Your favorite way to cook skirt steak

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

abjcooking

Head Chef
I have seen skirt steak cooked many ways. I really love the flavor of the meat and the tenderness of it and would love some TNT recipes. I have heard that until recently it was overlooked and many of the butchers would take it home for themselves. I myself have just started cooking it this past year.
If you could choose 1 way, or at least 1 of your favorite ways to cook it, what would be your choice?

OK here are a few I found. Any other great ideas? Could you use this cut of meat to wrap around stuffing or something different than just marinateing and cooking?

Allen MI
Seared Skirt Steak with Chipotle and Garlic
This sounds good. I may have to make this soon.

Seared Skirt Steak with Chipotle and Garlic
Yield: 4 servings

3 Chipotle chiles in Adobo
15 garlic cloves, unpeeled
5 medium tomatillos, husked and rinsed
salt
¼ t sugar
1 T olive oil
-or- vegetable oil
-or- rich tasting lard
4 pieces (5 – 6 oz) of skirt steak, trimmed of exterior fat
1 medium white onion, thinly sliced
½ t cumin
½ t black pepper
2/3 c beef stock
chopped cilantro for garnish

Roast unpeeled garlic on the griddle or skillet, turning occasionally, until soft
(they will blacken in spots), about 15 minutes; cool and peel. Roast tomatillos under broiler for 5 minutes, until blackened on one side, flip and repeat on other side.
In a food processor, puree peeled tomatillos and their juices, chiles, and three peeled cloves garlic into a fine textured puree. Taste and season with salt and sugar. Set aside.
Heat the oil or lard in a large heavy skillet over medium heat. When very hot, pat the steak dry, sprinkle with salt and lay in the pan in a single layer. Sear well on both sides until meat is rare to medium rare, 3 – 4 minutes. Remove to rack set over a plate. Add the onions to the skillet and cook, stirring regularly, until brown but still crunchy, about 5 minutes. Add the salsa to the skillet along with the cumin, pepper, and remaining cloves of garlic. Stir as the salsa reduces for several minutes, then stir in the broth and simmer for about 5 minutes. Return the meat to the pan and let it warm through, about 5 minutes or until the meat is done to your liking. Taste the sauce and add a little more salt and sugar if necessary. With a spatula or slotted spoon, transfer the steaks to a serving platter, then spoon the sauce, onions and garlic over and around them. Sprinkle with the cilantro.

Sierra Cook
REC - Szechwan Beef Stir Fry
I have used regular sesame oil for this recipe. The only change is that the sesame flavor is not as intense. Since I hate baby corn:sick: I omit that ingredient.

Szechwan Beef Stir Fry

1 lb. beef flank steak
2 tbsp. soy sauce
4 tsp. dark roasted sesame oil
1 1/2 tsp. sugar
1 tsp. cornstarch
2 cloves garlic, crushed
1 tbsp. minced fresh ginger
1/4 tsp. crushed red pepper pods
1 small red bell pepper, cut into 1-inch pieces
1 package (8oz.) frozen baby corn, defrosted
1/4 lb. snow peas, julienned

Cut beef steak lengthwise into 2 strips; slice across the grain into 1/8-inch thick strips. Combine soy sauce, 2 tsp. sesame oil, sugar, and cornstarch; stir into strips. Heat remaining 2 tsp. of sesame oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add garlic, ginger, and pepper pods and stir-fry for 30 seconds. Add bell pepper and corn; stir fry for 1 1/2 minutes. Add snow peas and stir fry for 30 seconds. Remove vegetables from skillet. Stir fry beef strips in two batches for 2-3 minutes. Return vegetables and beef to skillet and heat through. Makes 4 servings.

GB
Lime-Soaked Cumin Skirt Steak With Green Olive Relish

2 pounds skirt steak
Juice of 8 limes
2-3 tablespoons ground cumin
2-3 cloves of garlic, minced
1/3 cup roughly chopped fresh cilantro
Kosher salt and freshly cracked black pepper to taste
Extra virgin olive oil

For the relish
1/2 cup finely chopped pitted green olives
1 teaspoon chopped dried red chile peppers of your choice, or to taste
1/4 cup olive oil
2 tablespoons freshly cracked black pepper

Squeeze the limes into a large zip lock bag. Place the steak in the bag and squeeze out as much air as possible then seal. Place in the fridge for 30 minutes to 1 hour (do not go longer than 1 hour). Turn occasionally.

In a small bowl, combine all the rub ingredients and mix well. Use enough olive oil to make a paste. Remove the steak from the marinade, pat dry with paper towels, and rub it all over with the spice rub, pressing gently to be sure it adheres.

In a medium bowl, combine all the relish ingredients and mix well.

Grill the steaks over medium heat until done to your liking. Let them rest for 5 minutes and then slice as thin as possible across the grain. Serve with olive relish.

GB
Chimichurri Steak

Flank or Skirt steak

For the marinade:
1/4 cup chopped garlic
1/2 cup chopped onion
2 cups orange juice
1/2 cup fresh lime juice
1/2 cup EVOO
4 tbsp kosher salt
1 tbsp black pepper
2 tsp dried oregano
1 tbsp chopped fresh cilantro

Saute garlic and onions till soft. Put in a zip lock bag and add the rest of the ingredients. Put flank or skirt steaks in the marinade bag and squeeze out as much air as possible. Marinate for 24 hours.

Take steak and pat dry. Grill steak until med rare. Let steaks rest then slice thin on the bias. Serve with Chimichurri Sauce

(The marinade recipe calls for blending all the ingredients before adding them to the ziplock bag, but I think I always forget that step and it works just fine. I will try that step next time though).

Can anyone please explain the difference between...

- hanger steak
- skirt
- flank steak

TIA,
Alex R.

I spice up mine with Worchestire sauce and Season All salt, marinade for 1 to 2 hours, overnight if possible then bake for about 20 minutes. Slice them against the grain of the meat (julienne cut). Stir fry them with a bit of EVOO, julienne green and red bell peppers, minced fresh garlic, and onions until vegetables are tender. Serve on hot flour tortillas with pico de gallo or any hot sauce, topped with avocado slices and sour cream. Excellent Mexican food dish in our state.

Dina

I have actually cooked it the same way I do liver, with some butter and onions. Super quick and tasty.

:) Barbara

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom