Black forest ham

The friendliest place on the web for anyone that enjoys cooking.
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cafeandy

Senior Cook
i've asked this question in another message board twice and got no responses. maybe i'll get a bite here...
what distinguishes a black forest ham to make it a black forest ham?

bonus question...
did adam or eve have navels.

Found this -

"Black Forest ham
This ham is made to a traditional recipe reflecting local German farming and butchery techniques. Like other dry cured meats, the pork is not cooked but dry cured with sea salt and seasoning. Subtle hints are introduced by rubbing the surface of the ham with elderberry, juniper, garlic and coriander.

Waitrose Black Forest ham is then smoked over beechwood chippings to give a balanced flavour and matured for almost a year. The firm slices are pinky red with a smoky brown edge.
Uses: Black Forest ham makes an ideal addition to any pasta dish. Try adding chopped slices to homemade macaroni cheese or stir into pasta with a ready-made pasta sauce. Alternatively, use the ham to wrap around chicken breast fillets prior to pan frying or oven roasting. This not only adds flavour but keeps the chicken moist.
To store: Keep in the fridge and consume by the use by date. Once opened eat within 2 days."

Answer to bonus question - Depends on your theory of evolution! ;)

thanx, marmalady.

i elaborate on the bonus question at great risk of crossing the dreaded R&P line [religion & politics]. my theory of evolution starts at Genesis 1:1 bolstered by the notion that evolution is a tool of God and is currently on-going. i also believe He drew a line in the sand and created man separately from animals and thus fashioned adam [and then eve] from His own image [which, in my mind, is whatever He wants it to be]. i don't believe adam or eve were as refined physically as we are...evolution took care of that. having said that, i believe that future generations will be more physically and mentally advanced than us until God calls it a day for us.

now, let's all get back to food...

A better question is: Was Adam a man before Eve, or did she come with an attachment?

This really isn't a place to testify, y'know. Maybe in General Discussion, but it's really not kosher in this context.

Anyhow, marmalady, is sounds like whoever is calling what you described "Black Forest ham" has got a smoke-cooked ham native to the Schwartzwald confused with the equally German Westfalia ham (which is like a German prosciutto), which is indeed dry-cured over beechwood.

Black Forest ham is a cooked ham, not a cured ham. It's smoked over pine and fir, and the outside is coating with beef blood and seasonings to give it it's signature dark exterior.

marmalady said:
8) - Don't shoot the messenger, LMJ :D ! I just cut and pasted from a googley search!

Sorry, didn't think I was doing that. Didn't mean to if I did. :)

thanx, guys...
i just back in town from the hunting lodge. we had hunters from florida and alabama who literally had to chainsaw their way thru trees in the driveway to get to the airport to fly to san antonio, tx. they took a limo 150 miles to the lodge from the airport.

ya gotta luv a dedicated hunter. not even multiple hurricanes keep them from showing up. one of them is a cuban who asked for my chipotle salsa recipe. the irony was lost on me for a day or two.

cafeandy said:
thanx, guys...
i just back in town from the hunting lodge. we had hunters from florida and alabama who literally had to chainsaw their way thru trees in the driveway to get to the airport to fly to san antonio, tx. they took a limo 150 miles to the lodge from the airport.

ya gotta luv a dedicated hunter. not even multiple hurricanes keep them from showing up. one of them is a cuban who asked for my chipotle salsa recipe. the irony was lost on me for a day or two.

yeah, yeah, but did you make my cheesecake?

wellllllllll, no...they wanted bread pudding with a raspberry bourbon coulis. this was a bunch a southern lawyers. next week we'll have a more 'diverse' crowd. we'll do it then.

Hmmm....Andy, were you over near Bandera? (Used to go there yearly to hunt big horn with my dad).

actually the lodge is on the banks of the nueces river about 4 or 5 miles south of camp wood, tx on hwy 55 [30 miles north of uvalde].

Fairly close. What a great way to spend a weekend. Hope you fellows were successful. I'm certain you ate well, regardless!

haven't been able to hunt yet...too busy. i'm the chef. the pressure of serving 30 'well oiled' rich guys with guns every weekend is tremendous.

i'm here to please:

CHIPOTLE SALSA
makes about 4 cups

2 large onions, peeled and quartered
8 to 10 cloves of garlic
6 to 8 tomatoes
1 small can Chipotle chilies
2 to 3 tablespoons olive oil
salt and fresh coarse ground black pepper

Put the onion, garlic and tomatoes on a baking sheet and put under the broiler until the skins of the tomatoes are mostly blackened and blistered. You will need to turn them periodically with tongs. When cool enough to handle, remove the skins under cold running water.

Put all onion, garlic, tomatoes and chilies in your blender or food processor and puree. You may have to work in batches.

Heat the oil in a heavy skillet and pour in the puree. Careful! It may splatter. Reduce heat and simmer the sauce until it is thickened, stirring frequently. Season to taste with salt and pepper.

Except for the fact that Black Forest Ham originated in the Black Forest of Germany and I had it there for the first time over 30 years ago I do noto know. Has been my favorite ever since. What we find here is not authentic and tastes different. Most packaging says 'Black Forest Type Ham.' There is one I get at TJ's and the PC markets here that is close. Of course, the pallet may not remember what it had 30+ years ago, but that is the ham I always reach for.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

Re: black forest ham

cafeandy said:
i've asked this question in another message board twice and got no responses. maybe i'll get a bite here...
what distinguishes a black forest ham to make it a black forest ham?

bonus question...
did adam or eve have navels.

I do not think the garden of eden had a Navy :LOL:

Except for the fact that Black Forest Ham originated in the Black Forest of Germany and I had it there for the first time over 30 years ago I do noto know. Has been my favorite ever since. What we find here is not authentic and tastes different. Most packaging says 'Black Forest Type Ham.' There is one I get at TJ's and the PC markets here that is close. Of course, the pallet may not remember what it had 30+ years ago, but that is the ham I always reach for.

green.gif
:roll: GO DUCKS

I dunno, norgeskog, I live in Munich and it seems like the Black Forest Ham that we eat here (obviously authentic) and the one we get from our gourmet "charcuterie" back in the States when we are visiting are remarkably similar. If the smoking is done properly, I can tell little difference. I think the main difference is that everything is SO fresh here and they use no preservatives, so maybe if the company that is curing the meat uses something in addition to smoking to preserve the meat, the taste will be different. Dunno... last time I was in the States was 2 months ago. ;) I was amazed at how CHEMICAL everything tasted. Everything here is just so FRESH, from scratch.

Edited to add: I agree with norgeskog that the stuff you get pre-packaged or from large chain grocery store delis is NOT anything like Black Forest Ham. Try going to a gourmet deli - from what I've heard, some even do the curing/smoking themselves. The BFH that we get in the US that tastes so authentic is from such a deli.

Latest posts

Back
Top Bottom