.

Last edited:
My grandma sometimes added a dollop or two of sour cream to the gravy...she passed away over 40 years ago. I think the gjetost was something my aunt who is 100% Norwegian (and an amazing cook) introduced to the recipe. I can't recall my grandma leaving it out, so that would be her "secret" ingredient. In my family, we add sour cream, grated gjetost, and lingonberry sauce to roast beef gravy and venison gravy too.

I just ate and you are making me hungry again. I'm going shopping for your recipe tomorrow!:pig:

Back
Top Bottom