"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 09-16-2005, 07:15 PM   #1
Master Chef

New to Me

This may not be new, but it's new to me. If you like surf'n turf, you should enjoy this. I don't know what to call it. Maybe someone could give me a great name for it.

Ingredients:
1 steak per person, your favorite cut for the grill
1/4 cup chunked crab or lobster meat, or surimi per steak
4 tbs. butter
1/4 cup minced onion
4 tbs. AP flour
Salt
Pepper
1 12oz. can clam broth

Fire up the grill. Season steak with S & P. Melt butter in a sauce pot. Add the onions and sweat until soft. Add the flour and stir into a roux. Thin the roux with the clam broth until it's smooth and creamy. Stir in 1 tsp of sweetener. I used Splenda, but you could use white sugar. Add the seafood and stir. Cover and turn off the stove.

Cook the steak to your liking on the grill. Plate and cover with the crab/lobster sauce. Serve with your favorite sides.

I tried this last night and the flavor was incredible. The seafood sauce, almost a bisque, complimented the steak so well. I just used chuck steak and crab surimi. I'll be making this dish again, which is why I need a name for it.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Chief Longwind Of The North is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2005, 07:25 PM   #2
Master Chef

New to me too. Sounds really good except one thing, I do not like clam anything. Is there something else that might work just as well??

Old 09-16-2005, 08:06 PM   #3
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by texasgirl
New to me too. Sounds really good except one thing, I do not like clam anything. Is there something else that might work just as well??
In this recipe you're not going to taste the calms if you use a can, or as you're more likely to find a bottle, of clam juice. It's a very delicate flavor that will enhance/reinforce but not dominate the flavor of the crab.

But, yeah - a couple of options. (1) Knorr makes a fish stock "bullion" cube you could use - find it in the grocery store where they have such things. (2) Make your own fumet from uncooked fish heads, bones and skins - or - shrimp/lobster/crawfish shells, etc. - toss them in a pot of COLD water to cover, bring to a boil, reduce to low/med-low, cover with a lid and simmer for 30 minutes - strain and use the broth.

Of course - the "other" options are ... water and chicken stock. Water will leave it tasteless and dull ... chicken stock will overpower and detract from the flavor of the crab. You could use an equal mix of canned chicken broth and water - but it's still going to detract from the delicate flavor of this portion of the dish.
Old 09-16-2005, 08:33 PM   #4
Master Chef

Thank you Michael!!
Thank YOU, Goodweed for the recipe!!
Old 09-16-2005, 08:49 PM   #5
Executive Chef

Send a message via MSN to urmaniac13 Send a message via Skype™ to urmaniac13
Interesting recipe, I would like to try it on a chicken breast instead of beef, I am sure it will be just as delicious
Old 09-16-2005, 10:32 PM   #6
Executive Chef

Ooooh - reminds me of a dish I had in a restaurant, and have made lots at home - the restaurant called it 'Fillet Oscar'; but it wasn't like any 'Oscar' type dish I'd ever had.

Very simply, a fillet (I've done it w/ribeye and strip steak, too), topped with crabmeat and tiny bay scallops, and bearnaise sauce poured over everything. To die for!
Old 09-16-2005, 11:23 PM   #7
Master Chef

Marm; I was jsut too tired to make a big meal tonight so I dined on that gourmet meal of meals, Banquet Turkey Pot Pies, with ketchup on top. The description of your post is killing me. It sounds incredible. Would you come over tomorrow night and make me some? Please?

It's just a short hop accross country. Can't be more than 2000 miles or so.

Seeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Check out my blog for the friendliest cooking instruction on the net. Go ahead. You know you want to.- http://gwnorthsfamilycookin.wordpress.com/
Old 09-16-2005, 11:25 PM   #8
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michael in FtW
In this recipe you're not going to taste the calms if you use a can, or as you're more likely to find a bottle, of clam juice. It's a very delicate flavor that will enhance/reinforce but not dominate the flavor of the crab.
Michael; you have such an experienced pallate. I'm glad you're on our side, whatever side that is.

Seeeeeeya; Goodweed of the North

Tags
None