"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef

Old 07-05-2015, 02:04 AM   #41
Chef Extraordinaire

Send a message via Skype™ to taxlady
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Taxi, just going by the picture of the salting in that article, I used about half that amount of Kosher salt. IMO from this salt lover, that's twice the amount of salt needed or wanted to get the best results. While I agree people have different tastes, I think the picture of the salted meat is way over the top. I hope you give it another try, as per GB's instructions.
I will and I will do it with a thicker steak and with less salt.

Old 07-05-2015, 02:57 AM   #42
Chef Extraordinaire

I have been salting now for almost a year. I cover all of the piece of meat. About the same amount as if I was salting it at the table on both sides. Then I wrap it in plastic wrap and place in the fridge overnight. When I am ready to cook the meat, I rinse it and then dry it very well. I get it as dry as I possibly can. The meat never needs salting when I go to eat it. And when cooked, it is tender and juicy.

With this method, I can see the juices that are coming to the top. Then as the time passes, you can see those juices going back into the meat flavored with the salt. I wish I had known about this method about 50 years ago.

Old 07-05-2015, 09:17 AM   #43
Sous Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by taxlady View Post
I was following the instructions in the article: 1 hour per inch thickness of steak.
ah. I'm male, so I don't have to follow directions and sometimes I don't.... (g)

because,,,, that particular one doesn't make a lot of sense to me.

the effect of salt drawing out moisture then wicking back into the meat is not going to penetrate inches into a steak. perhaps 1/4 inch.... and "the reaction" does take time. so, I blunder around not rinsing and doing thick and thin the same 2-3 hours....

what can I say, works for me.
Old 07-05-2015, 03:49 PM   #44
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by GB View Post
Hi to you both, and everyone else. Good to see you as well!
GB, my gosh, hello. It is great to see you here. Missed you. How are?
Old 07-08-2015, 11:31 AM   #45
Head Chef

Tried this on a couple of nice 1" rib-eyes last night - great process. I didn't coat them, but did sprinkle heavily with kosher salt. I let them sit for 3 hours, then grilled them. Came out perfectly, not too salty, perfect medium rare. This is my new process for grilling steak. Thank you for this thread!
Old 07-08-2015, 12:53 PM   #46
Master Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by RPCookin View Post
Tried this on a couple of nice 1" rib-eyes last night - great process. I didn't coat them, but did sprinkle heavily with kosher salt. I let them sit for 3 hours, then grilled them. Came out perfectly, not too salty, perfect medium rare. This is my new process for grilling steak. Thank you for this thread!
Glad it worked out for you too Rick. Let me ask if you also used the plastic wrap method, and did you rinse the meat before grilling? I didn't rinse, and used plastic wrap. Just curious.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 06:06 PM   #47
Head Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Glad it worked out for you too Rick. Let me ask if you also used the plastic wrap method, and did you rinse the meat before grilling? I didn't rinse, and used plastic wrap. Just curious.
I placed them a plate and covered that with plastic wrap pulled tightly across the meat. I did not rinse.
Old 07-08-2015, 08:50 PM   #48
Senior Cook

rib eye

I also feel that rib eye steaks are too good to be used in Philly steak sandwiches. We just got back from Philadelphia where we had great sandwiches in the Reading Market.
To duplicate them I bought some top sirloin and partially froze it, so I could slice it very thin. Kayelle sauteed some onions and red peppers along with the steak. We used Cheese Whiz on hoagie rolls.
Yum!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5089.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	88.6 KB
ID:	23095  
Old 07-13-2015, 04:46 AM   #49
Assistant Cook

I would suggest you dry rub them with your favorite seasoning and then grill them on the BBQ.

Serve them with some home made sweet potato fries and a nice salad. Yum!

http://www.kitchenchatters.com/
Kitchen Chatters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2015, 09:06 AM   #50
Senior Cook

I follow Heston Blumenthal's method. He's one of the best chefs in the world and his restaurant 'Fat Duck' is one of the best in the world.

Tags
None