"Discover Cooking, Discuss Life."

Go Back   Discuss Cooking - Cooking Forums > Recipes & Ingredients > Beef, Pork, Lamb & Venison > Beef
Click Here to Login

Old 03-11-2019, 10:53 PM   #1
Executive Chef

Spaghetti with meat sauce together, freezing

For convenience sakes, I've been making frozen dinners lately and freezing them for later (tuna casserole, lamb curry). I next want to make spaghetti and meat sauce to be frozen together. My homemade spaghetti (using ground beef) cooked up not as saucy as I wanted. It seems the meat sauce just fell around the spaghetti rather than mixing with it. I crumbled up the ground beef during cooking as best I could. It's almost like the ground beef could have been crumbled a bit finer or something to get it more saucy.

Secondly, should I cook up the pasta and freeze that separately or mix it in together with the meat sauce and freeze both together?

Caslon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 11:12 PM   #2
Chef Extraordinaire

When I make meat spaghetti sauce, I freeze it all by itself. Pasta products deteriorate a little when frozen. In spite of that, I have been known to freeze mac-and-cheese. : Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

If you really want to freeze a full meal, though, I would mix the spaghetti (or any other pasta shape) with a generous amount of sauce and pack into serving size containers. That way the sauce is insulating the pasta from any drying air in the freezer.

Old 03-11-2019, 11:32 PM   #3
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cooking Goddess View Post
When I make meat spaghetti sauce, I freeze it all by itself. Pasta products deteriorate a little when frozen. In spite of that, I have been known to freeze mac-and-cheese. : Ya gotta do what ya gotta do!

If you really want to freeze a full meal, though, I would mix the spaghetti (or any other pasta shape) with a generous amount of sauce and pack into serving size containers. That way the sauce is insulating the pasta from any drying air in the freezer.
Noted, thanks. I've been using bigger flatter Tuppererware containers for serving sizes. They de-thaw/warm up faster in the mirco than when using deep containers. About the sauce . I hope I relayed what I meant by the meat sauce not being of a more saucy consistence. For instance Stouffers frozen "Spaghetti with Meat Sauce" covers the spaghetti more evenly rather than slipping around the spaghetti strands.
Old 03-11-2019, 11:44 PM   #4
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caslon View Post
Noted, thanks. I've been using bigger flatter Tuppererware containers for serving sizes. They de-thaw/warm up faster in the mirco than when using deep containers. About the sauce . I hope I relayed what I meant by the meat sauce not being of a more saucy consistence. For instance Stouffers frozen "Spaghetti with Meat Sauce" covers the spaghetti more evenly rather than slipping around the spaghetti strands.
That is the reason to cook your pasta to al dente in boiling water, and finish cooking it in the sauce. You can also help the sauce cling to the pasta by adding just a bit of your pasta water into the sauce/pasta that is finishing together. The starch in the pasta water helps join the sauce and pasta together. Just a splash is enough.

CD
Old 03-12-2019, 12:10 AM   #5
Executive Chef

Got it, I think. Undercook the spaghetti and add it in at the end of the meat sauce cooking (if combining the two for freezing).

I was thinking also of undercooking the spaghetti a llttle and freezing it separately. Both would be zapped separately come dinner time.

I'm wondering whether or not the thawed spaghetti alone will microwave all stuck together. I always add some oil to the boiling pasta, that might help it not all stick together after microwaving (?).

P.S. Until my current stomach problems are over, I'm making these type dinners for future use. I've nothing better to do until then, cooking wise.
Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 AM   #6
Executive Chef

Quote:
Got it, I think. Undercook the spaghetti and add it in at the end of the meat sauce cooking (if combining the two for freezing).

I was thinking also of undercooking the spaghetti a llttle and freezing it separately. Both would be zapped separately come dinner time.

I'm wondering whether or not the thawed spaghetti alone will microwave all stuck together. I always add some oil to the boiling pasta, that might help it not all stick together after microwaving (?).

P.S. Until my current stomach problems are over, I'm making these type dinners for future use. I've nothing better to do until then, cooking wise.
1. Yes, the idea is for the pasta to finish cooking in the sauce. The pasta and sauce with incorporated better.

2. NO! do not put any oil in your pasta boiling water!!! That will definitely make your sauce run off your pasta. Nothing in your pasta water but salt. No oil!

CD
Old 03-12-2019, 12:37 AM   #7
Chef Extraordinaire

Quote:

P.S. With my current stomach problems, I'm making these type dinners for future use. I've nothing better to do, cooking wise.

Never ever add oil to your boiling well salted pasta water Caslon. The oil repels any sauce you add to your pasta.
Casey is right with this..
Quote:
That is the reason to cook your pasta to al dente in boiling water, and finish cooking it in the sauce. You can also help the sauce cling to the pasta by adding just a bit of your pasta water into the sauce/pasta that is finishing together. The starch in the pasta water helps join the sauce and pasta together. Just a splash is enough.

Kayelle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2019, 01:37 AM   #8
Executive Chef

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kayelle View Post
Never ever add oil to your boiling well salted pasta water Caslon. The oil repels any sauce you add to your pasta.
Casey is right with this..
Ah! no wonder the meat sauce kept slipping off. I'm using too small a pan to begin with. I added oil to minimize foamy overspill, which won't happen if I boil the pasta in a bigger pot. Noted and noted.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:31 AM   #9
Chef Extraordinaire

When I am faced with the dilemma of "can I freeze it or not", I try to remember if I can buy it frozen at the store already.

I know they have additives in the commercial product that help prevent freezer burn. I just try to have it slightly undercooked. Then it will finish cooking in the micro.
Old 03-12-2019, 08:57 AM   #10
Chef Extraordinaire

Site Moderator

I freeze my leftover spaghetti mixed with meat sauce all the time, in ziplock freezer bags. No special treatment, my spaghetti is al dente and not cooked with oil in the water. Nukes up just fine.

Tags
free, meat, sauce, spaghetti