"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 02-07-2007, 08:26 AM   #11
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:
Originally Posted by ormandj
I work 16-18 hours a day, with a 1 hour commute each way. It doesn't leave much time for anything, even cooking is pushing it. (See intro forum for why I work so much/why I cook.) Also, it's not like I'm attempting to impress anyone - so what difference does it really make? The paper doesn't influence the taste of my food. I hardly think you are in a position to call me lazy, no offense - but I did take offense.

Also, as I spoke, I am moving soon - it wouldn't make a whole lot of sense to buy a bunch of dishes onto to pack them and boxes and find half of them broken from the 3000 mile journey across the sea. Stuff that survives moving vans doesn't survive so well crossing the Pacific. ;) I'll pick up a nice set of dishes and other assorted cookware once I'm relocated. I've got a huge shopping list of things I want to buy for cooking already.
hey man, sorry, didn't mean to offend, but i can get preachy about things like wasting paper for convenience. i'm trying to get dw to use cloth towels more, instead of so much paper towels.
and i know about long hours. worked around 800 hours o.t. last year. been working 6 day/55 hour or more work weeks since 1994.
still, it takes about as much effort to quickly wash a plate as it does to toss one out.
you don't need a whole stack of dishes, btw: a friend, robert, decided to be a nice guy and take in another friend while he was going thru a divorce. after a few months, robert was getting very tired of the sink being full of dirty dishes, and none clean for him to use. so he washed, dried, and boxed up everything except for 1 plate, 1 spoon, knife, and fork, and 1 cup. this way he'd have to only have to wash 1 of each when needed, and forced his "guest" to start asking for paper plates and plastic utensils with his take out. a simple solution to the problem. it was also the first time we sympathised with someone's ex-wife...

back to the steaks: you sound like you've got a good grip on the situation, now it's just gonna take practice.
the adjustable pepper mill is indispensible. i have one for sea salt too. since i've learned here about how the shape or size of salts affects how it tastes, i've been experimenting with grinding it in my dishes. i'm trying to reduce my salt intake, so a fine grind right before you eat something often does the trick.

as far as the broiler goes, try using the upper and lower slots of the broiler to see how that affects it, and also try different meats. we do skinless, bbq-sauced chicken parts just about every week (started in the broiler in the middle slot, 6 minutes a side, then into a pan, more sauce, reduce and bake at 350.)

good luck and let us know how things go.

Meh nom eh noh...doot dooooo do do do.
buckytom is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2007, 10:59 AM   #12
Head Chef

Send a message via AIM to college_cook
Ormandj- If your oil is smoking when you sear a steak then you have 2 possible issues- your pan is too hot or you are using the wrong type of oil, or possibly both.

For general purpose high heat frying I use only peanut oil. Its got a high smoking point and neutral flavor.

Also, when I'm searing a steak, I lik to keep my heat just b/w medium and medium high, but more on the medium side. just lightly oil your pan, season your steak, and get it in the pan. I usually let it sear for about 3-4 minutes.

With the pepper- If you prefer cracked pepper on your steak then just continue to break the corns with the bottom of a pan. Most pepper mills I've tried give you a pretty fine grind on the pepper corns, and I think that the way a lot of people prefer their pepper. I like a coarse grind, where the pepper bits aren't fine like sand, but not huge bits like cracked pepper. I've found that the McCormick Grinders black peppercorns gives a pretty nice coarse grind, and thats what I use for most everything.

As far as learning the press method, its just practice man. Keep making those steaks and get a feel for them as they come out of the oven. Really try to pay attention to how firm or soft your desired temp is.

Tags
None