Rolled rib roast

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

pelagius

Assistant Cook
I bought a 41/2 pound rolled rib roast, it turns out that I will have only eight guests.

What do I do with the meat left over?

My guests have tastes that range from medium rare to well done.

How do I prepare this roast so that each guest will have about a quarter pound to his or her liking?

Thanks

Well, you can keep it whole. The inside pieces will be more rare than the outer pieces. Use a temp and cook the inside to the rarest temp you are cooking. If the outer pieces are still too rare or medium rare cut them off and finish on the grill or a stovetop grill pan.

With the leftovers you can create one of my favorite salads. Use a nice mix of lettuce (in this instance some iceburg helps hold everything up).

Iceberg
other favorite lettuces
tomatoes
cucumbers
radishes
celery
spring onion or slivered red onion
carrots
sweet peppers
bleu cheese
top with "bar-type_ slices (about the size of the wooden Jenka game pieces)
a nice Italian vinaigrette

If you don't like any of the above ingredients just mix in what you do like. It's a really yummy, filling, salad. I'm sure I left a few ingredients out but it's one of those recipes where anything goes (well, almost) :chef:

Any left over roast around here usually ends up in a nice brown gravy or au jus we then put it on buttered warm french rolls and have great french dip sandwiches, with either a salad or nice thick creamy soup. A beef pot pie is an option as is a roast beef hash, or into a salad as Kitchen elf suggested.

kadesma:)

oh kadesma - a nice open-faced roast beef sandwich with a glop of mashed potatoes in the middle!!!!!! Beef potpie sounds wonderful too!

kitchenelf said:
oh kadesma - a nice open-faced roast beef sandwich with a glop of mashed potatoes in the middle!!!!!! Beef potpie sounds wonderful too!
It sounds so good, my tummy is complaining:LOL: It didn't like the cheese and crackers it got tonight:huh:

kadesma

I have got to learn not to come to DC when I am hungry!!! I am cooking (a very late) supper right now (tostadas), but reading about roast, mashed potatoes, and gravy has me positively drooling!!!!!!

:) Barbara

You may not have as much left over as you think you will. There is a lot of shrinkage.
But open faced sandwiches are good. A Thai beef salad would be delicious.

buy a deli slicer and just make a sandwich out of it, or home made beef kebabs yummmmmmmy!!!!

Last edited:
4 1/2 lbs. isn't that much, and like Gretchen said, the meat will shrink while cooking so if you cook it to about medium rare, you'll get about a 70-75% yield ratio. That means you'll get between 3 to 3 1/2 lbs. of cooked meat, which means everyone will get between 6 1/2 to 7 oz. of beef per serving. Depending on what else you're serving, you may not even have any leftovers at all.

Back
Top Bottom