My (2) New Burger Secrets ... What Are Yours???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
83.gif

35.gif

tee-hee. :D

GB said:
Aruzinsky, Websters defines adulterate as: to corrupt, debase, or make impure by the addition of a foreign or inferior substance or element; especially : to prepare for sale by replacing more valuable with less valuable or inert ingredients.

If you are to go by this definition then adding ANYTHING other than ground meat would make it an adulterated product. I think you are really getting to wrapped up in technical definitions. There is nothing wrong with adding other flavorings to hamburgers. It does not necessarily make it an inferior product.

Your Websters definition is adequate. What some people apparently fail to appreciate is the difference between "or" and "and." I have used the word "adulterate" in a manner that is consistent with the consensus of dictionariy definitions. The fact that I have used it in unusual context is irrelevant, otherwise, there should be nothing new to say.

I believe that I have given good advice in a manner that is not palatable only to people who are heavily influenced by methods of persuasion other than logic. Maybe, I am trying to use reverse psychology on these people. That way both rational and irrational people get what they deserve.

Please stick to the topic that RAYT721 posted: My (2) New Burger Secrets ... What Are Yours??? Thanks! :)

We are getting WAAAY off topic here...

Without trying to remember all the names, it seems I kind of lit off a firestorm here, and would like to find out what kind of fool I indeed appear to be...

Its my thought that whether you have onion "on", or onion"in", bacon "on" or "in", salt the interior or the exterior, or add garlic or pepper, that there's be that much difference...

I do agree with the "meat cut" selection issue; there's burgers that are aimed at the "juicy" end of things with sirloins or NY Strip ground up, and others that are aimed at "chuck", but I believe the two can be amicably mixed...

Personally, I use large "leaf" oatmeal as an added ingredient, because I have an issue with chloresteral and fibre, and adding oatmeal helps with that...

It also sucks up moisture (and, true, some fats!) which, in my opinion, adds to the flavour...

And I use an egg or so (and, no, I do not separate the yolk!) because I find this keeps the burger from falling apart, and, using smoke and slow cooking, that's an issue to me...if you are a "Tim Allen" cook that flash burns the meat to a "cooked" status, well and good, just remember some of us don't follow that path, and we like our burgers the way we have gone to...classic BBQ, low, slow, smokey cooking...

I'd hate to go to Daniel Webster for any cooking "definition", so I dearely hope we can discard these posts from consideration, as we try to evolve and share "unique" methods of showing the meat the flames, or confine the treatment of food or meat to some ancient method, while ignoring newer and in some ways better ideas and attempts...

We are all, obviously, free to ignore or delete those posts we would rather not go with...

On the other hand, using premium meat, ground up, and not adding an egg to the mix how the Devil do you keep it from breaking up as it cooks? Don't your burgrs get overly thick to bite into as you get your sesame buns (I'm sticking with sourdough, regardless!) tomato slices as thick as your burgers -are your patties really thin, or tomato really thick?-and with other condiments, do these argue that you can stretch your jaws more than I can?

No Offence, you understand, your posts are interesting and give me some insights to new and different waysand tastes to do it all with, but you have to get a bit more explicit on where I'm going wrong in my so-far successful methods..

?

Lifter

Lifter said:
We are all, obviously, free to ignore or delete those posts we would rather not go with...

Right on, Lifter! However, as much as we may wish otherwise sometimes, we can only delete our own posts.

I have never added egg to my hamburgers - only olive oil, Worcestershire, horseradish, a homemade garlic salt concoction and my thumbprint right in the middle of a big fat pattie (keeps it from shrinking).

YUM, I want one now!!!!! LOL Oh, and I like them VERY rare. If you ever buy a whole tenderloin take that strip of meat off on the side and grind it up - makes the best burgers!!

luvs_food said:
sorry if someone posted this already, but bleu cheese burgers are great. a little splash of worcestershire and some freshly-cracked black pepper and you're good to go!
OOPS! the post before me mentioned gorgonzola. oh, well. can't erase posts on here, so i'll just leave it up. sorry!

I love them like that but I add three slices of thick sliced bacon with that.

My burger secrets are probably not even really secrets. I make my patties with as little pressure to the meat as possible, but enough to shape and hold it together. I also indent the center a little. This keeps the burger from puffing up into a ball instead of a patty. Last, but not least I NEVER press down on the burger while it is cooking. My MIL did that last week when we were there for dinner and I cringed every time she did it. Her burgers tasted great, but I just wondered how much better they would have been if she didn't mash the juices out first.

Is anyone here any old-timey 'Bostonite'? There used to be a place in Kenmore Square, I think, called the 'Fatted Calf' - anyone remember it? Absolutely awesome burgers, with different toppings - the reply about the blue cheese burger reminded me of that restaurant, 'cause they served a burger with a huge scoop of blue cheese on top. Yum!

I made some adulterated burgers last weekend and they actually turned out fantastic.

For each pound of ground beef, I put in 1 slice of bread, totally soaked with water, 1 tsp of Beef Base, and 1 egg.

Mushed up the bread, egg, and Beef Base and gently mixed in the ground beef. Formed into BIG patties with the center squished. Grilled on HIGH heat until burger was crispy on the outside and cooked but still very juicy in the middle.

Yummy Yummy Yummy. Not only were they tasty, but they were so juicy that it ran down your chin. They were the messiest juiciest tastiest burgers I've had in a long time.

i'm going to try adding a little cream and fresh-cracked black pepper to some not-too-lean ground beef and see if that produces a nice burger...
anyone add cream to thiers?

My wife likes crushed soda crackers in hers, I've come to like rolled oats and chopped onion...but each of us to our own...crushed multigrain crackers do okay too..

A question within this discussion...I like Hy's Seasoning on my beef recipes...do you guys put it on before, during, or after cooking?

Lifter

Ooooh Elf!

You are opening up such a big thing,...I can say "Its one of those "pilot" things...it went over your head"...

Seriously, "Hy's" was a 1960's "Steak House", and prett good at that!, and Hy's Seasoniong Salt is normally available at A+P, locally at Fortino's, etc...

A mix, I'd guess, of kosher salt, paprika, black pepper, onion powder, garlic powder, etc...pretty good stuf on beef...

Lifter

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom