"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-21-2004, 07:15 PM   #31
Certified Executive Chef

In the center of each burger I put a roasted garlic clove and shallot and about 1 tsp of gorganzola. But must make certain to entirely enclose in center or it leaks out. This is my favorite with only thinly sliced raw onions and wasabi mayo on it, sometimes I add grilled mushrooms.

:roll: GO DUCKS

Old 09-21-2004, 09:43 PM   #32
Master Chef

sorry if someone posted this already, but bleu cheese burgers are great. a little splash of worcestershire and some freshly-cracked black pepper and you're good to go!
OOPS! the post before me mentioned gorgonzola. oh, well. can't erase posts on here, so i'll just leave it up. sorry!

Old 09-22-2004, 07:40 AM   #33
Sous Chef

There are things I do for a juicy flavorful burger.

First, I never use lean meat. Lean meat usually makes for a dry burger, especially if you follow the guidelines and cook your burgers medium well, for safety's sake. I'll use anthing between 70 and 80 percent lean. When cooking, the fat will drain out and leave you with a tender moist flavorful burger. I have a freezer full of 73% lean ground beef. It was on sale, so I bought 25 pounds of it. If you cook it carefully, most of the fat comes out. Did you know that it's the fat that gives meat its flavor? Without the fat, you probably wouldn't be able to tell the difference between pork and beef in a blind taste test.

Second, I shape them into a pizza shape. In othe words, I make the edges thicker than the center. Helps the patty cook evenly.

Third, the smoother you make the surface, the juicier the inside will be. If you are careless and leave cracks in the patty, these cracks will allow too much moisture to escape. You end up with a drier burger.
Old 09-22-2004, 12:56 PM   #34
Master Chef

PsiGuy, you know your burgers. You are a burger making king. The only thing I do different, is that as I am forming the patty, I turn it with each pressing and firm the edges with my left thumb to produce a uniform edge. I also turn the patti about an eith of a turn with each pressing until I get teh burger flattened properly and slightly thinner in the center.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2004, 04:42 PM   #35
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North
PsiGuy, you know your burgers. You are a burger making king. The only thing I do different, is that as I am forming the patty, I turn it with each pressing and firm the edges with my left thumb to produce a uniform edge. I also turn the patti about an eith of a turn with each pressing until I get teh burger flattened properly and slightly thinner in the center.

I think I get what you're saying. Pretty much what I do, I think. I form my patties as though I were turning a steering wheel, but I firm up the edges of the patty with the palm of my left hand and use my thumbs to put pressure in the center to make it thinner.

BTW, when I grill them, I use a lot of charcoal. The hotter the fire the better. I love it when the outside of the burger is well seared. I use my Weber kettle, so there is no problem with flare ups. I season twice. I season the outside just before cooking and I find I need to season again while cooking because a lot of the seasoning washes out with the dripping fat.

The perfect burger is when it drips down my chin when I bite into it.

Oh yeah. I forgot one thing. When the beef is really lean, such as when I find buying better than 80% lean beef is cheaper, I add water to the ground beef. Lean ground beef needs the extra moisture. I add about 1/4 Cup of cold water to a pound or two of lean ground beef. If you add too much water, the patties will fall apart.

I don't add anything else to the beef. I don't want anything but salt and pepper on it. I just love that beefy flavor.
Old 09-23-2004, 07:30 AM   #36
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Psiguyy
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodweed of the North

I think I get what you're saying. Pretty much what I do, I think. I form my patties as though I were turning a steering wheel, but I firm up the edges of the patty with the palm of my left hand and use my thumbs to put pressure in the center to make it thinner.

BTW, when I grill them, I use a lot of charcoal. The hotter the fire the better. I love it when the outside of the burger is well seared. I use my Weber kettle, so there is no problem with flare ups. I season twice. I season the outside just before cooking and I find I need to season again while cooking because a lot of the seasoning washes out with the dripping fat.

The perfect burger is when it drips down my chin when I bite into it.

Oh yeah. I forgot one thing. When the beef is really lean, such as when I find buying better than 80% lean beef is cheaper, I add water to the ground beef. Lean ground beef needs the extra moisture. I add about 1/4 Cup of cold water to a pound or two of lean ground beef. If you add too much water, the patties will fall apart.

I don't add anything else to the beef. I don't want anything but salt and pepper on it. I just love that beefy flavor.
I know whatcha mean! If the meat is very lean, I also will add an egg-white to the raw meat and work it in. This helps it hold together and adds virtually no flavor. The burgers shrink less and hold their moisture better as well. And when grilling, like you, it's the Webber Covered Kettle with lots of charcol. There is no substitute, unless camping and cooking over an open fire. :D Then, you just gotta havae a good cast-ioron pan, or one of those grills that csose over the food so you can flip in over the food, grill and all.

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-23-2004, 05:10 PM   #37
Sous Chef

I think I like your egg white addition better than my using water. At least it will help hold the burger together just that much better and more protein won't hurt.
Old 09-24-2004, 12:07 AM   #38
Master Chef

Man! Is my typing ever getting sloppy. I'm going to start roof-reading. Honest :?

Old 09-27-2004, 05:25 PM   #39
Executive Chef

I've tried a few different things, and never really have yet perfected a good burger. Laurie, my other half, likes to use Broiled Steak Seasoning on the burgers, and cook them until done.

If I'm going all out, some a couple strips of bacon, some sauteed onions, then melted cheese, lettuce, pickles, ketchup & mustard on a toasted bun are what I do.
Old 09-28-2004, 09:07 AM   #40

I like to mix italian dressing to my hamburger meat, and season with onion and/or garlic salt, and cracked pepper before grilling. The hamburgers have a great flavor.

Tags
None